am trying to use DesktopManager which I've used before. But when I go to try installing an application, I get an error prompt box

More or less as the subject shows. "supporting active dialup networking session.

I don't exactly know what that means in this context.

I don't think I've set anything up merely connected the usb to the BB8830.
    01-21-08 09:14 PM
    While I would still appreciate info if anyone has any....

I rebooted the BB twice to no avail.

About 2 hours later I tried again and this time it worked. I don't believe that I changed anything in reference to the phone.

I am not aware of any dun stuff running other than my normal dsl which has always been running.
    01-21-08 11:24 PM
    I am getting the same error.

I can sync, but I cannot use the application loader. Is there any other way to delete applications on the BB?
    03-21-08 02:28 PM
    Just a 2 day newbie here, but this worked for me:

Access Mobile Network options and turn Data Services off.
    Now you should be able to load your applications without the error.
    Don't forget to turn Data Services back on when you are finished.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers
    03-22-08 08:42 AM
    I had the same problem, although none of the solutions anywhere-including this one helped. What I figured out was to go to control panel-> Network internet Connections-> on the left side menu, Phone and Modem options-> Modem tab-> disable all modems by selecting and properties button at the bottom-> disable. This worked with my phone fully operational, including data on, radio on, etc. I did not reboot the phone or computer either. I have tried data off, radio off, disabling in network connections, unplugging lan on my computer, removing battery with phone powered off and on, with no wireless turned on. Nothing worked until I disabled the modems. I do not and have never used a modem or dial up connection on this computer and it has never caused me a problem until now.
    07-16-09 04:54 AM
    Just to add here - I had Tether installed on my PC. I uninstalled Tether (formerly tetherberry) and it worked. It must hold a subconnection.
    02-12-10 05:41 AM
    I reflash a few blackberrys per day, and this does tend to pop up on every 100th one or so. I've tried rebooting, reinstalling desktop manager, power cycling the phone, JL Commander, turning off the radio, deleting any test connections from my network connections, removing and reinstalling the device's drivers... Nothing seems to help. The only solution I've found is heading off to lunch, and when i get back it works fine and dandy. Unless the gremlins are fixing it for me while I'm gone, I think it's just a glitch on RIM's end, say when DM tries to download a current SW list. I've noticed a similar error when actually trying to update the software, it will give a message like "Unable to download software, check your internet connection and try again." Also fixed by a nice lunch break. When it happens I've tried it on other tech's stations too, and they get the same error. Just have to wait it out and try later.
    03-31-10 06:20 PM
    I ran into this problem. And I found a pretty straight-forward solution after none of the suggestions here worked:

- With the "dial-up" dialog still on the screen, unplug the USB cable.
    - Click Retry, it will then pop up a new dialog saying it's looking to connect to the JVM.
    - Plug the USB back in and go with it.

Simple as that.
    05-13-10 02:38 PM
    this idea worked great
    05-24-10 02:06 PM
    I ran into this problem. And I found a pretty straight-forward solution after none of the suggestions here worked:

- Click Retry, it will then pop up a new dialog saying it's looking to connect to the JVM.

Simple as that.
    this idea is what worked for me great idea
    05-24-10 02:09 PM
    Do make sure that you kill the MS Messenger application - this helped me to be able to upgrade my BB.
    06-07-10 08:54 AM
    I was experiencing the same issue and tried all of the suggestions mentioned in this forum (at the time of this posting).

Here's what I did and it worked for me:

1st: I unplugged the USB cable from the BB but left the error screen up on the PC. (the one that says "The current device is currently supporting a dial-up networking session".

2nd: I went into Options \ Memory \ "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode when Connected". I turned my setting to "Prompt" and saved that setting when exiting. Changing this setting to "NO" should also work.

3rd: Plugged the usb cable back in and when the BB prompted my on the screen to enable mass storage mode I selected "NO".

4th: Clicked the "retry" button on the PC and away it went.

It worked for me and I hope it works for anyone else experiencing this issue.
    Shesammy likes this.
    06-19-10 11:50 AM

Simple as that.

THANK YOU! This has been so frustrating!
    06-27-10 01:13 PM
    Also, putting my Storm INTO mass storage mode cured my dial-up networking issue.
    08-20-10 05:25 PM
    I was experiencing the same issue and tried all of the suggestions mentioned in this forum (at the time of this posting).

Here's what I did and it worked for me:

1st: I unplugged the USB cable from the BB but left the error screen up on the PC. (the one that says "The current device is currently supporting a dial-up networking session".

2nd: I went into Options \ Memory \ "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode when Connected". I turned my setting to "Prompt" and saved that setting when exiting. Changing this setting to "NO" should also work.

3rd: Plugged the usb cable back in and when the BB prompted my on the screen to enable mass storage mode I selected "NO".

4th: Clicked the "retry" button on the PC and away it went.

It worked for me and I hope it works for anyone else experiencing this issue.
    thank you thank you thank you.... worked like a charm!!!
    03-27-11 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD