Okay, well I just bought an 8830 from Verizon about a week ago, and everything has been perfect except for this. I'm getting the problem where it starts deleting my call logs and text messages. Now, I don't understand, because I don't have all that much on there- just a few apps: Facebook, Google Maps, Viigo, JiveTalk, BB411, and Mobi Pocket Reader. I think I have like two pictures on there or something and nothing else, besides contacts and a few emails. Is that too many third party apps? I deleted all unused languages and the blackberry video, and all of that stuff. I was trying to send out a few text messages today- and for some reason I didn't get any back- and then I realized it deleted them before I even got to read them(its done this to me twice now). The bad part is I'll have emails in my messages folder so I won't notice there isn't any text messages- well when I finally noticed tonight- I looked up my status and the memory said 0! I shut it down and did a battery pull and it brought it up to 10 something, so i deleted a few apps I didn't need(not the ones I listed above) I think it was 2-3 and it brought it up to 12 something now. What should I do so that it doesn't delete my messages? I don't understand how I could be using up so much memory with only a few things that I've added on there. Do I need to take it back and exchange it with Verizon?

Thanks!

John
    04-24-08 08:06 PM
    walk yourself through this link, and optimize your berry for top performance!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    04-24-08 08:10 PM
    Yeah that. Works well..... I strongly suggest removing stuff you don't use.

walk yourself through this link, and optimize your berry for top performance!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    04-24-08 08:16 PM
    I still don't understand why there's still so little memory on smartphones. You'd think that after humans laughed at themselves thinking in 1985 that no one will ever need Gigabytes of memory, let alone Terabytes, they would have learned something. We're going to look back at this one day and be like. Oh Snap! Remember when we used to have Blackberries with only 64MB of memory in them? Jesus Christ RIM!... I have a 3 year old memory stick in my car and it's 128MB! WTF RIM!? I think it's safe to say that size of memory chips should not be a problem. My damn MicroSD (while slower in speed) is 2GB in memory size, but smaller then my fingernail. Someone needs to smack those wachos with a sock full of coins a la Homie the Clown.

Even Nokia has an 8GB phone out. Geebus!
    04-24-08 10:27 PM
    Yeah I agree- I don't think it would really be that much harder to give my phone enough memory so that it won't delete its own txt messages! If they would bump the memory up then nobody would have this issue!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 10:33 PM
    Agreed....why would they stiff us on system memory? Then, when we buy addit memory, we can't use it for apps....only for media. I mean can't we get a gig or something, especially when the competitors have no prob with 8 gb phones? Maybe RIM assumes that biz users would not need/require maximum memory since your avg biz user would be restricted to work-pertinent apps....BUT, BB are hot now and covering multiple genres of uses so give us our memory!!! Make our micro SD cards compatible with apps and program placement!!!

04-24-08 10:44 PM
    Yeah exactly- it wouldn't even be so bad if we could store apps on the card- but we can't do that either. Its like bein upstream without a paddle. Its like we can't use it to its full extent because of memory- which is getting so much cheaper that it really makes no sense not to bump it up a little.

04-24-08 10:48 PM
    I used it today. Now, I'm up to 26mb

04-24-08 11:13 PM
    Yeah I agree- I don't think it would really be that much harder to give my phone enough memory so that it won't delete its own txt messages! If they would bump the memory up then nobody would have this issue!

It is all about managing your memory. There are many of us here who have tons of Apps on their phone and don't have an issue with memory. Also, there are many post here on the forum about how to free up memory.
    04-25-08 04:48 AM
    Yeah I agree you should be able to manage your memory, but I don't think its good that I should have to delete things that they put on there to be able to have my phone not delete its txt messages.

04-25-08 04:57 AM
    Yeah I agree you should be able to manage your memory, but I don't think its good that I should have to delete things that they put on there to be able to have my phone not delete its txt messages.

How about Deleting txt msg and email after reading them, then the phone won't have the need to do it for you.
    04-25-08 05:04 AM
    Hutch34,

Yes you need to take the phone back to verizon and get a different one. I got a 8830 about 3 weeks ago and it did the same thing on a couple of occasions and mine wasn't a memory issue. I didn't have any extra apps installed. It would just erase the logs. The new one I have is about 1 1/2 weeks old and has been running great no problems.
    04-25-08 06:46 AM
    How about Deleting txt msg and email after reading them, then the phone won't have the need to do it for you.
    Sometimes you need to keep stuff for a while for informational purposes. There is simply no excuse for RIM to manufacture these phones with such limited memory capabilities. They should get Class Actioned for it.
    04-25-08 10:09 AM
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind deleting some text messages- but I often need recent messages. Also- when it does this- it deleted all incoming messages immediately- so I never get them! It would be ne to know whn I get messages!

04-25-08 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD