Just out of curiosity, (for North Americans and the rest of the world)

who out there are still using the 8700 or 8707 Blackberrys?

Who out there have just bought/received one?

if your answer is "yes" which one did you get and why?
    08-07-11 08:50 AM
    I'm still using my original 8700 as my only phone. had to recently replace the battery it came with, but otherwise, with a couple of OS updates and some tips and tricks from the good people here, I'm still up and running solidly with a phone I've never had an issue with and a mobile device that sends and receives emails from 3 different accounts reliably, and bbm is just marvellous. I havent worn the numbers/letters off the keys, the thumbwheel can be a bit funky sometimes, the screen is scratched and it's thick and heavy, but it reminds me of the old black bakelite rotary phone my great grandmother had: it just works.
    08-07-11 12:30 PM
    I bought one six months ago and gave up my Torch because it was one of my favourite BlackBerries! The quality is there; despite the huge plastic exterior, the phone is a workhorse. It was a revolutionary phone when it came out, and to me, the screen resolution is still quality, though the plastic screen vs. today's glass kinda sucks, as it gets scratched so easily.

I like the simplicity of it. I don't have much memory, so I can't jam my phone full of useless apps that only distract me and make me waste time.

The battery lasts a week if you're a light user; 3-4 days for me, and I'm a heavy user.

I like the scrollwheel, the keyboard is easy and spacious.

Mostly nostalgia. I think the Bold 9000 was the best phone, as it had a great keyboard, huge, crisp screen, and all the bells and whistles the 8700 doesn't (ie: wifi, memory card slot) but all three of my 9000's had the same speaker issues, so I went with my second favourite :-)
    grover5 and bobo_200_5 like this.
    08-25-11 11:23 AM
    i'm using 8700v QWERTZ
    i like trackwheel and i dont have much money
    i bought my 8700 with 20$
    09-12-11 09:02 AM
    Im using my old 8700 until my Torch is back from warranty work. Its currently running OS 4.1.0.284 Is there a better version than this in Canada to use? Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting OS6
    09-14-11 03:27 PM
    yes im still using it ..
    have 2 8700v but only one active and one 9000

Its currently running OS 4.1.0.284 Is there a better version than this in Canada to use? Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting OS6
    there is OS 4.5 for 8700
    and there's no OS6 for 8700v
    09-14-11 09:32 PM
    I just bought one today. It should be here next week. It's to be used for texting only to and from the Philippines.
    Hope I made the right choice.
    09-22-11 02:40 PM
    I just got one of these (8700g) just to mess with & think it's pretty nifty. I started out on the 8100 so I didn't experience the old pre-multimedia, pre-trackball/pad BBs first-hand. Out of the retro units, I'm not sure if the 8700 or 7290 is my fav, considering the 7290 does have the better keyboard. 8700 has better screen though. :-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    grover5 likes this.
    09-22-11 07:55 PM
    After owning my 8700C for a week now, I like it. The keypad works great. It's also easy to see in the dark. The scroll wheel might not be as fast as a trackball but it's sure to hold up better. I only use it for texting and so far it seems like this will work out as intended.
    I'm also sure that the battery should last what will seem like forever compared to my other everyday smart phone I have.
    grover5 likes this.
    10-02-11 11:40 AM
    I throw it at my dog and he brings it back? Does that count

10-02-11 07:18 PM
    In this day and age of specs are everything regardless of actual need for them and anything short of the latest being bad...I love this thread. It is refreshing to see individuals choosing what works best for them with no consideration of outside perception. Y'all are awesome.
    10-02-11 07:49 PM
    Just goes to show you, things still will work, regardless of OS, BIS. RIM does not turn them off.

For mainly messaging, which was BIG back in the day and new. It's a win win for something as a back up.
    10-02-11 09:06 PM
    update : will no longer be able to use my 8700.

I went back to my Torch for it's navagation apps (primarily BlackBerry traffic, as I was doing a lot of driving for work) The Torch freaked out after being passed through some x-ray scans at the airport (which I have NEVER heard of before, and am assuming it was coincidental timing ) so it's in repairs now, and I've been on my 8700 for over a week now. Fun as always, a great phone, but for the first time, I think I have to say it's "too old" Surprised the **** out of me! I've had issues all week- e-mail problems, attachment problems ("cannot find service books", despite sending them, re-registering e-mails, even deleting and re-adding e-mail addresses), calls are dropped after 5 minutes, web pages are rendered in plain text only... I cannot access my voicemail, and callers tell me there is no voicemail, it simply drops the call. I couldn't even access my blackberry.net e-mail for the first half of the week; only my g-mail would come through Plus...no fancy GPS apps like BlackBerry Traffic, or Poynt...so I will be hanging mine up when the 9800 gets back from the hospital. (more so because of the phone/email handicap...if these worked, I would have had no problem continuing to use this phone! I totally prefer the UI of the native calendar to OS6's calendar)

That being said, my boss (a surgeon and VP of the hospital) still loves his, and refuses to give it up until it breaks!
    Last edited by bbstoof; 10-03-11 at 07:56 PM.
    bobo_200_5 likes this.
    10-03-11 07:53 PM
    still loves his, and refuses to give it up until it breaks!
    I think that says it all.

Too bad about yours.
    10-04-11 12:20 PM
    i just bought a secondary berry 8700g brand new yesterday. i love it and like using the jog dial on the side. it somehow has a great feel and look. Though i am constantly using the berry 9800 slider I like using them both.
    10-05-11 11:02 PM
    it's good for me
    10-07-11 11:44 PM
    I just picked up a belt case for mine.
    Now, I need some advice.
    How the heck do you shut off the keyboard so that the screen won't become activated while in the tight case? (thus, wasting the battery)
    10-23-11 08:47 AM
    I found my answer on how to lock the keyboard but is there a way to make it so when you push any keyboard button, the screen won't light up?
    10-24-11 02:52 PM
    Me!!!bb8700 is also popular in china.
    11-07-11 09:43 AM
    About 3 days ago I found one at a gargae sale for $2 that looked brand new. Not so much as a scratch on it. It charged up and turned on no problem. Just waiting on a sim from T-Mobile so I can play around with it. I dont care what anybody says these are still better than alot of phones out there.
    LAinfamy likes this.
    11-16-11 11:03 PM
    I am using 8707v, os 4.2, and it is quite slow vs 4.1. I hope it could faster more as same as 4.5 in 8700

11-24-11 08:03 AM
    Yea man, I keep going back to the 8700g. Since '06, I've always been in love with the look and feel of the device. I've used the newer models, but this retro look is kind of pimp. Much respect to the Electron!
    12-11-11 04:16 PM
    i just ordered one for 20 bucks and I can't wait to get it. it was my first "smartphone" and i fell in love! the only downside was it didn't have a camera but now most mp3 players have cameras on them so i'm good on that one.

i'm getting the phone to humble myself. i'm goin crazy trying to keep up with all these new phones. i'll just run with the 8700g for some time(might be a lonnnnnnnnng time) + plus my iPod touch and call it a wrap! =)
    12-14-11 03:47 AM
    i just ordered one for 20 bucks and I can't wait to get it. it was my first "smartphone" and i fell in love! the only downside was it didn't have a camera but now most mp3 players have cameras on them so i'm good on that one.

i'm getting the phone to humble myself. i'm goin crazy trying to keep up with all these new phones. i'll just run with the 8700g for some time(might be a lonnnnnnnnng time) + plus my iPod touch and call it a wrap! =)
    Can the iPod Touch be tethered to the 8700? If so, maybe there's a winning combo there.
    12-17-11 10:21 PM
    They still sell on ebay for about 30 a pop
    12-20-11 09:34 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD