Hi all,

I'm a new user finding this site very useful. I followed steps for update of my Desktop manager software so that I could perform the update of my BB OS to the current 4.2.x version.

Everything seemed to go smoothly with the DM update, the backup of device SW and data, the device wiping, and the OS udpate and restore. However, I noted a few curious things and need some input.

While DM was listing the changes to be made with the OS update, it noted that certain modules/api's would be removed from the device, and this concerned me since some of the names seemed like they would be needed; it was confusing to see they would be removed.

When the update process was completed, I noted two main issues:
    1) Several ringtones on the original OS were no longer available. The default one that I used for phone notification was gone. I don't recall what it was called and basically can't find it anywhere. Why would they remove these? Where can I find the originals so that I can search for that one I used and load it to my BB?

2) I use Blackberry maps with the 8703e GPS features. Now, when I enable the location services in "Options|Advanced Options|GPS", then open BB Maps, and choose "start GPS", it reports an error:
    "Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.il8n.MissingResourceException"

Has anyone noted these problems and can anyone help me to resolve them?

Thanks,
    Choots
    11-06-08 10:14 AM
    Can anyone post some suggestions or information on where to go for help? Any thoughts or ideas on a solution to this problem?

Thanks
    11-11-08 10:25 AM
    Not sure if this will help you out but have you tried the 4.5 0.xx update on it? I didnt know that 4.2 did gps.....then again I never really used it either.
    11-11-08 11:56 AM
    I noticed the same problems, plus 4.2 moved ridiculously slowly on my BB. I downgraded back to 4.1 and left it at that - faster, gps working again. I may try 4.5, not sure if I can be bothered.
    11-16-08 10:01 AM
    My GPS works fine on 4.2. I just updated my girlfriends the other day, hers was still on 4.1 which just seems much more difficult. Haven't seen any problems, but I will try her GPS when I get the chance. 4.2 comes with the great dimension zen theme, the main reason I like the update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD