I get some strange behaviors (8830 with latest NORMAL OS from Verizon)

I noticed there is a PLAYLIST choice on my 8830. I tried creating a few with a variety of "formats" - that is trying to figure out what kind of folder information is necessary, if any. So I used Media Monkey and another program to create m3u playlists. They do not work. When I pick playlist from the MediaManager, I see the ones I created. When I click on any of them, I see "No Songs" in the Media Player screen. I actually see these playlists no matter where they are on the SD card. I have some in root, in the Blackberry folder and in the Music folder. I pick one - No Songs.

I've also gone about trying EXPLORE it. I can, again, find Playlists. I can pick one. Nothing happens. I am in the MP3 Player but it shows no entries. But when I do EXPLORE and am in the Player module I can use the Option button and get a

SHOW Playlist

option and it shows my mp3 filenames in the playlist. If I try highlighting one and pressing the ball, the highlight merely scrolls automatically down the list of files, stops at the last one and does NOTHING.

If anyone has this working might you post the first 3 or 4 track lines from your playlist to show what the file/folder references might be in that playlist. Also what is the format - m3u? Other.

I can play albums, genre, etc. It is creating and using Playlists that escapes me.

Thanks in advance.
    04-09-08 03:15 PM
    can't you just make the playlist on your bb? I know I did with my 8130, unfortunately im on a 7250 til tomorrow when my curve comes in, get back to you then if no one else does
    04-09-08 03:32 PM
    You know posting here solves more problems than struggling for who knows how long - it is sometimes just the ACT of posting rather than the answers although THOSE ARE TERRIFIC, too.

I just played some more. Using yet another program. I think the issue was _ME_ all along. I may not have been giving the playlists time to populate (to use Windows Add Programs terminology). I created a about 5 playlists with a mix of stuff on my SD card using mp3tag. But this time again NO SONGS until the last one I created. That one showed. Hmm. I went back to the usb and looked inside the m3u files. They all seemed so similar. The biggest one (2k) worked. Why not the others?

Unhook usb. Check Media Manager again and now a second list from yesterday suddenly worked. Another did not. But a 4th did. Back and forth and suddenly they all seemed to show up. I think the BB takes its sweet time (like minutes) reading the card and filling in the necessary locational info for playlists. I can now get rid of 3rd party software and free up some memory.

More experimenting might be in order (as it always is)

But I still welcome your input.

Thanks.

(edit: I don't see any place to CREATE playlists on the 8830 but maybe I have missed that option)
    04-09-08 03:57 PM
    I also have a 8830/4.2.2.176, we will we get the option to create play list when 4.5 is released right now on the 8830 we do not.

I went threw this a few days ago. As an alternative you can try flipside or xPlayer from Shape Services.
    04-09-08 06:10 PM
    Is the only way to listen to music on the 8830 through the external speaker or a blue tooth headset?

thanks,
    Malark
    04-09-08 06:22 PM
    you can buy an adapter to put headphones into your bb
    04-09-08 06:35 PM
    The closest thing you can do to get a playlist is to organize your music into folders and play the folder by using the explorer feature. When you browse into the folder where the music is you can select via the menu button, drop down menu to play the folder. When the folder starts playing it will show the song that is currently being played. You can press the menu button again and select Show Playlist where it will then display the songs in the folder as a playlist. Least, that is how I do it. You can not create a playlist on the fly.
    04-09-08 06:35 PM
    Has anyopne else tired the xplayer? It totaly suckx. The internet radio does not work at all and the files seem to skip when I listen to the through that program, but play fine through RIM media player
    07-17-08 10:24 AM
    I am currently running the beta OS 4.5.0.51(74), and I can confirm that you can make a playlist on the go with this OS.

Your options are standard or automatic. With standard you can search for individual files and add them one at a time, and the automatic allows you to choose songs by the Artist, Album and/or Genre.

I haven't played around with this much, but it appears that your choices must correlate to each other if you choose the automatic option. For example, if you choose an Album and an Artist that is not on that Album, you will get the following error message "Your automatic playlist criteria generated no songs to play. Please modify your criteria." Otherwise it works great so far.

This won't help much until you get OS 4.5, but it is something to look forward to.
    07-17-08 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD