Hi,

I got a Sprint bb 8830 WE from my old company, and tried to use it in China and HK when I was oversea. However, none of the SIM cards i tried (2 of them) worked. I set the network to "GSM", and still not able to make phone call.

The tricky part is, the phone i got only has data plan, not voice plan. Whenever I press the call button and enter the number, the US number will still be displayed, and when I press "call", it will say "emergency call only" or something like that. I think the issue might has something to do with "locking" the calling feature on BB.

Can I somehow override that? I'm planning to travel to Asia in a month. BTW, i left the company, and they deactivated all data service. So i can't call the company support either.
    Last edited by imprezagtr; 01-30-09 at 09:32 PM.
    01-30-09 09:18 PM
    It might be possible that the phone is locked, which would mean you would either have to use a Sprint SIM card, or go and get the phone unlocked to use 3rd party SIM cards. There are some companies that will provide the unlock code for your BB.
    01-30-09 11:38 PM
    can the phone also be locked by the company's software? Such as limiting functions using an enterprise software? And is there a way to "erase" and reset the phone so it would be like when it's brand new from Sprint?
    02-02-09 11:03 AM
    can the phone also be locked by the company's software? Such as limiting functions using an enterprise software? And is there a way to "erase" and reset the phone so it would be like when it's brand new from Sprint?
    that is probably it, since Sprints 8830s GSM part is unlocked by default. Where in asia are you going? Im going to the Philippines this June with my 8830, and im a guru with roaming in Asia
    02-02-09 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD