Another *novice* question.
    1. When I plg the 8830 into the home charger to charge -- how do know when the charge is complete? With my old cell phone -- the screen changed and said charge complete. Does the 8830 do this also?
    2. If I plug the 8830 to my computer via a USB cable - does that charge the battery?

THANKS for your help,
    Ramona
    08-01-07 09:46 AM
    Next to the battery symbol, there is a lighten bolt, when it's complete, it will disappear...
    08-01-07 09:53 AM
    I just plugged the USB cable in -- looks like an elec plug on the very right of to top of the screen (next to the battery indicator). IS that what you mean? Does it charge with the USB cable too?
    Ramona
    08-01-07 09:56 AM
    Yes, and yes, some devices show the 'plug', and some show the 'lighten bolt'...
    08-01-07 10:10 AM
    Yes, and yes, some devices show the 'plug', and some show the 'lighten bolt'...

....and sometimes when you plug yout 8830 into a USB port (usually on the front of a PC) you will see a message on the blackberry screen that informs you that the current being supplied by the USB port IS NOT sufficient to charge your device.

You can still connect for sync purposes, but be warned you are running off the battery on the BB. The danger is if you are transferring date to or from the memory card in the BB and the battery on the BB goes flat. You could have some corruption.
    08-01-07 10:35 AM
    The status light will flash green while charging and solid green when charge is complete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-07 12:27 PM
    When this happens, it means the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software is NOT install, or you have a 4.2.* OS device, and are still using the old Desktop Manager software!

....and sometimes when you plug yout 8830 into a USB port (usually on the front of a PC) you will see a message on the blackberry screen that informs you that the current being supplied by the USB port IS NOT sufficient to charge your device.
    08-01-07 01:54 PM
    When this happens, it means the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software is NOT install, or you have a 4.2.* OS device, and are still using the old Desktop Manager software!

Now, that is just SILLY! If the desktop software is not installed why in the heXX does it lie to you about the charging current?

I would think the message should read.

"This computer does not have Desktop manager loaded on it so you cannot sync your device to this computer."
    08-01-07 08:05 PM
    LOL - dlathem, you're funny...
    08-02-07 06:14 AM
    Now, that is just SILLY! If the desktop software is not installed why in the heXX does it lie to you about the charging current?

I would think the message should read.

"This computer does not have Desktop manager loaded on it so you cannot sync your device to this computer."
    Having the device driver installed (via the latest Desktop Manager) enables a higher current output from the USB port in the computer. Just a guess, but makes sense since when I use chargers that I know don't have sufficient current output capability (such as those for a PS/3 controller) I get the same message.
    08-02-07 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD