I got a BB 8830 from Sprint for my GF and her keyboard is different than mine. Her keys are a little more seperated and they have a matte finish. Far less slippery. Also you can feel them a lot better with your fingers and since they are a bit further apart you can type a lot faster. Has anyone noticed the keyboard changes? I bought my BB about 2 months ego. Any way I could replace my keyboard? or how can I return my bb and try to get a new one? I have the protection plan...and now..she won't trade with me
    10-05-07 01:15 PM
    I don't see how the keys could be further apart, all the 8800 series phones have the same case and the keys fit between the side rails with no extra room.
    10-05-07 03:27 PM
    i have had both the VZ and Sprint models and there is a distinct difference between typing on each

the black Sprint model seemed to have a better "click" and was easier to type. why...? how...? beats me....

although within the same carrier, i didn't know they had more than one version of the 8830 floating around.
    10-05-07 03:43 PM
    yeah...I'm looking at my bb8830 from sprint and my gf 's and her keyboard is def different. Her keys seems a lot better than mine and when I pass my finger through the keyboard I can distinctly feel the keys vs. my keyboard it very much smooth. They even seem a little more raised so you can feel them better.
    10-05-07 04:16 PM
    Are you sure it's an 8830? Maybe it's a 8300...
    10-05-07 06:01 PM
    I replaced my silver Verizon 8830 keyboard with the black sprint keyboard. Several of my co-workers have also installed the black keyboard. Now I can read the keyboard in any light.

BlackBerry 8800/8830 OEM black keyboard- Tools, Panasonic, HTC, BenQ-Siemens, Nokia, Sony, BlackBerry, NEC, Dopod/O2, Son

10-06-07 06:51 PM
    I recently swapped my 8830 (bad data coverage -- device issue) for a new one, in box. The new device definitely has a different keyboard, and I agree with the OP, it is easier to type on!

As another note, where my original 8830 had the bright yellow Sprint logo screen, the new one has the black "Sprint ahead... Rated for SprintSpeed" logo instead.
    10-07-07 12:18 PM
    I replaced my silver Verizon 8830 keyboard with the black sprint keyboard. Several of my co-workers have also installed the black keyboard. Now I can read the keyboard in any light.

BlackBerry 8800/8830 OEM black keyboard- Tools, Panasonic, HTC, BenQ-Siemens, Nokia, Sony, BlackBerry, NEC, Dopod/O2, Son

Could you post a picture of your BlackBerry with that new keyboard? I would love to see what it looks like.
    10-07-07 12:26 PM
    Trevor,

Take a look here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...lack-keys.html

This is where I got the idea and jeffdanger has posted a picture.

The black keyboard in my Seidio super slim rubberized hard case and holster makes one sweet package.
    10-07-07 01:40 PM
    Hmm, I don't know if I like it or not.
    10-07-07 02:23 PM
    Not for me either...
    10-07-07 02:30 PM
    Tell me more how you swapped your phone. Did you keep loosing signal? yeah..the updated keyboard does feel a lot better. I would love to replace mine with the oem keyboard on that link but I don't know if it's the new updated keyboard or not.
    10-08-07 07:17 AM
    Tell me more how you swapped your phone. Did you keep loosing signal?
    My phone would periodically lose data service for hours at a time. After a two weeks of diagnose on the network end, it was determined that my phone was at fault...

Sprint will let you return a new phone within 30 days without questions. If there was something wrong with the phone, they will let you swap it for another new phone, in box, if during those 30 days. After 30 days, you go through warranty repair and will most likely get a refurb.
    10-08-07 09:32 AM
    I like the VZW keyboard better. They are definitely different though.
    10-08-07 10:31 AM
    For me it was a matter of being able to read the Verizon silver/blue keyboard with 44 year old eyes. Looks are secondary to function. You can also buy the full black case to match the keyboard on the same website that I posted. Blackberryforum.com has complete disassembly instructions.
    10-08-07 09:32 PM
    Myn Came Black On Black, Nd I Love It. {My First BB}
    01-02-08 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD