One of my friends at work wants me to update the OS on his 8700. If I do this, will it affect the IT policy that our company uses? I have upgraded my Curve three times and feel comfortable with that process, but I still have a lot to learn about these devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 02:50 PM
    You should talk to your IT person/group before doing this. If you are on BES you will need to have the device reactivated after you upgrade... and the IT people will need to do that!
    08-19-08 02:52 PM
    He will need a new activation on his device if it is upgraded. The 8700 process is the same as the 83xx, it's just a different device on the other end of the USB, and an OS for the 8700.
    08-19-08 02:52 PM
    I will not affect the IT policy that his blackberry currently has but after you upgrade the OS he will have to have his IT guys reactivate it to the BES server. Have him check with his IT guys first. If it's a company issued blackberry they may not want you to do that.

At the company I'm at everyone own's their own device so we don't really care what they do to their device. I've got a couple of guys at the office that always want the latest blackberry so I'm always activating new devices for them.
    08-20-08 01:51 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I talked with one of our IT guys and he agreed to reactivate after the upgrade.
    08-21-08 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD