I'm a little bit confused. I was looking on the Blackberry site to see how much internal memory each of the different Blackberries have. Apparently, the 8800 models, the Curves and the Pearls all have 64 MB. When I go to options, status on my 8830, it lists the File Total as 47841280. Doesn't this number represent the total amount of memory my Blackberry has and if so, why don't I have 64 MB that the Blackberry site says I should have. Any ideas?
    06-17-08 11:57 AM
    Hmm. Very good point indeed. I have the 90MB Curve from Verizon. And my file total is 83623936, with 41152744 available. Interesting... where is the rest of the memoury??
    06-17-08 12:02 PM
    Good Question!!!!!
    06-17-08 12:28 PM
    File Total appears to represent the amount of memory you have to work with, after the computer has taken what it needs of the address space. When I upgraded from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196, my File Total did not change. For 8830's, regardless of carrier or OS (so far), File Total is 47 841 280.

The number you have to be concerned with is File Free. Keep it above 10 000 000 or you will begin to lose messages and logs.
    06-17-08 01:24 PM
    File Total appears to represent the amount of memory you have to work with, after the computer has taken what it needs of the address space.
    Sorry, I'm going to be stupid for a moment here... After the computer has taken what it needs of the address space? What? What is address space??

I'm sorry.. Can you dumb this down a bit for me??
    06-17-08 01:31 PM
    Jeff, it's got nothing to do with Address Space. It would be less the that anyway, if it did. What it has to do with is Firmware. The current firmware for CDMA Blackberries is 16MB.

64-16=47ish
    96-16=80ish

I want to say that the 8330 firmware was about 14MB, but I can't remember for sure and I don't feel like reinstalling an 8330 OS on my PC to check the firmware file.

This is where the difference comes from for CDMA Blackberries.
    06-17-08 01:39 PM
    Of your 64MB (or 96MB) total memory, some is reserved for the device's use and some is taken by the operating system. You can't really do anything about that. That's what JRSCCivic98 means by "Firmware," to anticipate your next question. What's left is File Total. I stand corrected in my use of the term "address space."
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-17-08 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added 96MB
    06-17-08 01:44 PM
    Ok I think I get it now, thanks guys.

Now I understand the concept of the OS and device taking memoury... But why wouldn't it still just show 90MB of total memoury, in my case, and 64MB in the case of other users?? I mean, why just show the memoury as being essentially non-existant?

Does that make sense? I tried to word it the best way I could.
    06-17-08 01:46 PM
    But why wouldn't it still just show 90MB of total memoury, in my case, and 64MB in the case of other users?? I mean, why just show the memoury as being essentially non-existant?

Does that make sense? I tried to word it the best way I could.
    Probably because the OS cannot see memory taken by the firmware. (i.e. OS limitation in how it reads available memory) Think of the amount of memory being taken up as being the same as "shared memory" on a PC. When the BIOS on a PC takes 16MB from 512MB of RAM to give to the Video Card on systems with integrated video w/Shared Video Memory, the OS (Windows) will report max memory as 496MB.

BTW, there is no 90MB of memory on the Curve (8330). It's 96MB!! It's multiples of 2, that's how memory works. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, (96), 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc...
    06-17-08 02:01 PM
    From Verizon's website:

Features

-Dual–band 800/1900 Mhz 1x EV–DO networks
    -96 MB Flash Memory/32 MB RAM

I read the "6" as a "0" this whole time! I just gained 6MB of memoury!! My Lord!!!
    06-17-08 02:04 PM
    I read the "6" as a "0" this whole time! I just gained 6MB of memoury!! My Lord!!!
    :lol: That's funny.
    06-17-08 02:07 PM
    Thanks to all who responded. I should have realized what was going on. I guess I just wasn't thinking.

I sure wish this thing had more memory. I've got other apps I would like to install, but I'm already fighting to keep file free above 10.
    06-17-08 02:31 PM
    I sure wish this thing had more memory. I've got other apps I would like to install, but I'm already fighting to keep file free above 10.

I hear ya man.... Seriously bummed with this issue...
    06-17-08 04:28 PM
    Has no one figured out how to add memory to these devices yet?
    06-17-08 05:40 PM
    It's all part of a grooming process hahaha.... they get us hooked with a cool device that is insufficient somewhere and we'll gladly jump at the chance to spend 500 bucks to upgrade each time a lil better one comes...
    06-17-08 05:44 PM
    Has no one figured out how to add memory to these devices yet?
    Somehow I'm misunderstanding your question. Or perhaps it's because I'm thinking your question is basically the same as "Has no one figured out how to make the US government not tax us?"

The answer to both is... Sure, it can be done, but only by the people (i.e. RIM and US Gov respectively) responsible for it.

Do you honestly believe consumers, even smart ones, are going to whip out the soldering gun, slap on some larger memory chips, rewrite the OS to support it, and have a fully functional and warrantied Blackberry? And here I thought I was living in a dream world.

RIM just needs to get off their *** and make it where we can use Memory Cards to expand internal memory, just like WinMO devices can. Even the new Bold doesn't have more then 128MB of internal memory that can be used for apps. How fracking lame is that?
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-17-08 at 11:03 PM.
    06-17-08 11:01 PM
    I will say that is very fracking lame...

I'd be happy with a gig or so in my 8830 hahaha...

All my machines are filled to the rim... (pardon the pun
    06-17-08 11:18 PM
    Somehow I'm misunderstanding your question. Or perhaps it's because I'm thinking your question is basically the same as "Has no one figured out how to make the US government not tax us?"

The answer to both is... Sure, it can be done, but only by the people (i.e. RIM and US Gov respectively) responsible for it.

Do you honestly believe consumers, even smart ones, are going to whip out the soldering gun, slap on some larger memory chips, rewrite the OS to support it, and have a fully functional and warrantied Blackberry? And here I thought I was living in a dream world.

RIM just needs to get off their *** and make it where we can use Memory Cards to expand internal memory, just like WinMO devices can. Even the new Bold doesn't have more then 128MB of internal memory that can be used for apps. How fracking lame is that?
    I would think someone would have whipped out a soldering iron by now. Would the OS really need to be modified to take advantage of more memory? There is likely a ceiling to capacity, but do you think it is right at the default installation? I'd bet not.

Certainly, it would void any warranty.
    06-18-08 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD