anyone install it yet?

BlackBerry® Software Updates

BlackBerry Device Software v4.2 (updated 11-19-2007)
    11-20-07 07:11 AM
    Attention: This update is for BlackBerry Internet Service (personal and small business) customers who use their BlackBerry with internet email accounts such as AOL, Yahoo! Gmail or other POP/IMAP mail accounts ONLY. Click here for details.
    11-20-07 07:14 AM
    I installed it and can't tell any difference. The WE is shown to have vznav capabilities now and is available for download. Once downloaded it still only boots up and then stops and goes back to the home screen. If anyone gets vznav to work with it please let me know anything you might have done.
    11-20-07 07:20 AM
    I installed it and can't tell any difference. The WE is shown to have vznav capabilities now and is available for download. Once downloaded it still only boots up and then stops and goes back to the home screen. If anyone gets vznav to work with it please let me know anything you might have done.

I already have it working on Telus software....
    11-20-07 07:21 AM
    i'm real annoyed. i've tried everything and can't get the thing to boot up all the way. might try deleting the vendor file on the verizon update when i get to work and see if that works.
    11-20-07 07:26 AM
    What about BES users? When do we get an update?

Forgive the newbie question. I'm new here
    11-20-07 10:52 AM
    What about BES users? When do we get an update?

Forgive the newbie question. I'm new here
    The update is there for BES users. Just click on "Corporate Email" and read the fine print.

Attention Corporate Customers:

Please contact your IT administrator before initiating this upgrade since it may adversely affect your ability to receive corporate email if your company uses Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

By clicking on Continue, you are verifying that you have contact your IT administrator before initiating this upgrade.
    11-20-07 10:55 AM
    Attention: This update is for BlackBerry Internet Service (personal and small business) customers who use their BlackBerry with internet email accounts such as AOL, Yahoo! Gmail or other POP/IMAP mail accounts ONLY. Click here for details.
    Your link doesnt work but:

Device Upgrade Feature List
    Enhancements
    Description
    LBS
    8830 Handheld MR2 release enables VZ Navigation -LBS capability and following features are added

App Based Tracking Implementation

SMS Wake-up functionality
    Audio Quality Optimization
    Previously, if you placed a call in a noisy environment and muted the device, the call recipient might have heard a loud noise. Optimization improves audio quality.
    Previously, if you placed a phone call, you might have heard some loud static noises. Improvements to minimize the static noise have been made.
    Spell checker refinements
    The following refinements have been included for the spell checker application:

If there are spelling mistakes found and the user interacts with the spell checking UI to address the mistakes, upon the addressing of the last problem, a dialog should be presented to the user allowing the user to continue with or abort the send after they 'check' the final mis-spelled word in the email. Dialog now says "Spelling check is complete. Send message?" Yes/ No.

If there is a spelling mistake found, and the user has NOT interacted with spell checking UI in any way, then the on holstering the email is sent, as is, assuming the user did not want the spell check to be done.
    Target Device
    RIM BlackBerry 8830
    Release Name
    8830 MR2 (4.2.2 Release 339)
    User Data Back-up
    Yes, if user selects option

Items Fixed?
    Memory leak issue? Nope.. slowly losing the mem
    Volume Issue? Nope
    Enables usage of vzw.. woop-dee-doo

Honestly this update seems more of an update to enable GPS for VZNav.
    11-20-07 11:03 AM
    Ya wonder if they are still working on the 4.3 ver
    11-20-07 12:11 PM
    Audio Quality Optimization
    Previously, if you placed a call in a noisy environment and muted the device, the call recipient might have heard a loud noise. Optimization improves audio quality.
    Previously, if you placed a phone call, you might have heard some loud static noises. Improvements to minimize the static noise have been made.

This better work the way is reads when they release it for Sprint.
    11-20-07 12:46 PM
    I just installed the update and downloaded the navigator program and added the $10 to my account. When I tried to boot it, it flashes for about 3 seconds and then I loose the program. I called tech support and they stated I was ahead of the curve because no one had training on this feature for the 8830. There was nothing they could do for me. So I cancelled the navigator service and told them I would try again in a couple of months. Has anyone got this to work?
    11-20-07 01:36 PM
    Previously had the Telus .176 update with no luck on VZNav. Got up this morning and here's what I did.

1. Installed the update from Verizon using the link posted above. (no need to delete vendor.xml)
    2. VZNav service has to be added to your account - called my friendly "nations most reliable network" associate and added the service.
    3. From the default browser - bookmarks - "Get VZ Navigator" solutions.vzwshop.com/vzstart/bb8830/vzw_vznav.html
    4. Simple OTA install after agreeing to the terms
    5. Voila.

Question: - when you see the VZNav splash screen on startup, does the green cover the entire screen area? I previously was able to download the app for 8130 but it would crash like yours. the green area was sized to fit the screen on the 8130 - not the wider 8830. Only when I downloaded the app specifically for the 8830 from the above link did it work. They both have the same version number, but you need the right one.

Hope this helps.
    11-20-07 01:44 PM
    I just installed the update and downloaded the navigator program and added the $10 to my account. When I tried to boot it, it flashes for about 3 seconds and then I loose the program. I called tech support and they stated I was ahead of the curve because no one had training on this feature for the 8830. There was nothing they could do for me. So I cancelled the navigator service and told them I would try again in a couple of months. Has anyone got this to work?
    I downloaded it but didn't add the service to my account and had the same thing happen. I thought it was bc I didn't have the service added but maybe it is an issue w/ the program. I remember the directions said to add the service before you download the program. Did you do it in that order?
    11-20-07 01:44 PM
    Looks like this update wiped out the ability to delete an email from both the handheld and the mailbox. All my e-mails are continuing to sit in my Yahoo! box even after I deleted the item off the BB.
    11-20-07 01:53 PM
    For what it matters, i added the service before the download...doubt it matters.
    11-20-07 01:56 PM
    Also tested other 3rd party apps for GPS and no luck
    11-20-07 02:05 PM
    mine was freezing after about 3 seconds also. i was bored and frustrated so i held down the "pearl" while it was loading and sure enough it fully loaded on my BB. it's downloading images now so we'll see (not counting my eggs just yet but it's something).
    11-20-07 02:11 PM
    Also tested other 3rd party apps for GPS and no luck
    Did you install VZN and then try it?

Also, to those who installed VZN and have it working, check your service books and see if there is anything new.
    11-20-07 02:20 PM
    It sounds like we are all going through a lot of additional aggrivation for something that was designed to be free!!! They rape us for $10/month and then do not have the forsite in planning to train support people! And Verizon is rated to be the mobile phone company with the best service, guys it is time we all go back to tin cans and string.
    11-20-07 02:27 PM
    I uninstalled VZN, added it to my account, and reinstalled VZN. Still doesn't work-splash screen then exits.
    11-20-07 02:36 PM
    I had the splash screen issue, too. I went to Options>Advanced Options>Applications, then edit permissions on the vznav one and put allow for the first two choices.

Haven't had a problem since.

-Anthony
    11-20-07 02:38 PM
    Looks like this thread (like most of the others) is taking another turn towards GPS b!tching.
    11-20-07 02:49 PM
    I had the splash screen issue, too. I went to Options>Advanced Options>Applications, then edit permissions on the vznav one and put allow for the first two choices.

Haven't had a problem since.

-Anthony
    That was the ticket.
    11-20-07 02:52 PM
    Installed the update, went fine.
    Downloaded vznav, authorized permission for it, works fine.
    Getting ripped by Verizon for 10 bucks a month to use something the phone already had......
    PRICELESS !!
    Seriously.....
    I am going to try it for month or 2, if I find it useful in my travels then I will buy a GPS puck instead of paying VZW 10 a month, that is unless someone figures out how to unlock the GPS...
    11-20-07 03:16 PM
    Did you install VZN and then try it?

Also, to those who installed VZN and have it working, check your service books and see if there is anything new.

Yeah vz nzv working but the only way to get 3rd party apps working is keeping vznav runing in background.
    11-20-07 03:40 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD