Just got an email from a CrackBerry reader...

he bought the 8830, under the impression World meant World...but of course found out that the World doesn't include Japan (where he does go for business 3-4 weeks of the year).

so...what do people in this situation do??? any blackberry options?? or are ya just outta luck?

Thanks for the input!
    11-09-07 10:49 PM
    As a frequent traveller to japan i usually rent a cell phone.

All phones are a world phone EXCEPT japan. Too bad they dont advertise this. you can buy a phone within japan that works outside the US.. you'd have to buy one of their cell phones which honestly i have no idea which models do that.
    11-10-07 07:26 AM
    I have this same issue. Switch to AT&T. The 8820 works great in Japan, and the GPS works with out a 10 dollar a month fee!
    11-10-07 08:47 AM
    Vodafone UK launched the Blackberry 8707v in June 2006, it was the first Blackberry to be able to data roam in Japan.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8707v smartphone

The Blackberrys 8707v supports 3G/2100 MHz UMTS and GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz networks. This unit will data roam in both Japan and Korea. I personally know someone who was able to use the 8707v in Japan.

"FOMA" (the brand name for the 3G services in Japan being offered NTT DoCoMo) and UMTS use essentially the same air interface. That said, handsets are not 100% compatible between FOMA and UMTS, but data roaming is supported.

Japan predominately uses a cellular data and phone system that is only deployed in this country - it's called PDC, (Personal Digital Cellular)
    Mobile phones can be readily rented upon arrival in Japan, (at the airport) Though of course they will come with a Japanese tel. number.

The so called Blackberry 8830 "World" - maybe it would be called the Blackberry "Trip to the Mall" was the first to support both digital bands. The 800/1900 MHz CDMA networks, and dual-band 900/1800 MHz GSM. But no support for 2100MHz!
    Last edited by Berryman; 11-24-07 at 05:06 PM.
    11-10-07 11:07 AM
    The problem exists for business travellers to Japan and also to Korea.

For us Brits on the Vodafone UK network, they claim that our cellphones and Blackberrys should work in Japan on Vodafone Japan but I haven't been out there recently to give it a try. (contact your network provider tech support to see if the have a roaming partner out there)

Many of us thought that dual band, tri band and then quad band would give us mobile access with out home device all over the world but its not that simple as in Japan and Korea they use different systems so its not the "band" it actually the "mode" without getting too technical. There are some multi mode phones available for truely global coverage but they are less common. I have co workers who use British 3G cellphones in Korea without issues.

So the best I can suggest is to try to hook up to Vodafone Japan network when you arrive in Japan and see if your device will get the coverage you need for data and voice. If that fails rent a cellphone at the airport so that you can at least stay in touch verbally, even if it can be a little expensive and doesn't solve the e-mail part of the problem. Or buy a pay as you go model on any Tokyo street corner and drop it in the bin when you leave !

Sorry if this isn't the complete answer but hopefully it will at least save a few BB users an hour of grief trying in vain to hook up whilst on the bus from Narita airport when they arrive !
    11-10-07 04:53 PM
    The problem exists for business travellers to Japan and also to Korea.
    a little off topic here, but vzw 8830 PHONE works outstanding in the Seoul area, and i imagine most of the rest of south korea as they generally have excellent cdma coverage there. i used mine there in july. no browser/email though. sms did work.
    11-23-07 07:03 PM
    11-23-07 10:02 PM
    well i know that the Helio works in korea. becuase they are a knock of SKTelcom south korea number 1 or 2 or 3 cell phone co.
    04-03-08 01:49 AM
    Dang! Pls post entire pc today article

PCTodayis Today

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-08 03:02 AM
    It doesn't help. I can't read the article.

PCTodayis Today

04-04-08 03:03 AM
    This is a workaround to gain access to the full article without needing to be a subscriber.

Just cut and paste the first paragragh of the article, (below) into a Google search

Japan is a major hub of cell phone activity and culture. Cell phones are at least as pervasive there as the automobile is in the U.S. The Japanese use their cell phones to talk and even more so to message, but they can also use their cell phones to do other everyday things, such as interface with vending machines to make purchases.

The article will be the first return hit listed by Google - open it and read the full article Kinda weird, it has the identical URL, though you are opening via Google.
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-04-08 at 04:47 AM.
    04-04-08 04:43 AM
    In all honesty, if you want a phone guaranteed to work anywhere, go with a GSM/GPRS carrier like AT&T, t-mobile, etc. GSM phones will work virtually anywhere, as it is the most commonly used system in the world.

04-05-08 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD