I would really like to have os 4.2 for some of the new features. Does anyone know if sprint is going to release an update for the 8703e?

Starting to feel like maybe I should have waited for the curve, or picked up the 8xxx they offer.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-07 09:50 AM
    dwhite, you can use another carrier's OS for the 8703
    http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.1.106.exe

Remember, locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Good luck.
    11-05-07 10:00 AM
    I was under the impression that vzw update was for gsm phones?
    11-05-07 05:40 PM
    Anyone happen to know? I'd love to update to 4.2

11-07-07 08:09 AM
    Do you delete the vendor.xml before or after installation?
    11-09-07 10:29 PM
    The VZW update can't be for GSM phones since Verizon doesn't have a GSM system.

You can load that vzw OS update on any 8703e and it'll work just fine. Yes, delete the vendor.xml after you install the Desktop Manager AND the OS package.
    11-09-07 10:56 PM
    I have a Sprint 8703e and used the Verizon update. It works fine, easy install.
    11-13-07 09:51 PM
    I updated my Sprint 8703e using the Verizon update, but the new os makes the device much slower. Is there anyway to go back to the old os?
    12-26-07 10:08 AM
    I'm with Bell and I used Telus, delete the vendor file and then install< It works like a charm, no probs what so ever and it was installed in 20 mins

PS No speed loss at all
    12-26-07 11:02 AM
    I updated my Sprint 8703e using the Verizon update, but the new os makes the device much slower. Is there anyway to go back to the old os?
    Yes - you basically "reverse" the process.
    In Control Panel - Add/Remove - remove the Handheld OS v4.2 (you can remove any and all version)
    Reinstall the version you WANT on the BlackBerry
    Delete VENDOR.XML from your PC C: drive
    Restart Desktop Manager - it should ask if you want to downgrade your BlackBerry.

Before doing this I *always* make an extra backup. Just in case.
    12-26-07 11:14 AM
    I upgraded my 8703e's OS from 4.1 to 4.2 through my carrier (Telus Mobility) here in Canada.

Seems every thread I have read relating to upgrading the OS, one of the steps to be taken is to delete the VENDOR.XML from your computer hard drive. Why is deletion of the vendor file necessary? If you do delete it, what effect will it have on your bb?? And finally, what is the purpose of this file??

Your excellent advice is always greatly appreciated.

Pierre
    12-28-07 08:27 PM
    Deleting the vendor.xml file ONLY allows another carrier's OS to be loaded to a device. The vendor.xml tells Desktop Manager to only load a Telus released OS onto a Telus BB. Removing the vendor.xml removes that check, thus allowing a Sprint OS to be loaded to a Telus BB. All the OS's are built by RIM for the devices so it doesn't matter if you load another carrier's OS to your device, it will work the same.

Deleting vendor.xml has no other effect.
    12-29-07 12:41 AM
    Yes - you basically "reverse" the process.
    In Control Panel - Add/Remove - remove the Handheld OS v4.2 (you can remove any and all version)
    Reinstall the version you WANT on the BlackBerry
    Delete VENDOR.XML from your PC C: drive
    Restart Desktop Manager - it should ask if you want to downgrade your BlackBerry.

Before doing this I *always* make an extra backup. Just in case.
    Thanks for the tip, njblackberry. I'll give it a shot. Can you tell me where I can get the OS v4.1 that I need?
    12-29-07 10:49 PM
    Will I have to reconfigure all my e-mail accounts and re-register the phone after I upgrade?
    01-03-08 02:44 PM
    I completed the upgrade with no real problems. The only issue is that there are no themes loaded. What can I do?
    02-06-08 02:08 PM
    I believe that once you install a new OS you have to reinsatll all of your themes. The new OS will only have the standard themes that come with the OS.

02-09-08 02:27 PM
    I've updated my Sprint 8703e successfully to os 4.2 with no major issues. However it doesn't seem to recognize any new themes. I have tried to add several. I have checked and double checked to make sure they are compatible with my phone\ os and supposedly they are. But nothing that have done has been able to get my device recognize them in Options\Themes. Its as if they were never downloaded to the device. Am I missing something? Has anyone else experienced this?
    02-14-08 01:26 AM
    Have you taken out the battery and put it back in since you installed the new themes? You will have to do this in order reset your BB and then your themes should show up.
    02-15-08 02:44 PM
    Sprint 8703e 4.2.1.110 is available for all the 4.2 hungry Sprint fiends...

http://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/...BB765225CE8C0E

Go Get it... Just came out yesterday...
    02-15-08 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the response. But initially that didn't work either. I had a long arduous ordeal over the course of 2 days last week with my BB. Basically it seems to be working fine now with the themes. I basically had to wipe it, downgrade, restore my data (without any extra programs), then upgrade again. Now themes work normally. And removing the battery causes them to appear as you would expect. Before I did all that, I probably took out the battery 4 or 5 times and tried about 4 different themes with no success. Though I found out after the fact one of the themes was not for 4.2.1 but the others I tried should have been fine. So now that everything is fine I am going back out on the edge and try to get the actual Sprint update to 4.2.1, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    02-16-08 04:13 PM
    Updated back on the 16th and everything has been working smoothly with no problems.
    02-23-08 12:03 AM
    Sprint 8703e 4.2.1.110 is available for all the 4.2 hungry Sprint fiends...

http://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/...BB765225CE8C0E

Go Get it... Just came out yesterday...
    Sweet!!! Just upgraded to actual Sprint OS. Now just need to update my profile. Thanks for the post!!!!
    02-24-08 10:49 AM
    Has anyone else installed this on their sprint BB? I have the 8703e and i tried using a verizon version of 4.2 and my pager slowed down quite a bit. Is it safe to assume that i'd experience the same thing if i went with the sprint version of 4.2 handheld os?

Thanks,
    B
    02-27-08 01:45 PM
    There is a noticeable slow down in performance, but I think that the additional features are worth it. I think it's just OS 4.2 on the 8703 hardware.
    02-28-08 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD