Based on some of the info I've seen come to light, there's a good chance that 4.5 will not come out officially for the 8830. Don't ask me why, but I think RIM is just being stupid on this decision and backing the carriers on it. I believe the Storm is slated to replace the 8830 for all carriers who currently market an 8830 in one way shape or form.

The educated reasoning behind this is due to the fact that there are several postings of new Verizon publications showing capability matrixes and it always shows OS4.2.2 for the 8830 and no HTML email support for it. Add to that the recent RIM request to BBF/Jibi to take down the "Most recent OS4.5 releases" thread and it's no wonder that someone is trying to put a lid on this for one stupid reason or another. Someone posted in that thread about there being a blatant exclusion of the 8830 from the official party and 4 days later RIM requests the info be taken down and not reposted. They are either pissed at the version number leaks and constant redicules of the Storm's interface slowness and the crossreference to the OS releases in various reviews or they are covering this up.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but we'll see...
    11-11-08 12:13 AM
    I hope you're wrong on both counts, too. The Storm has a camera and doesn't have a keyboard. It doesn't seem like a direct replacement for the 8830.
    11-11-08 12:32 AM
    yea, but unfortunately a direct replacement isn't a direct substitute. I've been thinking this same thing for a while. I don't anticpate the update ever being officially released nor do I readily expect the 8830 to be dropped. It might be the niche phone that they just carry and don't really have to support.

this storm better be perfect (GPS and all) or I guess I'll be waiting on the 10000(?) series :sigh:
    11-11-08 02:06 PM
    Based on some of the info I've seen come to light, there's a good chance that 4.5 will not come out officially for the 8830. Don't ask me why, but I think RIM is just being stupid on this decision and backing the carriers on it. I believe the Storm is slated to replace the 8830 for all carriers who currently market an 8830 in one way shape or form.
    Make sense (kind of) for Verizon, but Sprint may not get the Storm or other World Edition BB for 3-6 months at least, leaves many folks pretty much out in the cold.

/BD
    11-11-08 05:54 PM
    I've been wondering about this too. It seems like RIM is taking a very long time to get a working upgrade out the door for the 8830. I wonder if RIM is pushing their resources to get the Storm and other new devices on the market for the holiday season rather than working out the kinks in 4.5 for the 8830? I can't imagine it is profitable for RIM to provide upgrades for the aging 8830 at this point. I also don't see the carriers pushing to certify upgrades for older devices when they are seeing delays for their new devices. Let's face it, the money is in selling new handsets, not supporting old ones.

I think that delaying 4.5 for the 8830 until January misses the window of opportunity. I'm guessing the 8830 will basically be discontinued by then, and RIM will be too busy supporting the Storm, Curve, and other newer devices. Just my .02.
    11-11-08 09:37 PM
    Make sense (kind of) for Verizon, but Sprint may not get the Storm or other World Edition BB for 3-6 months at least, leaves many folks pretty much out in the cold.

/BD
    Doesn't Sprint sell the Curve?
    11-11-08 09:40 PM
    has anyone with the 8830 running a 4.5 beta used the GSM feature while traveling? I have yet to see any first-hand testimonials that it works, and I wonder if there are bugs that are potentially holding up 4.5, since it's the only hybrid CDMA/GSM BB out there right now (until the Storm)
    11-11-08 10:49 PM
    has anyone with the 8830 running a 4.5 beta used the GSM feature while traveling? I have yet to see any first-hand testimonials that it works, and I wonder if there are bugs that are potentially holding up 4.5, since it's the only hybrid CDMA/GSM BB out there right now (until the Storm)
    And to go along with that, with the new 4.5 release from Verizon it's documented in the release PDFs that they will allows internal GPS access to Blackberry Maps. One thing to point out is that with the 8830, if the radio switches to GSM, no more GPS because of the way the GPS is controlled by the Qualcomm chipset. It's possible that they didn't want all the hubbub from that as well.

The key argument here is that the other carrier (Sprint) is left as a "what if" variable in my speculation. And yes, I did give that some thought. It wouldn't be the first time RIM gives into Big Red and lies to the "smaller" carrier (i.e. Sprint). Remember that Alltel is no longer an issue (since it was bought by Verizon) so RIM's only got to worry about Sprint now. However, it's simply just possible that Verizon will never update the 8830 (wanting to replace it with the 9530 anyway) and that RIM will only make the update available for Sprint. This will still work for us to use the OS, but......
    11-11-08 11:21 PM
    Yes Im running 4.5 traveling internationally, it works fine. Some of the early betas didnt work so well or at all, but .77 has been running good for several months now. I have used it in Germany, Sweden, France, Italy, and Austria, even switching providers/countries while driving with out any issues. My boss actually has the 8830 still running 4.2 and is having more issues than I do with lost connections to the internet.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 11-12-08 at 03:41 AM.
    11-12-08 03:39 AM
    I've been running 4.5.1.77 on my 8830 for a while. I'm not sure about gsm, I don't travel much. I'm not set for upgrade until July I'm not sure which phone Sprint plans to "bring on board" next but I have no use for on screen keyboard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 10:18 AM
    Doesn't Sprint sell the Curve?
    Yes, but it is "not" a Worldphone... i.e. it cannot work overseas as it does not have a GSM radio chip for the 900/1800 GSM bands (while the 8830 does).

/BD
    11-12-08 11:27 AM
    I hope this is wrong as my 8830 is one of my favorite phones of all time, and certain banks in my area dont want camera phones in when I am conducting business Thanks for the thread Civic!
    11-12-08 12:39 PM
    it is out there if you look (i dont have it)
    11-12-08 03:33 PM
    it is out there if you look (i dont have it)
    4.5.0.101 is the package version for OS version 4.5.0.77
    11-12-08 04:52 PM
    They can have my 8830 when they remove it from my cold dead hands......and put a Storm in it
    11-12-08 05:39 PM
    8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101
    11-12-08 07:10 PM
    ^^^ Why does that filename not look right? The platform should be 3.2 not 3.4..... hummm....
    11-12-08 11:48 PM
    Well there were rumors saying that 4.5 for 8830's will be released towards the end of November. What JRS said would make sense if they didn't release 4.5 for the 8830 but at the same time, I don't think RIM would upgrade everything BUT the 8830 and leave those users at 4.2.

(*from a site we don't like mentioning on here...*):

"Yesterday I got a tip from two different sources claiming that Bell Mobility will be releasing OS 4.5 for the 8830 by the end of November. I went to another one of my sources for independent confirmation and he said that it would fit with their plans. Not much else to go on but I thought it was worth mentioning since 8830 users have been left out in the cold on practically all of the official OS 4.5 carrier releases. Still there are always the beta versions."

It's ONLY RUMORS at this point but I guess we'll see towards the end of November if 4.5 actually gets released for the 8830. If not, I'm perfectly happy with 4.5.0.77
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 11-13-08 at 10:50 AM.
    11-13-08 10:45 AM
    :It's ONLY RUMORS at this point but I guess we'll see towards the end of November if 4.5 actually gets released for the 8830. If not, I'm perfectly happy with 4.5.0.77
    Well, 4.5.0.77 is not actually "bad"... sure it still has memory leaks and no support for the new 16GB microSDHC cards, but it should not be the end of the line. Too many newer releases on the other BB platforms.

/BD
    11-13-08 11:11 AM
    Does anyone know if 4.5 applies in Centennial Wireless in Puerto Rico? I know AT&T is purchasing Centennial here, and am not sure if I would have to change from CDMA EVDO speeds to 3g or what? Any clues:?
    11-13-08 04:08 PM
    Does anyone know if 4.5 applies in Centennial Wireless in Puerto Rico? I know AT&T is purchasing Centennial here, and am not sure if I would have to change from CDMA EVDO speeds to 3g or what? Any clues:?
    What are you talking about? You don't have a CDMA phone right now and AT&T is GSM anyway. According to your profile you're in the wrong forum my friend.
    11-13-08 04:32 PM
    FYI...I called VZW to check to see if 8830 OS 4.5 would available through their site (vzw smithmicro com/blackberry/) anytime soon and the response I got was that, version 4.5 will not be released for the 8830 WE. I asked if she meant that it won't be released for a month or two, and she clearly stated that there are no plans to release 4.5 for 8830 WE. In the end she mentioned that the new BB Storm has OS 4.5 and that maybe I should consider upgrading my phone when it's time for my new every two.....that doesn't help me!
    11-13-08 06:09 PM
    In the end she mentioned that the new BB Storm has OS 4.5 and that maybe I should consider upgrading my phone when it's time for my new every two.....that doesn't help me!
    Call her back and mention to her that she should consider rereading her trining manual because the Storm comes with OS4.7. I love calling the ******* at 611.
    11-13-08 06:24 PM
    Remember that Alltel is no longer an issue (since it was bought by Verizon) so RIM's only got to worry about Sprint now.
    I don't think I would go so far as to say that JRS. Remember there is a vast network infrustructure out there that Verizon was forced to divest it's self of in the merger. 95% of which is Alltel and will remain Alltel and Verizon can not touch or dictate how it is run. I am not saying that Alltel is in this race, however I am saying that that network that remains could toss a really big wrench into Verizon's plans really fast.
    11-13-08 06:55 PM
    Not what I understood by everything that's been released. Alltel as a brandname is going away. Similar to what happened with Suncom when it was absorbed by T-Mobile.
    11-13-08 07:08 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD