I use my BB to stream music from the internet to my car audio while driving, it works great except for two things.

1. When the BB receives email it interrupts the music, is there a way to temporarily turn email delivery on and off?

2. To get the music to my car system I hoped to use the bluetooth connection to my car, but I have learned car only supports phone functions so I use the headphone jack into a aux in jack on my car. When a call comes in or goes out the bluethooth connection connects the call but I have no phone audio until I unplug the headphone jack from the phone. Is there a way to use BT and headphone on the phone? I suspect there is no workaround for this but thought I would post the question anyway...thanks.
    10-10-09 09:09 AM
    I use my BB to stream music from the internet to my car audio while driving, it works great except for two things.

1. When the BB receives email it interrupts the music, is there a way to temporarily turn email delivery on and off?
    The only way I know to do this is to set the profile to silent, phone only, or vibrate. Alternatively you could also disable audible notifications for emails. AFAIK there is no way to prevent emails from coming in.

2. To get the music to my car system I hoped to use the bluetooth connection to my car, but I have learned car only supports phone functions so I use the headphone jack into a aux in jack on my car. When a call comes in or goes out the bluethooth connection connects the call but I have no phone audio until I unplug the headphone jack from the phone. Is there a way to use BT and headphone on the phone? I suspect there is no workaround for this but thought I would post the question anyway...thanks.
    There may be a setting to force the phone to use the bluetooth headset for calls, but I am not sure. You actually may be able to force the phone to stream music through the bluetooth headset too.
    10-13-09 08:29 AM
    The only way I know to do this is to set the profile to silent, phone only, or vibrate. Alternatively you could also disable audible notifications for emails. AFAIK there is no way to prevent emails from coming in.

There may be a setting to force the phone to use the bluetooth headset for calls, but I am not sure. You actually may be able to force the phone to stream music through the bluetooth headset too.
    Setting the profile to Phone Only seems to work. Surprisingly, I can still access internet radio streams and Pandora in phone only mode without email interruption. I had called Verizon and they confirmed there is no way to stop incoming email without deleting the account, they didn't tell me about switching profiles though....thanks!

Still looking for a solution to my second problem. According to the BMW forums, the car has a limitation in that it will only use BT for incoming and outgoing phone calls, it will not accept BT for streaming audio. This doesn't explain why when streaming audio the car can place and accept calls through my BB but I cannot hear the phone audio until I unplug the headset adapter. I think it's a function of the phone to override BT audio when the adapter is plugged in.

Thanks again for your help.
    10-13-09 09:11 AM
    You can also go into settings and turn Reconcile to Off. That should stop e-mail updates.

There is a bluetooth audio adaptor. RIM even offers on (available through the Crackberry Store). You could plug that into your Aux port and have streaming music to your car that way. It won't plug up the headset port on the phone, so phone calls should still be able to go through the BT system.
    10-13-09 09:27 AM
    You can also go into settings and turn Reconcile to Off. That should stop e-mail updates.

There is a bluetooth audio adaptor. RIM even offers on (available through the Crackberry Store). You could plug that into your Aux port and have streaming music to your car that way. It won't plug up the headset port on the phone, so phone calls should still be able to go through the BT system.
    I tried turning reconcile to OFF but the phone still downloads email. I called Verizon about this and was told reconcile is used to resync email settings only. Turns out setting the profile to Phone Only didn't work either. I misunderstood that to mean in Phone Only mode the phone would not download email but in reality it just doesn't notify me of incoming email. The problem I have is that the built in media player gets confused after email comes in and will not continue to play the audio stream unless I restart it. Perhaps a better media player than the built in one would handle this better.
    Does anyone recommend a good media player for streaming?

Your idea about the BT adapter into the AUX port sounds good, I'll look into that. Thanks so much.
    10-13-09 10:13 AM
    Perhaps the phone only thing only works for playing media files from the sd card and does not work for streaming. This is possible, but I find that to be unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 01:05 PM
    Well I found a solution to stop incoming emails, no thanks to useless Verizon tech support. In Options > Security Options > Firewall, enable the firewall and check Blackberry Internet Service. This will stop incoming email, unfortunately simply disabling the firewall doesn't let email come back through. To start receiving email again go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Menu and select Register Now.

It's a little cumbersome, but works. Hope others find this helpful.
    10-13-09 08:54 PM
    Ahh right. I didn't think of doing it that way. That may cause you to miss messages though. I am not sure.
    10-14-09 12:39 PM
    You are correct, messages that are blocked by the firewall cannot be retrieved on BB after you disable the firewall. I do have access to them on my Outlook which is enough for me.
    10-14-09 12:43 PM
    Hello,

I saw your item about email interrupting the playing of music in your car on your Blackberry.

I think I may be having the same problem. The odd thing is that the music playing--either streams or mp3s--is interrupted only when the BB is plugged into the car's sound system. When it's simply playing through the BB speaker, it is not interrupted.

Is this the same thing you were experiencing? I can't figure out why the music cuts out on the car speakers, plays for a second on the BB speaker, and then returns.
    10-15-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD