It's odd... Even when my 8830 was just out of the box, w/ no apps, call logs, added themes, yada, my max free mem has hovered around 12 MB. With my added apps and themes, I have been hanging around the eight to nine meg mark. Last night, like every other night, the OCD jarhead in me checked my free mem and I had 14 MB free and this is with all my apps! I am so confused! Happy, mind you, but confused... And no, I do not smoke dope...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 10:26 PM
    Perhaps if you told us what you "think" you should have as free memory we could tell you if you're being realisting. Unload the languages that you don't use. With Verizon, you'll need to load up Desktop Manager to be able to unload the languages. That will free up some memory.
    08-08-08 11:59 PM
    Memory on these things is sporatic. With apps installed, it should be from 10 to 12 megs free.

08-09-08 02:22 AM
    It's odd... Even when my 8830 was just out of the box, w/ no apps, call logs, added themes, yada, my max free mem has hovered around 12 MB. With my added apps and themes, I have been hanging around the eight to nine meg mark. Last night, like every other night, the OCD jarhead in me checked my free mem and I had 14 MB free and this is with all my apps! I am so confused! Happy, mind you, but confused... And no, I do not smoke dope...

If you haven't done so, you need to perform the Stoner Procedure that's linked in my sig. There is a lot of stuff that comes with an out-of-the-box BlackBerry that you don't need and that's taking up valuable memory. The Stoner Procedure will help you find and remove it.
    08-09-08 07:06 AM
    Hi - I had a similar issue after two weeks. Four (!!) hours of tech support did not help. Meanwhile I had sent an email to verizon online tech support and rec'd this back:

>Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize your emails and call logs were deleted from your Blackberry 8830 device. We are eager to address this issue.

The issue is caused by the low memory manager application on your BlackBerry 8830 being activated because of an incorrect perception of low memory space by the device. According to Research In Motion (RIM), this is a known issue and is under investigation by their development team. No estimated time of repair is available for this issue. However, in order to alleviate the issue, please ensure you are saving multimedia items to the external card correctly.

Also, please visit the link below to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry Smartphone:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14 320&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=61416140&stateId=1 %200%2061414766<

I took back my phone (it was within the thirty days) and got a NEW ONE and I advise you to do the same. You have a lemon - Blackberry knows about it, and will replace your phone. Hope this helps!
    08-10-08 10:52 AM
    Your note from Verizon is the first time I've seen this behavior associated with a RIM-acknowledged software error. What OS Version is installed on your new phone? Do you recall the OS version of the phone you returned? What is your File Free memory now? If RIM has the problem under investigation with no estimated time to repair, then it seems likely the phone you got back would have the same problem.

The memory saving tips they offer are a subset of the steps detailed in the Stoner Procedure. You would still be well-advised to perform it.
    08-10-08 03:34 PM
    Hi - I had a similar issue after two weeks. Four (!!) hours of tech support did not help. Meanwhile I had sent an email to verizon online tech support and rec'd this back:

>Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize your emails and call logs were deleted from your Blackberry 8830 device. We are eager to address this issue.

The issue is caused by the low memory manager application on your BlackBerry 8830 being activated because of an incorrect perception of low memory space by the device. According to Research In Motion (RIM), this is a known issue and is under investigation by their development team. No estimated time of repair is available for this issue. However, in order to alleviate the issue, please ensure you are saving multimedia items to the external card correctly.

Also, please visit the link below to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry Smartphone:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14 320&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=61416140&stateId=1 %200%2061414766<

I took back my phone (it was within the thirty days) and got a NEW ONE and I advise you to do the same. You have a lemon - Blackberry knows about it, and will replace your phone. Hope this helps!
    Translation... Verizon knows there's memory issues with the 8830 because of the limited amount of internal memory and the higher usage of the CDMA firmware load as apposed to the GSM firmware on Blackberries. Why do you think RIM put in 96MB on the 8330? Why do you think they are starting to release new BBs with 256MB of internal memory?
    08-10-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD