I will be traveling to Antigua with my 8830 from Sprint. I need advice on the most cost effective way to use the voice and data on the phone.

Does the data portion (corporate BB server mail) of the phone work while in Antigua while using the Sprint SIM? Anyone have estimated costs per MB while in Antigua while using installed Sprint SIM?

Can I insert a local SIM card into the 8830 Sprint while in Antigua? Will it be more cost effective for calls back to the US than the Sprint SIM?

Will data services work from local prepaid SIM cards while in Antigua?

Do I need to do anything to the Sprint 8830 prior to leaving the Sprint network in the USA?
    04-06-08 11:00 AM
    Go to Sprint's site and search International calling and scroll to Antigua and all the info is there. Hope this helps.
    04-06-08 01:09 PM
    Hi there

I thought Sprint was using a CDMA network? (forgive me, I am in Canada ) If so, then you won't be able to use your Sprint phone in Antigua as all the cellular carriers are GSM (850, 900 & 1900)on the Island.
    Sprint provides a SIM card for use around the world, as does Verizon. You keep your number and it gets billed back to your sprint account.
    04-06-08 02:27 PM
    Or option number two. Ditch the phone at home, get on the plane, and have a awesome ******** time!!!!

Ok in the real world, I don't take my phone on vacation. I might buy a go phone or calling card, but when I go on vacation, i'm on vacation. Of course this might be business.....
    04-06-08 02:29 PM
    Not sure how Sprint phones roam in Antigua being that they are CDMA. But I do know that the carriers in Antigua are all GSM based (850,900 and 1900).

Sprint's site does post roaming rates for the island, but you might want to call Sprint to confirm.

Enjoy.
    04-06-08 02:31 PM
    Thanks Russ, now I know
    04-06-08 02:56 PM
    Not sure how Sprint phones roam in Antigua being that they are CDMA. But I do know that the carriers in Antigua are all GSM based (850,900 and 1900).

Sprint's site does post roaming rates for the island, but you might want to call Sprint to confirm.

Enjoy.
    The 8830WE (World Edition) uses a SIM card outside of the USA/Canada. There is someone here on the CB who is from down there in the Lesser Antilles and should be to answer some of your question in terms of the cost of a SIM card.
    04-06-08 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD