I just did the 4.2.2.196 directly from verizon and the only improvement I have seen so far is it supports an 8Gb card now>
    06-03-08 02:31 PM
    Thats great that it works! The norm is you need to have a 4.3 OS or above to get a 8GB to work.
    06-03-08 03:01 PM
    I did it, ran flawlessly. I previously had done the .196 offered by another carrier and it had "errored" out.
    06-03-08 04:06 PM
    Where do you find the download? I'm with Verizon
    06-03-08 09:47 PM
    Stoner's Procedure will take you to the Verizon site:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

I updated today and reported my results in the other thread, here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/new...2-196-a-23206/
    06-03-08 10:21 PM
    Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce new software enhancements for
    your BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone. The RIM� OS v4.2.2.196
    (Platform 3.0.0.84) update includes the latest feature improvements for
    your device.
    To ensure the best possible user experience, Verizon Wireless and Research
    In Motion encourage you to download and install the free update now.
    The latest OS update:
    • Improves location-based services (LBS) and VZ NavigatorSM performance.
    • Provides support for 2 GB and 8 GB microSD cards.
    • Displays Chinese carrier names with Chinese characters when
    connected to a GSM network.
    • Makes upgrading software on the device quicker and easier.
    To download the software update, please visit vzam.net/blackberry.
    06-03-08 10:44 PM
    Not sure but I think my update is stalled on the last step - restoring my data and apps.

It appears that it is on:

Database recipient cache and about halfway through the Restore Progress. I don't see any movement of the slider/progress bar.

I have never done an OS upgrade on a BB so I don't know what to expect but it has been running for move than an hour, actually, almost 2.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: I just pressed the space bar and I see " App Error 523" Reset Button (highlighted)

HELP - maybe? I pressed the RESET button that showed on the screen .......
    06-03-08 11:43 PM
    I will create a new message.

Well, on RESET, it appears that most (all?) apps and some data was restored. My calendar appears empty but my contacts were there. I lost all of my subfolders (games, mapping, utilities) and all my stuff is just in one messy "second" screen. The Today theme appears to have been restored. So I am in the process of using the Automatic backup data to restore things again like my Calendar. We shall see....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, how do you spell R E L I E F?

Folders are back. I did have to reset Manage My Connections, I had to tell Weather eye where I live as well as Weather bug. I am sure there are a few more items that will need retweaking. But I am looking forward to getting my SD card reformatted back to its 8gig limit.

You know in some ways messing up a BB OS upgrade is only half bad because I still had the computer available for moral support whereas when computer upgrades have gone flooie, well it is harder to communicate with the outside world.
    Last edited by F2; 06-04-08 at 12:09 AM.
    06-03-08 11:54 PM
    Did you see a significant free memory increase? My File Free increased by 3MB.
    06-04-08 07:37 AM
    So if VZ is just now releasing .196 is it safe to assume that 4.5 is at least 6 months off? I would guess yes. . . . .
    06-04-08 08:30 AM
    Did you see a significant free memory increase? My File Free increased by 3MB.
    Looks as if I have an addition 2megs free but that includes the fact that I opted to NOT include the HELP module at this time. But I'll take it. I hang at around 5-6megs generally but have not seen any loss of logs/messages. So, the 8.4 that are now free is better. I don't use sms texting although get the occasional one from verizon when I inquire about something.

Edited to add: Of course, this upgrade, as most, cost me some sleep. Getting my SD card data synced from the card to my computer, formatting the card back to 8gigs and starting the process of moving data back to the card ran into overtime!!!! But this morning it appears that I do have more than 5 gigs of data and climbing.... Ironic, the last item going back to the card is "Back to the Future"
    Last edited by F2; 06-04-08 at 08:51 AM.
    06-04-08 08:46 AM
    That's really low free memory. Have you done the Stoner optimizations?

I'm not sure emails are susceptible to being deleted, so you may be ok there anyway. The complaints about lost messages normally are talking about SMS. I don't use those for anything that matters.
    06-04-08 08:50 AM
    That's really low free memory. Have you done the Stoner optimizations?

I'm not sure emails are susceptible to being deleted, so you may be ok there anyway. The complaints about lost messages normally are talking about SMS. I don't use those for anything that matters.
    Well, I followed J Clark's directions which are probably similar. I have too many UPplayed games and way too many GPS or mapping/info programs and still have to sort out which to retain and which to dump.
    06-04-08 09:30 AM
    The two are similar. Clark spends a lot more time explaining how to get themes from other carriers; Stoner just tells you how to get rid of them. Which if you haven't done, might help you. Some of those are pretty large. I'm glad you've got all those GPS programs. You're a good info source on that subject.
    06-04-08 09:49 AM
    I've always been experimental! (G) I was a beta tester extraodinaire for HP200 palmtop - it is generally fun testing new programs and seeing what they offer. Of course, one occasionally runs into glitches, like last night just upgrading the software.

The only thing this upgrade offered was the 8gig card access and I've wanted that since I purchased the 8gig card 5 months ago. Now if Rim/verizon would fix the bluetooth to work with video and verizon would unlock the gps..... well, I can dream (hmmm, maybe I need a version of the Man of La Mancha on the device! does this date me?)
    06-04-08 11:45 AM
    I just did the upgrade and my free memory jumped to 21. normally it hangs around 16 - 17. 18.5 after a battery pull.
    No issues while updating smooth.
    06-04-08 07:27 PM
    Question: I just ran Desktop Manager for another purpose but it popped open a prompt box suggesting that it has upgrades. It appeared to be the upgrades from yesterday's upgrade. Or does DM go out to the web and find that since yesterday there are newer versions?

If, as I suspect, this is just "remnants" from yesterday's new OS install, how do I avoid getting that prompt each time I run DM?

Thanks in advance.
    06-04-08 07:44 PM
    Desktop Manager itself just got updated. If you didn't update it today, that's probably what it's trying to tell you. It went from 4.3.0.15 to 4.3.0.17. I downloaded the "English-only No Media Manager version" and installed it with no problems.
    06-04-08 07:58 PM
    Actually, no, I should have copied but I think it was the BB modules again, since it also indicated (as always) that Trekbuddy has an upgrade.

Speaking of which why do I constantly get this Trekbuddy notice each time I run DM? What is DM comparing against or not to supposedly find this? When I open Application Loader, Trekbuddy always shows up in UPDATE mode. Even if I run it, the next time it is there again.
    06-04-08 08:06 PM
    I just did the upgrade and my free memory jumped to 21. normally it hangs around 16 - 17. 18.5 after a battery pull.
    No issues while updating smooth.

free memory went way up.... what is mass storage????????
    06-04-08 08:06 PM
    ...Speaking of which why do I constantly get this Trekbuddy notice each time I run DM? What is DM comparing against or not to supposedly find this? When I open Application Loader, Trekbuddy always shows up in UPDATE mode. Even if I run it, the next time it is there again.
    I don't know. I had the same problem with a Sudoku game. I finally uninstalled it. You might try uninst/reinst Trekbuddy.

A beneficial side effect of the OS upgrade was that CoPilot restarted the 180 day free trial timer when it was reinstalled.
    06-04-08 08:13 PM
    free memory went way up.... what is mass storage????????
    Mass Storage refers to the space on a Media Card. It can be used to store Music, Ringtones, Videos, and Pictures. It can also be used like a USB disk. You cannot run apps from it, or at this time edit/view docs stored on it. That's about to change with OS 4.5.
    06-04-08 08:14 PM
    Re: media card

I don't know specifically about doc files, but I was able to view a plain text file on it just today. I had copied over the US Constitution to it and I was able to not only read it but search it. I used the Media Player's EXPLORE function.
    06-04-08 11:05 PM
    Can someone please tell me if it fixes the ringer volume problem? I doubt it does but I just wanted to double check
    06-05-08 12:39 AM
    thats what i wanna know too...
    06-05-08 12:41 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD