I need to get a bluetooth earpiece and was looking for a decent one. I see they are $20-$120. Any suggestions?
    02-27-08 06:02 AM
    I have gone thru several bluetooth headsets and no matter what I've spent on them, people say I sound like I'm in a tin can. I currently am using the Jawbone ($129) and it's probably the best of the lot and the most comfortable to wear. I'd be interested in knowing if anybody has found one better. I use my phone for business so I'm on it for hours and hours everyday. I was so happy that the BB had a headset jack as I just use a $20 wired headseat, the kind that goes over my head and has a boom mic. Yes, it's old school but it's comfortable and the sound is just like being on the regular phone, actually better. My husband complains that when I'm on the BB and not using my headset that he can hear a lot of background noise so apparently the BB has a very sensative mic and picks up a lot of the noise around you.
    02-27-08 07:32 AM
    The best success I have had with the 8830 has been the Plantronics Voyager 510. It's a basic "boom mike" style earpiece. I just returned a BlueAnt X9 earpiece after the first two calls I made on it were very poor. I also found the Plantronics "Blackberry" branded HS-655 did not work well at all with my 8830. Both of these paired just fine and sounded okay on my end but my callers said they couldn't hear me or understand what I was saying. I'm currently trying the BlueAnt Supertooth Light (sunvisor mounted speaker kit) and it seems to be working okay. It may be too early to tell. I like the concept of the car kit - get that bug out of my ear...
    02-27-08 10:08 AM
    I too have the Plantronics Voyager 510. I use it both in the office and with my 8830. I have had too many complaints about the sound quality on the other end of calls. On my end it is great, but everyone I talk to using it says that either the first part of my sentence or words are cut off, or it sounds like I'm on a speakerphone. Several people have asked me not to use it when I talk to them, so I have quit using it for business and just make my family and friends suffer through it.

I have been looking for a bluetooth with a "real" boom mic - the 510 claims to be a boom, but I consider it a boom when it comes almost to the corner of my mouth, not just an inch beyond my ear. Finally I see that Plantronics has a true boom bluetooth earpiece that comes with their new Calisto system: Plantronics )) Home & Small Office )) Home Telephone & Headset Systems )) Calisto Pro Series

I don't need the whole system, but you can buy just the headset under the "Spares & Accessories " tab for about $90. I plan to get one in the next few weeks and try it out, so I can't tell you if it solves the problems mentioned above yet, but I believe it is the best option on the market right now. I don't know why there aren't more true boom earpieces on the market with Bluetooth compatibility (anyone know of any, I mean any??) - I know the long boom is not the best fashion look, but I am far more concerned with quality than how I look wearing it - I spend a lot of time on the phone with my business and holding a phone to my ear is just not the most efficient way to do it.

Hope that helps (if anyone has used this headset, please chime in and let me know).
    Last edited by Legbo; 02-27-08 at 11:40 AM.
    02-27-08 11:31 AM
    Jawbone, a little bit pricey but no complains here. It's comfortable to wear and of all those other earpiece that I've used before, never had anyone complain about not hearing me with the Jawbone. IMHO the Jawbone is worth the price.
    02-27-08 11:52 AM
    I also use the Plantronics Voyager 510 and have no connection problems with it...

In fact, yesterday in talking to a friend, they were completely surprised they had been talking to me through a BT headset! They were SURE I was on a landline!
    02-27-08 02:13 PM
    Update...I dug out my Jawbone today and paired it with my BB (only had it 5 days now). It paired up in seconds, not one single problem at all, just like it's paired with every other phone I've tried it with. My hubby called this afternoon and I talked to him for over a half hour and then asked him if he could tell I was on my Bluetooth. He was surprised to learn I was using it and said it was the best I've sounded on my BB, better than the wired headset and much better than just using the BB with no headset at all. So I guess it's a sucess, the Jawbone is worth the $129. I agree with the above poster too that says it's comfortable to wear. I comes with a few different size of the ear hanger to give you a better fit.
    02-27-08 06:05 PM
    Had a Logitech, lots of tunneling and static, tried the Plantronics Voyager 855, still not what I wanted. Kind of looks goofy listening to music w/ the mouthpiece on while in an airplane. I tried the Blueant Z9, still lots of tunneling sound. Now I am testing the Plantronics 520. So far so good.
    02-28-08 05:27 AM
    Has anyone tried the Plantronics Voyager 855?

Thanks
    02-28-08 06:32 AM
    If you're looking for music options, Motorola makes bluetooth stereo headphones that I hear a pretty good.
    02-28-08 07:10 AM
    I actually use the blueant z9 and love it...

i havent had any of the problems you guys mentioned... no tunneling no echo...everyone i ask says it sounds crisp and clear

-db
    02-28-08 07:15 AM
    I have a Jawbone as well. No complaints from myself or anyone else on the other end either.

The fit will take some trial and error with the different buds and ear loops. But once you get it right, it's just great.

BgDM
    02-28-08 07:34 AM
    I also have the Voyager 510 and for the most part, it works well. Most people can't tell I am on it, although as the battery drains, so does the mic's pickup (the lower the battery, the more muffled my voice gets).

Ivehad the voyager for quite a while now and am looking at the Jawbone as a replacement.
    02-28-08 08:55 AM
    How about the Jabra 8840 or the Motorola H12 I have heard they are decent. I use my BB for business and pleasure and need a clear sounding piece. I really don't care about price just performance.
    02-28-08 10:36 AM
    I didn't care for the Motorola ones I tried. Jabra made a pretty decent one but they hurt my ear furing long term use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-29-08 05:20 AM
    I am using the Jabra bt 500v and it works perfectly on my 8800
    I paid around 50 dollars for it
    The earpiece fits inside your ear
    That takes a little getting use to other than that it is great
    02-29-08 06:06 AM
    I ordered a Plantronics Voyager 855. I'll let you know how it works.
    03-01-08 06:22 AM
    I have the Plantronics Voyager 520. It started out working very well, then I started getting complaints that I was hard to hear or could not be heard, even though I was having no problem hearing the caller. I removed the device from my 8830 and re-paired it. Working great again. We'll see...
    03-01-08 04:18 PM
    I didn't care for the Motorola ones I tried. Jabra made a pretty decent one but they hurt my ear furing long term use.

Agree! Had Motorola 350 and 650. I'll give them both in exchange for my old Jabra.
    03-01-08 11:25 PM
    I have both a Plantronics Voyager 510 and a Jawbone. For some reason, I can't hear the Jawbone as well as the Voyager (even w/volume turned up all the way), so I keep the Voyager in the car - I have also found it more comfortable for long periods, and the Jawbone stays in my bag for when I travel (each week). The Jawbone is great for canceling out some of the ambient noise, like when I am in an airport, another reason I take that one on the road with me. The Voyager seems to last a bit longer per charge.
    03-02-08 09:32 AM
    i went with a wire earbud. so i can use it for music & ipod.
    03-02-08 09:46 AM
    I use a Motorola H700 for use when I'm in my office and it's noise cancelling feature works pretty good, but when I'm on the road (which is quite often), I use the Blue Ant Supertooth Light (clips to your visor) which works absolutely fabulously. People find it very hard to tell the whether I'm using Bluetooth or just the phone.
    03-02-08 11:50 AM
    Call me crazy, but I have purchased both a Jawbone and a BlueAnt Z9 since I bought my Blackberry and both work very well. The Jawbone is a challenge to get to fit properly, but one you work that out it is fine. The Blueant just works right out of the package.

I bought both on ebay so I was able each at a discount over retail.

As with anything, a lot of this really comes down to personal preference so give them a try!
    03-02-08 12:03 PM
    I am trying the Plantronic 655 BB edition and it is seems too work well and fit good. It can be found under $50.
    03-02-08 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD