Any other Army users on here? I have my 8830 set up with my Mediacom email account, sending and recieving emails just fine. However, I can't get it to work quite right with my AKO account. It will send from the Berry, but none of my AKO emails get pushed to my phone. Any solutions?
    06-05-08 01:40 AM
    Only thing I can think of us if your ako password has expired. That's the only thing that comes to mind if you can send but not recieve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 01:44 AM
    AKO? What's it stand for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 08:22 AM
    Army Knowledge Online- It's the Army's website for everything pertaining to soldiers, including their email.

My password hasn't expired, even though the Army system of extreme password requirements and frequent changes is a pain. I wouldn't be able to send from my BB either if I had the wrong password loaded. Sending works every time, but I never receive anything.
    06-05-08 09:48 AM
    yeah i got mine working. i couldnt figure out why it wasnt working for the longest time, heres why. since its hard to tell what password your typing especially w/ 2 uppercase, 2 lowercase, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters. Make sure you are pressing the cap or num keys. also make sure you know what your special characters are. i had to reference a keyboard. worse case scenario take it to S1, they should help you out.
    06-05-08 06:15 PM
    Well, I know the password is correct, as I am able to send emails. I wouldn't be able to do that either if it were wrong. I set up the account online, not on the berry, so using the tiny keyboard for all those symbols wasn't an issue.

Are you saying that you are able to receive emails on your berry?
    06-05-08 06:21 PM
    Ok, logging into my email account on my phone, the following information is displayed for my AKO account:

Email server: pop.us.army.mil
    (should be imap.us.army.mil)

Email server type: POP3
    (should be IMAP)

Port: 995
    (I don't know if they are specifying the incoming or outgoing port, but for AKO the incoming should be 993 and the outgoing 465)

Use SSL: Yes
    (is correct)

I can edit the server, but not the other settings. How can I correct the errors?

Also, I have sent the Service Books over and over again, no help. Oh, and my server edit didn't hold, even though I saved it, it went back to pop.us.army.mil.

EDIT: The online setup for email says that it is still set to imap.us.army.mil. However, even there I can't change the server type from POP3 to IMAP.
    Last edited by Sandman333; 06-05-08 at 09:47 PM.
    06-05-08 09:18 PM
    Ok, for some reason I started getting my AKO emails today. I don't know what I changed to get it working, but I'm going to leave it as is for now.
    06-07-08 03:00 PM
    Purchased the 8830 a few weeks ago. My civilian email works fine, but I can only dispatch on my 8830, not receive. When I attempt to access the AKO web site, it tells me to provide my "key store password". I don't know what that is or how to obtain one. I suspect this has something to do with the DOD certificates, but I'm stumped, and the Verizon people are well intended but I'm convinced know less than I do.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
    06-08-08 11:59 PM
    Purchased the 8830 a few weeks ago. My civilian email works fine, but I can only dispatch on my 8830, not receive. When I attempt to access the AKO web site, it tells me to provide my "key store password". I don't know what that is or how to obtain one. I suspect this has something to do with the DOD certificates, but I'm stumped, and the Verizon people are well intended but I'm convinced know less than I do.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
    I am going to try and get my AKO e-mail to work on mine today.

I just updated the OS from Verizon and installed the DoD Certificates.

I will let you know.
    06-09-08 07:55 AM
    I am going to try and get my AKO e-mail to work on mine today.

I just updated the OS from Verizon and installed the DoD Certificates.

I will let you know.
    It probably won't work. This is definitely one downside of the way BlackBerry works as opposed to the way Windows Mobile works. On the BlackBerry, your username and password gets stored on RIM's server and they go check your messages for you and send new ones to your phone. On Windows Mobile, the username/password gets stored in the config on the phone and the phone goes out and checks for new messages every now and then. There are obvious advantages to the way the BlackBerry works, but one huge downside is the fact that you must give RIM your password in order for it to work. The Government isn't very fond of that idea, so they now block all connections from RIM's server (and also Google, Yahoo, or any other "email aggregater").

I was gonna be helpful and link to the FAQ item on AKO's website, but the forum won't let me... here's a relevant quote instead:

Using an email aggregator such as the one Blackberry uses creates a security risk but also sets the conditions for a possible compromise of your AKO username and password credentials.

Army regulations (AR 25-2 para 4-5a8) prohibit auto forwarding of official mail to non official accounts and from providing your AKO credentials to unauthorized individuals.

To prevent this risk, and mitigate the potential for a possible compromise of AKO user credentials, on February 25, 2008 AKO will be blocking access to IMAP from these types of sites.
    06-09-08 01:51 PM
    Well, somehow I have mine working. Make sure you send the service books to your phone after all the other settings are done.
    06-09-08 04:24 PM
    JFN see this site: BlackBerry 101: Lecture 11: BIS Email Basics | CrackBerry.com Be sure you update your OS from Verizon and when you do, include all the DOD certificates too. I did that, and don't know if it made a difference or not, but it can't hurt.
    06-09-08 04:35 PM
    Well, somehow I have mine working. Make sure you send the service books to your phone after all the other settings are done.
    I hadn't tried to set it up. I just did, and amazingly enough, it worked. I guess it may stop working at some point in the future, but maybe AKO just doesn't have the IP addresses of the Sprint and Verizon BIS servers blocked....
    06-10-08 10:34 AM
    I've been working with JFN to get his phone to receive AKO emails, and still we have had no luck, even though mine (and now StarDestroyer's) are working fine. He doesn't seem to be able to get access to the "Synchronize Certificates" button on DM. This is how I got all the DOD Certificates loaded on my phone, so I believe that is critical to getting it to work. Anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Also, JFN, I just sent you a message about making sure your BB firewall is set to disabled. I'm not sure if that is causing the problem, but it would make sense since you can send but not receive via AKO.
    06-17-08 04:07 AM
    Any other Army users on here? I have my 8830 set up with my Mediacom email account, sending and recieving emails just fine. However, I can't get it to work quite right with my AKO account. It will send from the Berry, but none of my AKO emails get pushed to my phone. Any solutions?

Wow! Dedicated AKO user....however I do not have my email set to rcv on my BB. I have accessed several times with no issues. Hope it works out for everyone!
    06-17-08 06:32 AM
    I loaded the DOD certificates when I updated my OS... though to be honest, I'm not sure that they matter. From how I understand it, the provider's BIS server checks the email and forwards it on to the phone... so it's the provider's BIS server that needs to accept the DoD certificates.

[...]When I attempt to access the AKO web site, it tells me to provide my "key store password". I don't know what that is or how to obtain one. I suspect this has something to do with the DOD certificates, but I'm stumped, and the Verizon people are well intended but I'm convinced know less than I do.
    Rereading JFN's post, it looks like he's trying to access the AKO website, not have his AKO mail pushed to his BB through the BIS server. I just tried and I'm also unable to get to the AKO website. I get an error that says "Access Denied: Insecure SSL Request". I suspect it's related to the DoD certificates, but not that my phone doesn't trust them (which it should), but that the BES doesn't trust them.
    06-17-08 07:41 AM
    I'm on BIS, and JFN and I both have Verizon, so if it works for me, it should work for him. I wasn't able to log onto AKO through the browser either, it caused my browser to hang.
    06-17-08 10:37 AM
    I truly appreciate everyone helping me. All the information and suggestions have been cogent and understandable. I'm really at a dead end. I've loaded desk top software, 4.3. I've syned the machine. I do not receive the same prompts as Sandman however, I also work off of XP versus Vista. Ive gone into my certificate list in Options, and find there are a ton of DOD certificates there. Unlike Sandman when I go to synchronize on my software, I don't received the drop down prompt that he does pertaining to certificates.
    06-17-08 07:16 PM
    JFN-

Look at the screen shots that I sent you. The last one is of the Synchronize Certificates Options button. Make sure that Show Personal Certificates Only is not checked, and Secure Email, Client Authentication, and Other Purposes are checked.
    06-17-08 10:19 PM
    I think we got it! JFN, let us know if your phone starts getting AKO emails.
    06-18-08 12:14 AM
    Hello all. I am a user of AKO as well, and have been searching for a good (and legal) way to pull my AKO on my BB without having to log into Opera Mini every time. After much searching, I think I have found the answer, and it is free on top of that!

The app is called LogicMail for blackberry, and the website is at logicprobe.com.

I will post the link shortly as well as some more info about this app, I am not quite to the mandatory 10 posts yet
    07-22-08 01:45 PM
    Ok, so I will have to post the link after I post this message.

The basics of the app are as follows, or at least what I can decipher so far:

It stores your username and password on your device, not on an external server, so in AKO's eyes, it is legit.

It does not maintain a constant connection, it only checks AKO when you prompt it to do so. I see this as an advantage because I can choose when I want to check my work email and when I only want to get my personal email.

It offers a good deal of options, and the website provides a good deal of help as well for configuring these options. I also recommend using the AKO help FAQ #37 for AKO specific settings.

That is all I can gather so far, but I will add more info as I use this some more. I have only had this for about 2 minutes so far.
    07-22-08 01:49 PM
    And as promised, here is the link LogicMail for BlackBerry – Trac
    07-22-08 01:51 PM
    For those of you that don't know, AKO is running a "Beta" (I put it in quotes because it's been ongoing for about 3 years and they don't plan on ending it .. just migrating accepted features over to the general AKO mail).

You can set up synch using an exchange server (FINALLY!!!) and get all items (mail, contacts, calendar, etc) pushed to your device and other computers you have attached.

mail.beta.army.mil
    07-23-08 06:39 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD