I was wondering if someone can help me. I have been doing a lot of reading concerning the Verizon 8830 (I currently own one). I know that GPS is disabled by the provider, and so far there is no fix/crack/update for it. My question is the picture/MMS messaging. Is there anyway to unlock it? I think it is a pain that you have to log on to Verizon's website to check a picture message that should be sent to the phone. And just because I can't take pictures with my phone doesn't mean I might not want to send a picture to someone. So, if anyone has some insight to my question it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    12-26-07 10:05 PM
    You could always email it. Doesn't Verizon have an email addy for MMS messaging like they do SMS? I know SMS is #@vtext.com I think they have a similar one for MMS. Then just have a friend that wants to send you a pic actually just email you. In my opinion paying for text message pack a BB is silly since you just do the same thing via email for free, or get jivetalk and use AIM to send messages.
    12-27-07 06:47 AM
    There's no way to unlock it, in my opinion it was a bad decision on verizons part to disable the MMS on the unit.

If you log into your BIS area, (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw) you can set up a blackberry.net email address, i've been able to MMS that address to get pictures and things to work. its instant too, no delay like POP email.

As far as sending images from the phone, I haven't had any luck there.
    Last edited by pgregory; 12-27-07 at 07:55 AM.
    12-27-07 07:53 AM
    The MMS is actually controlled by a Service Book on VZW's network. Those of you with an 8130 will see this if you go into Service Books and look for MMS Transport.
    12-27-07 09:59 AM
    Doesn't Verizon have an email addy for MMS messaging like they do SMS? I know SMS is #@vtext.com I think they have a similar one for MMS. Then just have a friend that wants to send you a pic actually just email you. In my opinion paying for text message pack a BB is silly since you just do the same thing via email for free, or get jivetalk and use AIM to send messages.
    Yes, the address is [email protected]. You still have to log into Verizons site and retrieve the pictures. It's a pain in my opinion. The best way in my opinion is to have the pictures emailed to your blackberry.
    12-27-07 11:12 AM
    Yes, the address is [email protected]. You still have to log into Verizons site and retrieve the pictures. It's a pain in my opinion. The best way in my opinion is to have the pictures emailed to your blackberry.
    The part that really get me. Why, should I be forced by VZW to visit their site, when I have a phone that is capable of receiving MMS. Little by little Verizon is prodding me to take a look at the competition.
    12-27-07 01:40 PM
    You can use the GPS on your 8830 with Verizon, you have to update to the new OS and pay them $10/month to use it.
    12-29-07 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD