Things don't seem to be going well with our GPS issue and Verizon. I'm the last person to "take you to court" but it seems like it is the only option to solve the situation. Please post your thoughts and let me know if you are interested.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-07 05:34 PM
    Watch Verizon just settle and say instead of activating the GPS which would mean upgrading some of their systems they decide to give up the BB devices altogether. Chances of that are slim to none, but I love when things backfire because of mediocre things. Like I said before, you have no case. They never offered it to you, so you cannot sue for them not having something you never had in the first place.

Next people will be sueing Garmin because they don't put Text to speech on all the navigation systems. Though its capable, it is not enabled.
    07-27-07 10:47 AM
    Watch Verizon just settle and say instead of activating the GPS which would mean upgrading some of their systems they decide to give up the BB devices altogether. Chances of that are slim to none, but I love when things backfire because of mediocre things. Like I said before, you have no case. They never offered it to you, so you cannot sue for them not having something you never had in the first place.

Next people will be sueing Garmin because they don't put Text to speech on all the navigation systems. Though its capable, it is not enabled.
    Thank you the issue just needs to be dropped already there are literally 5 or 6 new threads every day on every BB or mobile phone forum.
    07-27-07 11:00 AM
    I second that. Thank you.
    07-27-07 11:02 AM
    Reason of the new threads is nobody is reading the old threads and they are just getting thier phones.
    07-27-07 02:56 PM
    their fault then.
    07-27-07 02:57 PM
    Give it a rest. Go buy a Garmin; you'll get a better product.
    07-27-07 03:11 PM
    The Garmin c550 is nice. so is the 540 (but its costly cuz its only available in europe). 550 has text to speech and the 340 and be hacked to use text to speech through the firmware. I got a write up around here somewheres if you need em.
    07-27-07 03:14 PM
    Give it a rest. Go buy a Garmin; you'll get a better product.

Agreed the Nuvi series is AWESOME! Some even have built in bluetooth support for hands free!
    07-27-07 03:45 PM
    Sent an email to Verizon, here is the response I got concerning Verizon Navigator: If you need GPS that bad get a puck, wait for Verizon or go to Sprint.

Mr. Dionne,

Mr. Strigl has asked me to respond to your e mail.

Verizon Wireless anticipates VZ Navigator being released in the later this year for the Blackberry. There may be software updates required for the handsets being sold currently, but there are no details available that I can share with you at this time.

Please feel free to e mail me directly should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless
    HQ Executive Relations Supervisor
    e-mail [email protected]

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 4:05 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: GPS
    Importance: High

I have no problem with Verizon disabling the GPS capability, just wondering when VZNAVIGATOR will be released for the 8830
    07-27-07 03:48 PM
    What are these "oh-so-incredible" features I'm missing with the GPS?
    07-27-07 04:20 PM
    Sent an email to Verizon, here is the response I got concerning Verizon Navigator: If you need GPS that bad get a puck, wait for Verizon or go to Sprint.

Mr. Dionne,

Mr. Strigl has asked me to respond to your e mail.

Verizon Wireless anticipates VZ Navigator being released in the later this year for the Blackberry. There may be software updates required for the handsets being sold currently, but there are no details available that I can share with you at this time.

Please feel free to e mail me directly should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless
    HQ Executive Relations Supervisor
    e-mail [email protected]

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 4:05 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: GPS
    Importance: High

I have no problem with Verizon disabling the GPS capability, just wondering when VZNAVIGATOR will be released for the 8830
    Sounds like a STROKE job to me, hmmm GPS and VZ navigator 8830?

Yep there stroking you, they will enable GPS to there liking and comfort and thats it.

Returned my 8830 tonight, they actually argued that GPS was enabled, 45 minutes later the tech came up and said NO its not, got another 50 dollar credit to my account because I told the acting manager that he wasted 45 minutes of my time. and walked out with my V3C razor restored and enabled fully . Now I just have to find a provider that has "EVERYTHING" they say they do and back it.

CIAO
    07-27-07 05:20 PM
    The issue is not that "people did not read the threads and bought a product that was not advertised as having a GPS.". It was specifically advertised as having a GPS and customer service representatives said it would - but it does not.

07-27-07 06:26 PM
    The issue is not that "people did not read the threads and bought a product that was not advertised as having a GPS.". It was specifically advertised as having a GPS and customer service representatives said it would - but it does not.

I agree, but I will say this, there high priced attorny's will squander there way out of this, and in the end the people that pushed the lawsuit will have egg on there face, heck maybe even the whole skillet .

Like I was told tonight when I returned my 8830 the rep said the GPS is going to be available in a short period or this fall for VZ Nav but NOTHING else.

Making money the HONEST way is all well in good but to blatantly lie to the consumer is another thing. But large Corporations get away with it.

And until someone grows a set of brass balls or other gender parts and follows through and takes these lying sacks of **** down it will keep on happening

My 10 cents
    Last edited by Jarhead; 07-27-07 at 07:23 PM.
    07-27-07 07:21 PM
    I do think that their could be a case made agaist verizon. Dose anyone remember the motorola V710 case with the bluetooth. It has many simmilaritys. Verizon has been makeing false claims. I know people who have heard this before. But verizon could have avoided a lot of this if they would have possibly removed the blackberry maps. It leads consumers to believe there is a gps feature. Also i dont know how legal it is to disable a standarded feature in a phone that every other carrier has. Its fine if they want to charge for it but can they leagaly cripple a phone? I know they have been for years but the goverment may be willing to get involved if they realize it not allowing for fair competion. When every other carrier has the gps feature the average consumer would assume that verizons would also have it. Verizon need to deside what they are doing or they are going to be facing league action from lawsuits and the goverment. They are on the verge of haveing illegal business practices the way they are going right now.
    07-27-07 11:31 PM
    I'm in! I don't know if it will work, but Verizon is not about customer service or doing the right thing and they have to wake up and spell the roses.
    07-27-07 11:37 PM
    How about voting with your dollars and switch to Sprint ? I am very glad I did years ago, has saved me a ton of money and headaches.
    07-28-07 12:44 AM
    I dont have the luxury of doing that my whole family is on verizon.
    07-28-07 08:42 AM
    Yeah I'm in a similar situation...we have 4 phone lines and one aircard line...to expensive to drop all the lines and pay the penalties for each...
    07-28-07 11:59 AM
    This is a software problem, not a hardware one...

If you can see the GPS satellites, you can use GPS. This is a DoD service that has *nothing* to do with Verizon.

If you download the system software, you'll see the .cod files (Java executables). Someone needs to find the appropriate module from a provider that has this enabled, and splice it with Verizon's software package.

Then... wait for it... voila... GPS starts to work.

I'm guessing that's how it would unroll anyway.

You could also unlock your phone and go over to ATT or another carrier. This would be much more effective than a lawsuit, and require a lot less $$ and effort.
    07-28-07 12:13 PM
    Exactly its disabled in the file structure, only thing is I do not think that this has been successfull as far as loading someone else's cod files, I know it was discussed over on Blackberryforums.com a while back and I think that someone tried something with BellSouths version "Dont quote me on it"

Its also kinda like the instructions for loading BBMaps on an 8800 , All I did was go and connect to BB's site searched for BBMaps stepped through each step selecting the correct device connected the USB cable it downloaded rebooted, went outside my office and waited for 2 minutes or less and it had 8 than 10 than 12 satelites locked on and worked great.

Lawsuit, hmmmmm the law side of Verizon will baffle everyone with BS and while there doing that they'll step up the programming dept to enable the gps sooner than later and prove everyone wrong.

Just like VZW will not drop pricing, then the executives would be unhappy, unhappy means more BS, and less jet setting, its kinda like the US Government , they say one thing but do the opposite. and smile and grin and nod , executive decision
    07-28-07 01:58 PM
    Could be worse you could be this guy
    Thats AT&T For Ya
    07-29-07 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD