Hello, I have an unusual question and need help. please. My father needs to use his old blackberry 8703e (on Verizon) for his emails. He is not physically able to use touchscreens and the trackwheel on the 8703e has worked well for him for many years. However since about Feb 10, 2021 he cannot properly boot up the 8703e and when it does boot up he cannot get his emails. Instead, he sees an error message that says "'THE CERTIFICATE HAS EXPIRED OR IS NOT YER VALID. WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTINUE THE CONNECTION, CLOSE THE CONNECTION, OR VIEW THE CERTIFICATE FOR MORE INFORMATION?" When I try to view the "CERTIFICATE" it says "*BIS6.US.BLACKBERRY. EXPIRED CERT CHAIN. STALE CERT CHAIN". The 8703e can still make phone calls, do text messages and access the internet. But no emails. I contacted both Verizon tech support and Blackberry tech support and neither of them had any idea how to fix this problem. I suspect the the 8703e itself works fine, the problem seems to be between Verizon and Blackberry network. So. does anyone here have a possible solution? My father is unable to use any touchscreen devices, so the 8703e trackwheel is the only option for him. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, many thanks!
    02-27-21 11:46 AM
    Hello, I have an unusual question and need help. please. My father needs to use his old blackberry 8703e (on Verizon) for his emails. He is not physically able to use touchscreens and the trackwheel on the 8703e has worked well for him for many years. However since about Feb 10, 2021 he cannot properly boot up the 8703e and when it does boot up he cannot get his emails. Instead, he sees an error message that says "'THE CERTIFICATE HAS EXPIRED OR IS NOT YER VALID. WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTINUE THE CONNECTION, CLOSE THE CONNECTION, OR VIEW THE CERTIFICATE FOR MORE INFORMATION?" When I try to view the "CERTIFICATE" it says "*BIS6.US.BLACKBERRY. EXPIRED CERT CHAIN. STALE CERT CHAIN". The 8703e can still make phone calls, do text messages and access the internet. But no emails. I contacted both Verizon tech support and Blackberry tech support and neither of them had any idea how to fix this problem. I suspect the the 8703e itself works fine, the problem seems to be between Verizon and Blackberry network. So. does anyone here have a possible solution? My father is unable to use any touchscreen devices, so the 8703e trackwheel is the only option for him. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, many thanks!
    Sorry, BBOS phones no longer function on American carriers (unless they are already active on AT&T).
    02-27-21 12:33 PM
    Since VZW is his carrier, you might still be able to purchase the VZW Key2 LE carrier version that was available until recently. My late mother couldn't really use touch screen either so I seriously understand the situation for your father.

Good Luck!!!!
    02-27-21 12:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;13573844]Since VZW is his carrier, you might still be able to purchase the VZW Key2 LE carrier version that was available until recently. My late mother couldn't really use touch screen either so I seriously understand the situation for your father.

Good Luck!!!![/QU

Thanks for the info Chuck. Does the Key2LE have the trackwheel? Or does it have a touchscreen?
    02-27-21 01:27 PM

Thanks for the info Chuck. Does the Key2LE have the trackwheel? Or does it have a touchscreen?
    Touchscreen.
    02-27-21 02:18 PM
    [QUOTE=rkjohnsjr;13573846]
    Since VZW is his carrier, you might still be able to purchase the VZW Key2 LE carrier version that was available until recently. My late mother couldn't really use touch screen either so I seriously understand the situation for your father.

Good Luck!!!![/QU

As conite says, touchscreen, but it does have a Physical KeyBoard, instead of just a Virtual KeyBoard only touchscreen.
    02-27-21 02:32 PM
    This will be a big loss for my dad. Is there any way possible for him to use a blackberry trackwheel device to get his email? It doesnt have to be verizon and it doesnt have to be an 8703e. Just has to have a trackwheel, due to his physical limitations . Can anyone think of any possible solutions or ideas? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Its for my dad. Thank you.
    02-28-21 01:46 PM
    This will be a big loss for my dad. Is there any way possible for him to use a blackberry trackwheel device to get his email? It doesnt have to be verizon and it doesnt have to be an 8703e. Just has to have a trackwheel, due to his physical limitations . Can anyone think of any possible solutions or ideas? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Its for my dad. Thank you.
    There were some more complicated solutions to get around BIS on regular carrier data or WiFi but I'm not sure if still functional alternatives.

The other solution would be if any other device manufacturer from back then used trackwheel and still usable.

Keep in mind, BIS is getting shutoff and 3G is getting shutoff. Both technologies are related for BlackBerry and yet unrelated from a carrier shutdown. The solution won't be another mobile device except for a laptop and mouse wheel perhaps.
    02-28-21 02:49 PM
    There were some more complicated solutions to get around BIS on regular carrier data or WiFi but I'm not sure if still functional alternatives.

The other solution would be if any other device manufacturer from back then used trackwheel and still usable.

Keep in mind, BIS is getting shutoff and 3G is getting shutoff. Both technologies are related for BlackBerry and yet unrelated from a carrier shutdown. The solution won't be another mobile device except for a laptop and mouse wheel perhaps.
    thanks Chuck. If you think of another trackwheel device please let me know.
    02-28-21 05:01 PM
    Nothing I can think of.
    02-28-21 05:09 PM
    thanks Chuck. If you think of another trackwheel device please let me know.
    I can't think of any trackwheel devices. My late mother suffered two massive strokes in 2004 at 67 and two more in 2009 at 72 and led a pretty normal life because of her dedicated hard core physical therapy both times. The only lasting effect was the fine motor skills required for good handwriting. That also caused a problem using touch screens of any kind. Anything smaller than a cordless phone was impossible to use. Forgive me if my comments are not in line, but she passed away last year and I don't have Mom to help anymore. The laptop/mouse/phone (sort of) mobile devices were the closest we ever got to success as hard as we tried. She joked it was better than desktop/mouse/phone (all wired) that my brother and I attempted for 10 years.
    02-28-21 05:56 PM
    would a option be a Bluetooth trackball mouse to go with a smartphone? There are even keyboard/mouse combos.
    mh1983 likes this.
    02-28-21 08:16 PM