what is a good amout of time to charge the cell for a full battery? the sales person at verizon told me that if I charge the cell more than 4 hours I can nuke it...even if its turned off ......and never charge it over night? This sounds a little scetchy to me......?
    01-09-08 08:03 PM
    Well I am not sure if I am the one to answer your question, but I will tell you my experience. I have to 8310 curves and we charge them every two days overnight. We will plug them up around 8pm and unplug them around 5am, they are usually fully charged in about 2 hours or so.
    01-09-08 08:08 PM
    This is funny. Just plug it in and charge it overnight. There's no such thing as something blowing up or nuking or for that matter "overcharging". Once the battery is charged smart circuitry regulates/turns it off as needed. It's 2008, not 1908.
    01-10-08 10:03 AM
    what is a good amout of time to charge the cell for a full battery? the sales person at verizon told me that if I charge the cell more than 4 hours I can nuke it...even if its turned off ......and never charge it over night? This sounds a little scetchy to me......?
    I've had my 8830 for 6 months or so and I charge it every night from around 11pm to 9am - haven't noticed any strain on the battery and it will hold a charge for 2 days or so if need be.
    01-10-08 10:05 AM
    The new thing with 8830 is that the new feature allows the battery charge but the BB WE has like a point where the phone and computer can communicate with each and the battery will actually stop charging so it doesn't over charge. Its really cool. Anyways check it out. Just plug it in and come back in three hrs or so and you will the the little charge plug will be gone then check the battery status it will say 100%
    01-10-08 06:53 PM
    Really the only reason to unplug your BB when it's done charging is to prevent the AC adapter from drawing trickle energy and wasting it as heat. That's a good enough reason to me.
    01-10-08 07:07 PM
    i charge my 8830 every other night by leaving it plugged in to the wall charger. if it's running out at work, i just leave it plugged in to my computer.

any rechargeable lithium batteries, Li-Ion or Li-Po, inherently need a "smart" charger. if you charge them with a blunt-force float charger like a Ni-Cd takes then that can nuke them to the point of leaking and other Bad Things. luckily, the BBs and pretty much any USB-charging Li-Ion device have internal battery charging circuitry run by very small chips. (i had a clever link to show just how small these chips get, but i don't have 10 posts yet. i hope you can see my eyes rolling from here.)

the bottom line is that as long as the input voltage is in-spec, it's impossible to damage batteries with smart chargers.

just make sure to know when to charge it. my two day frequency is based on the disturbing discovery that my 8830 will actually lock you out of the device radio if the battery drops below 15%. i can't fathom how someone came up with this, but i can fathom how they need a good smack on the back of the head: it's an almost incomprehensible safety issue to be bluntly locked out of making phone calls. and you can't even make a call when it's plugged in until it's charged past 15%. it hurts to think about it, and it's by far the worst thing i have discovered about these great phones.

- emilio
    01-10-08 07:09 PM
    thats what I thought, but wanted to just check,....thanks for the input.....Eugene
    01-10-08 09:02 PM
    Actually, radio drop happens at 5-10% battery.
    01-10-08 09:28 PM
    Actually, radio drop happens at 5-10% battery.
    ah - perhaps it's 15% where it lets you turn it back on.

nonetheless, i'd hate to die cursing a 5% battery.
    - emilio
    01-10-08 09:41 PM
    i have a charging question. may as well post it here rather than making another thread!

I have a garmin navigation unit in my car, and the power adapter has the same plug as my BB. How do i go about telling if its safe to use this adapter on my BB?
    01-11-08 10:04 AM
    i have a charging question. may as well post it here rather than making another thread!
    No, you should start a new thread with an appropriate title so people know if they can help you or not.
    01-11-08 10:53 AM

I have a garmin navigation unit in my car, and the power adapter has the same plug as my BB. How do i go about telling if its safe to use this adapter on my BB?
    I have one and use it on my BB... no problems so far.
    01-11-08 11:53 AM
    Even if you do "nuke" it, it usually lasts 11 years!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-08 06:06 PM
    I just saw a new MacGyver episode. He only used a BB and it's charger to make a bomb. All he had to do is plug it in and let it charge more then 2 hours. :lol:
    01-11-08 08:14 PM
    Well I am not sure if I am the one to answer your question, but I will tell you my experience. I have to 8310 curves and we charge them every two days overnight. We will plug them up around 8pm and unplug them around 5am, they are usually fully charged in about 2 hours or so.
    I have an 8830 and I do this same thing every couple of days.
    01-14-08 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD