This Blackberry is about 6 months new--Suddenly the screen winked off, has stayed black, while the keyboard remains lit and the red light is flashing. My battery was about 95% charged, and it was working perfectly. Have I inadvertantly pushed some button, and if so what? Won't turn off either.
    02-21-08 12:33 AM
    Try a battery pull. Take the battery out for a few seconds, then put it back in.
    02-21-08 12:39 AM
    I have the same issue, any developments?
    02-26-08 06:16 PM
    yeh same here my screen is just blank and the red flashing light any news on that yet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-08 06:46 PM
    Mine does that from time-to-time. Battery pull fixes her.
    03-03-08 07:58 PM
    What to do when the battery pull doesn't work. I have a co-worker that's on travel and has the same problem. Any alternatives to the battery pull?
    03-12-08 08:57 AM
    What to do when the battery pull doesn't work? I have a co-worker that's on travel and has the same problem. Any alternatives to the battery pull?
    03-12-08 09:07 AM
    Same here. 8100, blakc screen and red flashing light. Notihng I do seems to fix it. Any ideas.
    06-02-08 12:28 AM
    I have the same issue with the blank screen and red light. Be sure you leave the battery out for a minute before putting it back in.

Oddly I can duplicate this issue sometimes when I firmly tap the back of the device (not hard enough that it should damage anything). I think its a hardware issue. It also happens sometime when I lay it down on a table.

06-02-08 12:40 AM
    I have had the same issue when doing various things with the 8830. I pull battery and back in business lol
    06-02-08 03:46 PM
    I have the exact same problem...this really shouldn't be an issue...
    06-02-08 05:58 PM
    Gotta get a replacement, It took Verizon twice to get me one that didn't do the red light/reset thing.
    06-02-08 07:54 PM
    i just had this about 2 days ago, theres nothing you can do about it you must call your carrier and send a replacmetn
    06-02-08 07:56 PM
    Why is this such a common problem?
    anny2203 likes this.
    06-02-08 08:09 PM
    Mine did it from the day i first got it last August. I got a replacement from VZW in December and then another one in Febuary and havent had a problem since.
    06-03-08 12:57 PM
    Just to go into depth re my dead 8100 Pearl (because a trawl across the internet shows lots of other users have the same problem). The issues are:

Screen is black. It never shows any sign of life. No white screen, no backlight.

Red flashing light on phone.

USB connection is recognized by PC.

Battery in/out doesn’t change anything.

J_Comd cannot connect at all. Cannot read any data off the phone, and cannot wipe the phone.

Desktop Manager does not recognise the phone.

Flashing halts on second stage (multi stage load error message.

Basically the phone isolated itself and shut down. Anyone got any ideas? It looks like a lot of other people have the same problem with the Pearl. Is there a known hardware problem with this phone?
    06-05-08 11:34 PM
    My phone does the same thing. A battery pull fixes it, but it usually happens when I lay the phone down (not hard). I have had my phone for almost a year; probably can't get another now.
    06-06-08 03:50 PM
    I keep a Verizon 8830 as a backup for my 9530 (Storm) as I am on my second one due to complete failure of the unit. (another story for another time...) Anyway, I try to keep it charged and usually use it as an expensive calculator. I forgot to charge it one week (in standby it goes a looong time for a BB) and the battery died completely. After a full charge it went into the boot loop, no screen and only a solid red LED at first followed by a never ending 4 flashes red LED.
    The fix:
    I was reading the article on crackberry on how to unbrick your BlackBerry ironically enough a few days before and gave it a try... and it worked. My 8830 is now standing by as probably the best phone I've ever owned, waiting for my Storm to glitch out and be put back into service.
    I have yet to prove this, but it is my opinion that this fix will work on all recent models of RIM phones.
    I'd post the link but I'm new to the website, but you can find it simply under the "Blackberry Help", "BlackBerry 101 Lectures", lecture #12.

Hope this helps!
    05-04-09 03:00 AM
    I did the battery pull so many times, not successful. My old blackberry fell in a pool (8700r) and it worked after blow drying it for 5minutes, my javelin got wet from a rainy day and its screen is black with red flashing light, i blow dried it and everything but only the keyboard works its pissing me off.
    The only thing i can do now is send it back to my carrier for a new one. RIP Javelin #1
    05-09-09 12:09 PM
    For me, the battery pull worked every time. However, the one time it didn't work, I looked at the little white square under the battery and it turned out to be water damage. Red light and blank screen is apparently one of the major symptoms of water damage. If there is a red square under your battery, you're screwed.
    05-09-09 12:49 PM
    If you battery is plugged in, the screen is black, and you have a flashing red light. This means your phone is in a debug mode. Get the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug your blackberry phone in. NOW, here is the trick. Because it's in a debug mode, the BB software will not see it nor will your computer. YOU MUST, click on PIN on the BB Desktop Manager. This will open the Connection Options window. Where it says Connection Type <None>, YOU must change it to USB. Once you have done this, go to Application Loader and remove anything new you might have added. OR you can go to Backup and Restore to restore it back. It is best if you remove all software you have added and then run a Update. For anymore help, feel free to post!
    05-05-10 11:51 AM
    I recently change my black berry bold 9000 lcd screen after changing it, the phone comes up blank red light keep flashing. what should i do.
    07-14-10 10:02 PM
    Just to go into depth re my dead 8100 Pearl (because a trawl across the internet shows lots of other users have the same problem). The issues are:

Screen is black. It never shows any sign of life. No white screen, no backlight.

Red flashing light on phone.

Battery in/out doesn�t change anything.

J_Comd cannot connect at all. Cannot read any data off the phone, and cannot wipe the phone.

Flashing halts on second stage (multi stage load error message.

Basically the phone isolated itself and shut down. Anyone got any ideas? It looks like a lot of other people have the same problem with the Pearl. Is there a known hardware problem with this phone?
    I have exactly the same problem with my 9700.how did you solve yours??

08-01-10 06:53 AM
    Screen is black. It never shows any sign.

Red flashing light on phone.it comes on n off like its about to boot but restarts

Battery in/out doesn�t change anything.

Flashing halts on second stage (multi stage load error message).

08-01-10 07:19 AM
    I actually fixed my mother-in-law's 8310 which had the same problem.
    You need to disassemble your phone (google "how to disassemble blackberry XXXX?"), clean the board and LCD connector with Lectro Kleen and voila!
    I scored a nice dinner and a bottle of wine
    05-09-11 09:47 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD