Hello. I am on my 2nd BB due to the first charging port being broken. It looks like it is broken again and I need to take it in. Is this a common problem?
    04-14-08 10:33 AM
    For you it is.

I have been through 5-6 BlackBerrys and never had that issue.
    04-14-08 10:39 AM
    I just had someone brake theirs because they decide to pull the cables out to the sides, rather than straight out. This will easily loosen and brake the charging adaptor on the phone. I've had my 8830 from VZW since the day they hit the stores, and one from Sprint, also an 8830, for almost a year now and never broke either charging port. But I take the cables straight out, not to the sides or nothing.
    04-14-08 10:40 AM
    Don't gorilla the port and you won't break them. I'm willing to be that people that man-handle these ports are the number one reason why when you get a refurb the ports seem to be a little loose. Bad monkey.
    04-14-08 10:52 AM
    no I do not gorilla the port brah! I am not 2 years old. i just got a refurb which is garbage.....backlight doesn't light up as much and the charging port, once again is loose!
    04-14-08 12:57 PM
    Yeah, every single refurb I've seen has a loose USB port. Best suggestion I have for that is if you get the refurb from a store, take your USB charger or data cable with you and test it in store. If you don't like it, ask for another on the spot and let the manager know why specifically you're being so picky. I had to go through 3 onsite before I finally got them to pull a new one and compare.
    04-14-08 07:21 PM
    i broke mine. had my phone for more than a year... it just broke a month ago and i bought an external battery charger so i can charge it... i ripped off an old usb of an older blackberry and tried solder attachin it to mine but it didnt work...
    04-14-08 07:30 PM
    My charging port broke loose last night.

Dealing with AT&T now.

Are there any repair shops?
    04-16-08 02:40 PM
    For you it is.

I have been through 5-6 BlackBerrys and never had that issue.
    Wow, jsanders, can you act like more of a dochebag? How did you manage to rate so high on this forum? Anyway, as someone who supports hundreds of the latest Blackberry devices I can tell you that this issue is becoming more and more prevelant. Specifically with 8100 and 8800 devices. In fact, I am currently working with my AT&T Global Care Manager to waive the 30 day return policy because I have dealt with this issue on at least 5 relatively new devices. Getting a refurb in return is unacceptable to me and I bet you that we will soon see either a recall or free maintenance program in relation to the mini USB port issue. Call your rep and give em ****. It's the only way to force change.

Oh, and jsanders, you sir, are a giant tool. Good day.
    Last edited by eviljonny; 04-25-08 at 01:36 PM.
    04-25-08 01:33 PM
    Mine broke last week, and I only had it for 6 months. It was brand new so it is still covered under the 1 year warranty. I get my replacement phone on Monday.
    04-25-08 01:40 PM
    Mine broke last week, and I only had it for 6 months. It was brand new so it is still covered under the 1 year warranty. I get my replacement phone on Monday.
    sfoax, just make sure they are not sending you a refurb. As others have mentioned, refurbs are made mostly of crap. Good luck.
    04-25-08 01:44 PM
    sfoax, just make sure they are not sending you a refurb. As others have mentioned, refurbs are made mostly of crap. Good luck.
    Why are you so Angry? Why so abusive?
    "Oh, and jsanders, you sir, are a giant tool. Good day."
    Is it necessary to attack other members here on the Forum?
    04-26-08 05:18 AM
    I have many BB's and have even seen problems with the new one my 8820 has the same problem, maybe it is because they sent it to Mexico to be built.
    04-26-08 05:24 AM
    eviljonny is my new best friend. lol
    04-26-08 10:00 AM
    Regarding the attitude...wow we're getting grumpy in here.

Regarding the actual thread...had my pearl for year and half and have no charging port problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-08 10:25 AM
    i broke mine. had my phone for more than a year... it just broke a month ago and i bought an external battery charger so i can charge it... i ripped off an old usb of an older blackberry and tried solder attachin it to mine but it didnt work...
    Same here, had my 8800 for about a year and the charging port finally gave. Took it to the shop and the tech center exchanged it for another 8800.
    04-26-08 11:06 AM
    My charging port broke loose last night.

Dealing with AT&T now.

Are there any repair shops?
    yeah i know this cell phone repair store in new york thats where i got my blackberry charging port fixed from,these guys are really good got my blackberry fixed within 24 hours and they were pretty reasonable too
    MOBILE GALLERY ASK FOR KEVIN 1-212-799-6500
    08-02-08 02:04 PM
    Mobile Gallery 1-212-799-6500 Ask For Kevin
    08-02-08 02:10 PM
    The BlackBerry USB port was never designed for day to day use.

Charging was done via a cradle. There are two gold contacts on the back of the Curve and the Pearl. They fit a cradle like this which charges the phone without using the flimsy USB port. I got mine on ebay but you can find them here in the CrackBerry Store.

Since most BlackBerrys are corporate devices, they get all their syncing OTA so that just leaves the USB port for maintainence use.

BES users will even get OS upgrades OTA under OS 4.5.

IMO there should be one of these cradles in with every Blackberry phone.

If you need a reapir on your Blackberry then try these gys BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices I sent my phone there and they fixed it in 24 hours. There is a thread that I wrote about it in here someplace. Do a search on my name and BBRepair Shop.
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-02-08 at 02:19 PM.
    08-02-08 02:17 PM
    The way it's used could be why some are going through BBs because of the charging port... with the 8830 WE it's convenient to have the 'phone as modem' option when traveling (international data plan/Sprint). Connecting it several times a day wears it out quickly... and I agree with the ppl who said be careful they do not give you a refurb because my first 2 were loose when got them even though they were supposedly new! I got my 3rd BB just 6mo after the first, and should not have tolerated the first two for as long as I did!

As for repairing the port, Sprint said it was not repairable so I lost all my 3rd party apps... plus I had not synced in awhile ! I've learned my lesson and have been religiously syncing every day since! (helps that I changed settings to auto sync when I connect or I still wouldn't be doing it )
    08-02-08 07:11 PM
    The BlackBerry USB port was never designed for day to day use.

Charging was done via a cradle. There are two gold contacts on the back of the Curve and the Pearl. They fit a cradle like this which charges the phone without using the flimsy USB port. I got mine on ebay but you can find them here in the CrackBerry Store.

Since most BlackBerrys are corporate devices, they get all their syncing OTA so that just leaves the USB port for maintainence use.

BES users will even get OS upgrades OTA under OS 4.5.

IMO there should be one of these cradles in with every Blackberry phone.

If you need a reapir on your Blackberry then try these gys BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices I sent my phone there and they fixed it in 24 hours. There is a thread that I wrote about it in here someplace. Do a search on my name and BBRepair Shop.
    There are tons of phones that have the usb port as the charging port, which includes all the BB's and newer Motorola's. Mini usb ports aren't flumsy by design and can function long term perfectly as a charging connection, my wife's Razor is a couple years older than my 8830 and the port is fine. The 8830 failing usb port is a manufacturer's defect that is showing up. Unfortunately they seem to be failing within a few months of the warranty expiring.

With that said mine failed at about 14 months of use (no abuse of the port). I got Verizon to replace the phone free without much hassle so they must be aware of the problem.
    08-03-08 05:03 PM
    With that said mine failed at about 14 months of use (no abuse of the port). I got Verizon to replace the phone free without much hassle so they must be aware of the problem.
    Did you call customer service or go into a store. I just got back from the local store I told the girl at the tech counter the mini-usb port was lose the girl then plugged in a charger to it and goes "oh it's fixing to fall off, that is not normal for these phones so you'll have to file a claim on your insurance and pay the deductible," I told her it was obviously a defect because I don't abuse my phone and she told me that "these phones do not have a problem with the ports, maybe if we were getting alot in here with the problem, the mans. warranty would cover it but we don't, I know because we have another phone that does have the problem, were there any other questions you had?" <-(all being said in an extremely smart &*# tone) which really burned me so I said Yeah i got some questions when are yall going to unlock my freaking gps chip? and when is the "Thunder/Storm" coming out. haha she kinda looked at me and said, the chips not locked vz-navigator works and the blackberry your talking about should be out in the next month or two" I was satisfied so I said thanks, have a good evening and she replied the same..............Sooooo Sniperet should I call customer service or find another tech or just file the claim and eat the 50 bucks, I know I can send the insurance claim back for just about any reason when I get it if it's not up to my expectations.
    08-22-08 10:22 PM
    New here, but this thread caught my eye. I just finished loading my replacement 8830 from Verizon. This is the second replacement I've gotten for the same problem. I have only used my USB port for charging and as a modem, my syncing is done via BES. I would definitely call customer service before shelling out the $50 to insurance.
    08-25-08 01:54 PM
    I had my 8830WE for about three months when the charging port broke. (Interestingly, the car charger still worked.) Verizon said the port was defective, and replaced it at no charge.
    08-27-08 01:23 AM
    I'm on my 3rd BB 8830 in a year. All w/charging port problems that I never had with any other phone. Making me completely re-think my decision to wait for the new Storm. I'm now thinking of going back to Treo because I can't keep spending all my time in the Verizon shop swapping phones.

And apparently this is a recurring problem since there are so many posts on this forum regarding this.
    11-03-08 07:58 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD