Picked up an Alltel BlackBerry 8830 in Florida this week. Bought the phone outright, so never actually activated it with Alltel on a plan.

Took it back to Canada, and put in my Rogers SIM card thinking it should work immediately (isn't that the point of the device?). I'm getting an Activation Required message. Under Options > Advanced > SIM my phone number is there, but regardless of the mode I put the phone in (GSM, Global), it doesn't seem to be picking up Rogers.

Does something have to happen on Alltel's end for the device to kick in? Or do I need to put the device pin into my Roger's BIS for it to get picked up on the network? Any advice would be great... I'm a complete 8830 newb and am doing this in an unconventional way.

Thx
    09-13-07 09:50 PM
    All 8830s are designed so they will not work on North American GSM bands, so I'm afraid you're out of luck. That includes Alltel, Verizon and Sprint. Essentially, they'll only work on European GSM bands. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-07 10:18 PM
    Your out of luck kev, 8830's not designed to work with GSM as previously stated only chance you have of that working would be to switch carriers and even then i'm not positive it would work 8830 is all about CDMA
    09-13-07 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD