Can someone tell me how I can use my BB as a modem for my laptop?

Thanks.
    06-18-08 05:52 PM
    Can someone tell me how I can use my BB as a modem for my laptop?

Thanks.
    Depends what your OS is. Do you have a mac or a PC?
    06-18-08 08:40 PM
    Alltel offers a pc download on their corporate site. I sometimes use it at home if my dsl connection is weather-whacked and I find no problems with using my 8830 as a modem.
    Last edited by huskerberry; 06-18-08 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
    06-18-08 09:39 PM
    I haven't tried it, but the BB FAQ is probably a good place to start: Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ

The article appears a little dated. But it's a start. When I asked my IT people about it over a year ago, I was told there was a $20/month fee. But that may just be part of our contract. You can check that with Verizon yourself. And one more thing: if you go to Verizon's website, they have a download that may automate some of the manual settings the FAQ calls out. If there's a fee involved, running their software will likely trigger that, too. So proceed cautiously.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-18-08 at 09:52 PM. Reason: more details
    06-18-08 09:47 PM
    can you use a bb from cellular south as a modem? i have the new world edition and was curious to know if it would work as my modem? would save me some money if it would?
    06-18-08 10:25 PM
    can you use a bb from cellular south as a modem? i have the new world edition and was curious to know if it would work as my modem? would save me some money if it would?
    Looking at the Cellular South website I dont think they offer that service but its an inherant ability of the 8830 to act as a modem. I dont even see them offering EVDO (unless im missing something) which could be VERY painful when using the blackberry as a modem. Also make sure that they dont have data limits because they could slap you with data overage if they do. You can test around by manually configuring your computer to tell it to act as a modem and use #777 (or #77...I cant remember which) as the dial up number. For user name and password I would just leave those 2 blank and see what happens.

If all else fails you could just call them and ask...
    06-19-08 06:18 AM
    All of this really depends on whether or not the Tethered NAI info has been blanked or not by your carrier. I know for a fact that Verizon does in order to keep you from using the #777 dialout via a Dialup-Networking setup. With the entry blanked, they force you to use their software for modem tethering. Of course, there is a way to fix the issue if you know what you're doing.
    06-19-08 09:10 AM
    All of this really depends on whether or not the Tethered NAI info has been blanked or not by your carrier. I know for a fact that Verizon does in order to keep you from using the #777 dialout via a Dialup-Networking setup. With the entry blanked, they force you to use their software for modem tethering. Of course, there is a way to fix the issue if you know what you're doing.
    This isnt totally true with verizon. When I tether I use a DUN profile on my mac to dial out using the #777. Check my video tutorial in the mac section. I dial out and connect without using the verizon software.
    06-19-08 09:54 AM
    ^^^ Are you subscribed to tethering from Verizon? If you are then the OTA programming for the phone reset the Tethered NAI info on the Qualcomm chipset and that's why you can get it to work with DUN. There's no way DUN works with a blank Tethered NAI... that was my point.
    06-19-08 01:35 PM
    Ah ok good catch bro... I had subscribed to the tethering for 15/ month. Now what about sprint though? They use blanks for user name and pw and you can tether with them without calling them to add another service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 02:32 PM
    ^^^ Dunno, I'd be able to tell you if I could look at a Sprint phone's programming. Without that, it'd be a guess. I guess he could try it, but that's about it. I however do think that they do charge for tethering as well. That's about the only thing they charge for extra.
    06-19-08 08:33 PM
    I pay $10/month for teathering through Alltel. There was a quick download from Alltel's site. Works easily and decent speeds. This is great for use while traveling in hotels. That way you don't have to pay the $10-$15/day at the hotel for inter access.
    06-19-08 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD