I am new to BB so if there is already a post in regards to this i do apologize. I am on my second 8830 (first one had to be returned due to the fact that it stopped charging) now. Anyways my track ball has stopped working only when i try to scroll down. I can scroll up and to both sides just not down. Called vzw tech support and was informed "that this is known issue with the BB trackball and at this time there is nothing they can do except to send me a replacement". I am okay with them sending me a replacement just was wondering if anyone else is having this issue and or knows if there is anything I can do to fix it. Due to the trackball not working properly it is currently just a phone.
    09-16-07 02:45 PM
    I had this issue on a Pearl. A battery pull (take the battery out while the device is on), should correct that issue. But, it might be a temporary fix...
    09-16-07 02:55 PM
    Thank you for your response and I should have stated in my post that I have tried a soft reset (pullling the battery out) and a hard reset and I still am having the issue.
    09-16-07 02:58 PM
    This is most likely a problem of dirt or lint inside the trackball mechanism. Try using some canned air and blow into the trackball socket while pushing down on the ball, this worked for me.
    09-17-07 01:47 PM
    I've had mine almost two weeks and this morning I had the exact problem you described - left, right and up work fine, just no down. That can really put a crimp in your day.

I guess there is another trip to vz land in my future.
    10-01-07 06:12 PM
    Mine stopped going to the right. I had a rather undelicate "fix." I mashed the living crap out of it and cursed and then I mashed it some more and then blew on the track ball as hard as I could. Works like a charm, lol.
    10-01-07 08:18 PM
    I think their was a post on rims site to firmly press down and scroll the trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-07 12:31 AM
    If you put your finger nail down along to top of the chrome ring around the ball you can pry off the chrome ring being very careful. Look carefully at how the track ball is installed. Then carefully turn the phone over and the track ball assembly will fall out. Clean it thoroughly with contact cleaner spraying on the bottom and rolling the ball. On mine a bunch of curd came out as I rolled the ball.
    Drop the track ball assembly back in with the little prongs to the left and right. Then carefully snap the ring back in. The little prongs go to the left, right, and down there are no prongs at the top.
    Good luck.
    11-25-08 03:01 PM
    This is a problem I have had many times. Sometimes it won't scroll up and then sometimes down. All i do is roll the trackball around in each direction for a while and it works itself out...but it is very annoying
    11-25-08 07:23 PM
    Check this out if your handy. There are small parts but if you pay attention its pretty simple. Not something I would do just to do. But it absolutely works.
    How to clean your trackball
    11-25-08 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD