I looked around and saw some problems that seemed similiar, but just didn't sound exactly the same. Just about everyday, sometimes a couple times a day, my browser won't work. I narrowed it down to when my status is 1Xev lowercased. I have to do a battery pull to get it back to uppercase 1XEV. Anyone else seem to have this problem or know of any fixes? I guess I am trying to see if this is a common problem with the Verizon 8830WE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-07 10:35 AM
    I have has kind of the same problem, but mine is when i go to 1x and it is only with the browser, I still get emails. If I am in the lowecase 1Xex, i am usually okay. Why is this happing.
    11-14-07 01:03 PM
    I had the exact same problem and it was VERY frustrating. The phone would go from 1XEV to 1Xev and the only way to get it back to 1XEV was a battery pull. What I was told by Verizon is 1Xev (lower case) means the phone can't detect a data signal and most likely my phone had a defective antenna. They replaced my phone and I have had no problems since.
    11-15-07 12:16 PM
    I have the same problem...but it only happens when I go into an area with very low signal reception usually. It has happened a few times elsewhere, but it isnt that bad. I don't really think Verizon has a clue, because if it were an antenna problem, it should affect the phone portion as well I would think.
    11-15-07 12:34 PM
    The reason that happens from what I have been able to tell is that the bb is not completly connecting to the data network when it says 1x versus 1X and with 1Xev and 1XEV. The quickest solution is to just pop the battery out and put it back in and generally thatll allow the phone to connect back with the data network 100%.
    11-15-07 11:09 PM
    is the only solution to this to either pop the battery or replace the phone? if so
    11-27-07 12:11 PM
    The solutions to this are to make sure you're on the latest OS update for your phone, but most importantly that you're on the latest PRL for the network you're on. For Verizon, dial *22899 and wait for the provision update to complete. If you dial #HELP* Send before and after and look at the PRL version you'll be able to see if the version number changed. The PRL is what drives the phone radio's ability to connect to the cell towers for service and it's something that changes almost on a monthly basis. Keep it up to date.
    11-27-07 01:46 PM
    The solutions to this are to make sure you're on the latest OS update for your phone, but most importantly that you're on the latest PRL for the network you're on. For Verizon, dial *22899 and wait for the provision update to complete. If you dial #HELP* Send before and after and look at the PRL version you'll be able to see if the version number changed. The PRL is what drives the phone radio's ability to connect to the cell towers for service and it's something that changes almost on a monthly basis. Keep it up to date.
    Thanks for the advice. I've updated both the OS and the PRL. I guess in the next few days we'll see if everything is ok. Thanks again!
    11-27-07 02:05 PM
    For Alltel just dial *228 and then option 2 will update your prl
    02-21-08 12:24 AM
    So my question is: Is that maybe specific to roam vs not roaming. And, why do some show just an x and others show Xev? Is there a setting that changes how it shows?

-Just currious.
    Last edited by Legbo; 02-21-08 at 11:24 AM.
    02-21-08 09:50 AM
    So my question is: Is that maybe specific to roam vs not roaming. And, why do some show just an x and others show Xev? Is there a setting that changes how it shows?

-Just currious.
    I think you need to reread my post. It has nothing to do with roaming or not. It has to do with whether you're connected at EVDO speeds or not (x vs xev) and whether or not you're connected to the Blackberry data network (X vs XEV). The caps indicates if you're on the Blackberry data network... the lettering indicates network connection on the Verizon network. To make is simpler, if you have CAPS anything you're on Blackberry data as well, if it's lower case you're just on the regular voice network connection with Verizon. If it's lower case email and other Blackberry/RIM network dependant BB features are NOT available to you at that time. Hope that makes better sense.
    02-21-08 12:03 PM
    Im having the same issues. I am with Sprint. I hate having to pull the damn battery, so often!
    02-21-08 12:21 PM
    For Alltel just dial *228 and then option 2 will update your prl
    Which would be a good thing to do as a new PRL was released by Alltel this week. When you dial #HELP* and hit send, and scroll down, you should see version 40036.
    Last edited by kch50428; 02-21-08 at 06:17 PM.
    02-21-08 06:14 PM
    I had that problem today I didnt have to pull battery out I just shut it off and turn it back on it works fine...
    02-21-08 07:41 PM
    I had that problem today I didnt have to pull battery out I just shut it off and turn it back on it works fine...
    Or just "Turn Off All Connections" then turn them back on and, poof, all is fine...(battery pulls aren't always needed )
    02-21-08 10:02 PM
    ==========================
    I DID THE PRL UPDATE - thanks for the suggestion! That said...

I'm amazed how often the air interface changes from 1EXV (caps) to 1exv or 1x...IMO way too much given my previous phone (Moto Q, non html based browser) really never had too many connect problems. Is there a way to move to 2.5 g connects to make the data connect more reiliabe? IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE BATTERY EACH TIME THAT IS A VERY WEAK DESIGN & would make me consider returning the Storm/Verizon until they get it right...
    01-01-09 11:13 AM

I'm amazed how often the air interface changes from 1EXV (caps) to 1exv or 1x...IMO way too much given my previous phone (Moto Q, non html based browser) really never had too many connect problems. Is there a way to move to 2.5 g connects to make the data connect more reiliabe? IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE BATTERY EACH TIME THAT IS A VERY WEAK DESIGN & would make me consider returning the Storm/Verizon until they get it right...
    The PRL update and refreshing your service books should take care of any random connection issues.
    01-02-09 11:40 AM
    If you have to reset your phone often, you should download BB SoftRest, which eliminates the need to pull the battery. I often get the 1x issue when I return from an area which has marginal reception. I will get a 1x reading and no email. I reset the phone with SoftReset and the problem goes away until I travel in this area again and return. SoftReset is free.
    01-03-09 09:03 AM
    Alt+right shift+del=restart and I save my precious memory for something else.

Last edited by gtstang462002; 02-24-09 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    01-03-09 10:43 AM
    help,,,my PRL will NOT update no matter what i do....i have tried everything,,
    i think...
    01-06-09 12:38 PM
    help,,,my PRL will NOT update no matter what i do....i have tried everything,,
    i think...
    If you do the *228 option 2 and it ends with activation OK then you have the latest PRL file from your provider.
    01-06-09 09:28 PM
    I had the exact same problem and it was VERY frustrating. The phone would go from 1XEV to 1Xev and the only way to get it back to 1XEV was a battery pull. What I was told by Verizon is 1Xev (lower case) means the phone can't detect a data signal and most likely my phone had a defective antenna. They replaced my phone and I have had no problems since.
    same thing is happening to me

I think you need to reread my post. It has nothing to do with roaming or not. It has to do with whether you're connected at EVDO speeds or not (x vs xev) and whether or not you're connected to the Blackberry data network (X vs XEV). The caps indicates if you're on the Blackberry data network... the lettering indicates network connection on the Verizon network. To make is simpler, if you have CAPS anything you're on Blackberry data as well, if it's lower case you're just on the regular voice network connection with Verizon. If it's lower case email and other Blackberry/RIM network dependant BB features are NOT available to you at that time. Hope that makes better sense.
    thanks...so just to clarify
    1xev--yes to EVDO Data
    1x--yes to regular data
    1XEV--yes to EVDO Data+BB Data
    1X--yes to regular data+BB Data

?

I am having to do to the same thing as well

If you have to reset your phone often, you should download BB SoftRest, which eliminates the need to pull the battery. I often get the 1x issue when I return from an area which has marginal reception. I will get a 1x reading and no email. I reset the phone with SoftReset and the problem goes away until I travel in this area again and return. SoftReset is free.
    I prefer QuickPull, because there is a schedule on there

Alt+right shift+del=restart and I save my percious memory for something else.

cool..thanks! even faster than using QuickPull

Does anyone know how to do the PRL update for sprint?
    02-20-09 12:30 AM
    For Verizon, dial *22899 and wait for the provision update to complete.

How often should you do this?
    02-20-09 12:42 AM
    With Sprint, to get a PRL update, call CS and tell any CS rep that you want a PRL update sent to your phone. Then hang up and dial *228

It's a good idea to do this every 6 months or so, regardless of your carrier.

02-20-09 03:27 AM
    My phones doing this now too just installed .76 not sure. If anyone needs this for future reference, with Telus it's *22803
    02-20-09 11:52 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD