I've been lurking in the forum for about a year now, about as long as I've had my BB.

I'm looking to update the OS to the latest. My question is, since the is my first bb os upgrade, do you need to backup the bb with desktop manager before the upgrade? Will I lose my apps? etc... I noticed that some have lost custome ringtones, is this a resolved issue?
    12-29-08 08:20 AM
    I updated my VZW 8830 a few weeks back to 4.5.0.101 and it was relatively painless... There was a moment of anxiety when things seemed to completely stop - but, later, ended successfully without any intervention.

During the installation, everything will be backed up for you and reinstalled for you. However, that is not a recommendation not to backup your BB yourself...any good BB user would definitely perform a manual backup before jumping into something like this. Also, you may notice some ringtones and some stock pictures missing, but, these are easy to re-download if necessary.

From my experience, I have learned that you will need Desktop Manager 4.5 to upgrade your OS. I tried 4.7 but it didn't seem to want to work. DM 4.5 was all that I had available at the timed and didn't try 4.6.
    12-29-08 08:42 AM
    Well I was trying to avoid downloading DM onto my work laptop, over my work network. Soaking up bandwidth for a 300MB download might cause my phone to start ringing,

anyway, I downloaded one of the smaller DM packages @ v4.7 and backed up the device, so it's a null point now.......

next problem, when I try to upgrade the OS using the Application Loader @ bb.com it cannot connect to the service. It won't connect because I need to enter a user name and pw to get out of our intranet, where the heck do I do this in the application loader
    12-29-08 10:22 AM
    I tried a software update from DM and it says no update needed.... wtf?

v4.7

Any thoughts from the BB world of genius?
    12-29-08 10:47 AM
    It would probably be better to download the OS file to your PC and install it locally using Desktop Manager. If you succeed in doing it as you are trying, you'll still need to download and install the OS to modify it later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 10:49 AM
    where can I download the file, that's what I prefer to do as opposed to a web based program

having a hard time finding that file though
    12-29-08 10:57 AM
    That's because it hasn't been officially released. I saw your post in the other thread where you told someone to get it from the BlackBerry site. I assume that didn't work for you. I was hoping you had gotten that to work, since that would have meant it was an official release.

If you google, you can find it, but it's an unreleased beta, so you install it at your own risk.

12-29-08 11:01 AM
    I can't do it due to network security here at my office....

get the network out of the way and I may find what you are saying is true.....

This is starting to turn into a dog chasing it's tail senario....
    Last edited by ericdude; 12-29-08 at 11:09 AM.
    12-29-08 11:05 AM
    I overlooked your post from 10:47. You got the message I expected you'd get, that no upgrades are available. That's because 4.2.2.196 is the latest official release. It's misleading that the front page shows 4.5 available for the 8830. It isn't from that site. I don't run the 4.5 beta because it isn't supported by my BES. There are several versions of the beta available. Search the forum and you can find the latest version people are running, then google it. Or PM someone who's running it and ask them what version they are running, then google for that. Just be aware that you assume all the risk in running unsupported software, including the risk it will be incompatible with your work environment, assuming you are on BES. If you upgrade while off the BES, you will have to get your IT dept to reactivate your BES. If you upgrade while at work and connected to your Enterprise, you won't have to reactivate.

12-29-08 11:15 AM
    Thanks, but while I have a work BB I'm trying to do this to my personal BB using BIS. So I will start searching for the beta version. However I am going to blame my troubles getting a real 4.5 on the communist regime known as Verizon wireless, because to actually download a file to use through DM you must go to VZW.com....Nothing to be found on BB.com. If their voice coverage didn't blow everyone else away in the tennessee mountians, I'd file for divorce! Thanks for the tip on the beta though..
    12-29-08 11:27 AM
    *UPDATE*

THIS make me not want the beta, but the good features look to be very nice. I look forward to an official release.
    12-29-08 12:02 PM
    Verizon doesn't need me to defend them, but no CDMA carrier has released 4.5 for the 8830, so RIM must bear some of the responsibility.

12-29-08 12:03 PM
    Yes I'm seeing that now....I was going to try that, but also to no avail.

Actually VZW has ticked me off on a couple of probably minor issues, but they seem like unfair ones. So I'm just a bit ticked off at them right now. For the most part I'm pretty content to keep using them and living with my disgruntled feelings about them while they keep getting more wealthy
    Last edited by ericdude; 12-29-08 at 12:17 PM.
    12-29-08 12:15 PM
    *UPDATE*

THIS make me not want the beta, but the good features look to be very nice. I look forward to an official release.
    That blog entry (my post) is 6 months old, and all of the issues listed there were fixed in later betas.
    12-29-08 03:26 PM
    *UPDATE*

I have none of this guys issues with OS 4.5.0.77 or 4.5.0.101. The .101 version has a bug that wont let you do full screen but I never use the media player for that anyhow so I will continue to rock .101.
    12-29-08 07:13 PM
    I can assure you that my 8830WE running 4.5.0.101 is working just fine. Of course there will be hiccups in non-officiall releases, but, they are few and far between. If you want 4.5 on your Verizon 8830, you will have to go BETA - no way around that right now. Based on other reports, it doesn't sound like VZW has any plans to take the 8830 to OS 4.5. Hope I'm wrong!

That said, you will need to have DM 4.5 or DM 4.6 installed on your computer in order to upgrade. Like I said in my original post, 4.7 doesn't seem to work - even with the new OS files downloaded and in the right spot. DM 4.7 just doesn't recognize the missing carrier's .xml file that needs to be deleted before performing the installation. However, DM 4.5 worked like a charm!

Good luck...just be patient during your install.
    12-30-08 09:00 AM
    I can assure you that my 8830WE running 4.5.0.101 is working just fine. Of course there will be hiccups in non-officiall releases, but, they are few and far between. If you want 4.5 on your Verizon 8830, you will have to go BETA - no way around that right now. Based on other reports, it doesn't sound like VZW has any plans to take the 8830 to OS 4.5. Hope I'm wrong!

That said, you will need to have DM 4.5 or DM 4.6 installed on your computer in order to upgrade. Like I said in my original post, 4.7 doesn't seem to work - even with the new OS files downloaded and in the right spot. DM 4.7 just doesn't recognize the missing carrier's .xml file that needs to be deleted before performing the installation. However, DM 4.5 worked like a charm!

Good luck...just be patient during your install.
    4.7 works just fine for upgrading and downgrading. Just downgraded from .101 to .77 last night with no problems.
    12-31-08 10:25 PM
    I just tried upgrading my Verizon 8830 to 4.5.77 All went well I thought until a call came in and the phone didn't ring or vibrate. Checking it out, I found no ringtones listed and none of my pictures or songs were missing, so I restored 4.2.2 again.I think I remember seeing something posted about this but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me to how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    raiz
    01-01-09 12:12 PM
    I just tried upgrading my Verizon 8830 to 4.5.77 All went well I thought until a call came in and the phone didn't ring or vibrate. Checking it out, I found no ringtones listed and none of my pictures or songs were missing, so I restored 4.2.2 again.I think I remember seeing something posted about this but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me to how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    raiz
    http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...oader_8830.zip

Do a search for missing ringtones with .77 for instructions on what to do with the file.
    4.5.0.101 is not missing the ringtone files.
    01-01-09 04:03 PM
    I've been lurking in the forum for about a year now, about as long as I've had my BB.

I'm looking to update the OS to the latest. My question is, since the is my first bb os upgrade, do you need to backup the bb with desktop manager before the upgrade? Will I lose my apps? etc... I noticed that some have lost custome ringtones, is this a resolved issue?
    I would definitely do a backup so it is on file in case anything quirky happens

Also, you can run through a procedure to backup your third party apps as well. The settings for your applications will not be saved... but it will create a backup file that you can use to reinstall all of your apps in case something happens.

Check out the link in my signature for upgrade procedure
    01-01-09 04:21 PM
    4.7 works just fine for upgrading and downgrading. Just downgraded from .101 to .77 last night with no problems.
    Really? That's odd - good, for you, but still odd. I wonder why it wasn't working for me. DM 4.5 worked well enough.
    01-02-09 10:01 AM
    Really? That's odd - good, for you, but still odd. I wonder why it wasn't working for me. DM 4.5 worked well enough.
    From 4.5 to 4.7 I really haven't seen much of a difference between any of them. Other than a version number. It is probably a differance of what DM can connect to the newer phones correctly.

01-02-09 11:11 AM
    Verizon doesn't need me to defend them, but no CDMA carrier has released 4.5 for the 8830, so RIM must bear some of the responsibility.

Just how long have you all been waiting for 4.5 ?

I am totally new to BB and I am not sure I am happy with some of the features of my 8830 from Alltel and yes it is mostly email
    Also I use a MAC so this adds to my problems
    01-03-09 12:31 AM
    The first versions of OS4.5 started showing up several months ago. CDMA OS's seem to be released later that GSM OS's. I don't know if that reflects technical differences between CDMA and GSM, or market preferences, or something else. In the case of the 8830, it's near the end of its life cycle, so there's a chance that RIM won't release 4.5 for it.

What features of your 8830 are you unhappy with? Perhaps we can suggest some workarounds or alternatives.
    01-03-09 09:46 AM
    i googled 4.5.0.117 for my beloved 8830 yesterday and something popped up on a torrent site, but am not at a place where i can download. anyone else find it/try it?
    01-04-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD