where is this "sticky forum" located i do not see it, and was the prior post in regaurds to my post?
    04-03-09 08:25 AM
    where is this "sticky forum" located i do not see it, and was the prior post in regaurds to my post?
    The sticky is at the top of the 8830 forum.
    04-03-09 08:54 AM
    okay iv done(or rather attempted) the installation of this update to the T with these instruction
    1. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option
    2. Back up your 3rd party apps. Instructions here-->
    3. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
    4. Download desired OS to your PC
    5. Install/run OS to PC
    6. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    7. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    8. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.

when i go to the desktop manager and try to load it pulls up nothing... any advice????
    04-03-09 04:03 PM
    okay iv done(or rather attempted) the installation of this update to the T with these instruction
    5. Install/run OS to PC
    6. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    7. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    8. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.

when i go to the desktop manager and try to load it pulls up nothing... any advice????
    The steps you followed seem correct.

What version of Desktop Manager are you running?
    04-03-09 05:20 PM
    I am running 4.7 the newsest, do you think i should try and run 4.2 to better mach the phone? or does that not make sense?
    04-03-09 05:29 PM
    A suggestion I've seen when running 4.7 is to make sure you are NOT connected to the Internet. Either unplug your network cable, block your router/firewall so that 4.7 canNOT check versions on the web. My antivirus software has a "cut off the internet" option.

Also did you try running appload directly as found when DM did not work.
    04-03-09 05:44 PM
    I am running 4.7 the newsest, do you think i should try and run 4.2 to better mach the phone? or does that not make sense?
    The OS and Device Manager versions don't need to match.

Instead of launching the actual Device Manager, I ran Loader.exe.

\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\Loader.exe

I've read others suggesting DM 4.6 over 4.7. I'd try that next.
    04-03-09 06:29 PM
    was just able to get the thing to load, changed from desktop 4.7 to 4.5 and the process worked great, now only problem is phone runs slower than befor, very laggy(not sure if that corrrect term)
    04-03-09 11:18 PM
    Downloaded and running great. No issues and currently running with 4.6 DM.

Thanks for the link!
    04-04-09 10:45 AM
    4.5.135 is running slow for me any suggestions?
    04-04-09 10:49 AM
    4.5.135 is running slow for me any suggestions?
    No problems here. If anything, its faster than 4.2.x was.

What 3rd party apps are you running?

Do you leave a lot of apps (3rd party/native) running in the background?

How long of a retention time do you have for emails stored on your phone? (ie, if you get 50+emails a day and you have it set to purge any over 2 moths, it could consume a lot of memory).

Speaking of memory, how much do you have available?

Did you do a device wipe before the upgrade? (I recommend doing so)
    04-04-09 01:03 PM
    Got .138 running great through DM 4.5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by joeymusleh; 04-04-09 at 01:29 PM.
    04-04-09 01:24 PM
    Has anyone else had this problem with the OS 4.5.0.138 (i know this thread is for .135, sorry)? Everything seems to be slow, miss calls, the hourglass never wants to go away, and things go missing.

I upgraded about a month ago or so now, and my phone has been acting in some annoying ways.

I'll lock my keypad, and it will literally take a minute to unlock. When I try to open an email account, it will keep spinning the hourglass. Emails will come in 20 minutes after I get them on my desktop client. And all this processing is draining my battery much faster than before the upgrade.

I'll get voice messages when the phone doesn't ring, because the phone is trying to process other things. Or sometimes it might show that an "Unknown Number" has called. Sometimes.

Blackberry Messenger conversations will disappear literally a minute or two just sitting there, even if I don't navigate away from them. Facebook messages will disappear right after I read them. This is really annoying when I have to keep asking someone what they just typed.

While some of the new features are cool (true GPS is opened, streaming media, etc), it stinks when the phone is also unusable.

(And no, there's no other applications running, that I know of. This will happen when I do a battery pull (which I seem to have to do once a day, really annoying as well) and not open another app. I had Google Sync on auto, but changed it to manual, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.)
    06-12-09 09:13 PM
    Some of your symptoms are consistent with those of low file free memory. Check your Options / Status / File Free. If it is less than 12 000 000 bytes, you need to perform the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. If you've never done it, that should help.
    06-12-09 09:43 PM
    5. Install/run OS to PC
    I am doing this correctly and am getting this message "A fatal error occured while trying to update your devices software. Please try again"
    06-15-09 09:45 AM
    JeffH,
    Thank you for your response, and that seems to work well. I was somewhere around 1.7M initially. I took out some stuff/apps as well as moving the Media limit to 12M, and quickly got it up to 6.5M, and that seems to solve it. I'll keep trying to remove other things and see how many I can get to the Memory Card.
    Regards, Andy
    06-17-09 09:05 AM
    How can I update the OS on my 8830? Where can I get the free download?
    06-17-09 09:32 AM
    The latest officially released version (4.5.0.160) and instructions for installing it are given in a Stickie at the top of the 8830 forum.

06-17-09 09:49 AM
    I am new (really new) How do I download it on my blackberry? Also, when is the Verizon Tour release so I can trade up?
    Please!
    06-17-09 11:35 AM
    Also, can I download the 4.7 version?
    06-17-09 11:50 AM
    Please don't take this as a criticism, but if you can't follow the instructions in the Stickie, you really should wait until you are more familiar with your device. Upgrading your OS is not difficult, but it is not trivial either. It will be much easier to do, and you will be much more likely to be successful, if you first get some basic familiarity with your BlackBerry. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

You should not attempt to upgrade the OS in the first 30 days that you own a new phone, simply because installing an OS other than the factory-supported OS will void your warranty and you will have to restore the factory OS before you can return your phone, should you find some other defect in it in the first 30 days. As an additional benefit, after using it for 30 days, you'll be much more likely to succeed when you do attempt the upgrade.

06-17-09 12:09 PM
    Yes, I think I had better follow your lead. I am new and I would not want to mess up my phone. It is an older 8830 (couple of years old) but you're right, if I do it wrong, I am toast.
    Thank you sir!!!!
    06-18-09 11:14 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD