I'm using the 8707v without a BlackBerry data plan.

It was running OS4.1 when I installed Opera 4.2 and this was OK. I then upgraded to OS4.2

With the updated OS, nothing installs. When I browse to the files, I get error message "no new applications were found for your device".

I am dependent on TCP/APN and cannot install anything over BES/BIS wireless, and consequently I'm stuck.

My hope was to install some TCP using software such as an SSH client and a third party Bluetooth utility for file transfers (because RIM disabled the built in file transfer service). I was also hoping Google Mobile uses TCP but I cannot install it to find out.

Please could you tell me how to get unstuck?
    01-03-09 02:49 PM
    Sounds like it is time to get a data plan..........
    01-03-09 02:56 PM
    That does not seem to be an answer for three reasons.

1.(afaik) data plans are only available with a long term contract (that includes free handset) and this equates to saying its time to chuck the 8xxx series.

2.I prefer TCP to RIM data plans because TCP is an open standard rather than proprietary. Furthermore, RIM are clearly preventing things from working so that customers remain tied to their service.

3.I do not want a long term contract, I just want to get the apps installed.
    Last edited by flop; 01-03-09 at 03:26 PM.
    01-03-09 03:21 PM
    I understand all of your points, and I acknowledge the fact that you do not want a contract. However, in order to download and install many apps, data is required. It's just an unfortunate fact.
    01-03-09 03:37 PM
    Is there no TCP downloader that I can install from the desktop manager?
    01-03-09 03:44 PM
    Let me ask you this, what exactly is it you are trying to install?
    01-03-09 03:54 PM
    Is there no TCP downloader that I can install from the desktop manager?
    There is no TCP downloader for the BlackBerry. All BlackBerry data goes via blackberry.net and is highly secure. Opera-Mini is outside this because BlackBerry refuse to allow OM inside their network.
    01-03-09 03:58 PM
    I would like BlueFTP if it works, and Googlemail Mobile because they said it would work.

Unfortunately, they do not disclose the link to install via a PC. I cannot think of any good reason for that.
    01-03-09 04:02 PM
    That does not seem to be an answer for three reasons.

1.(afaik) data plans are only available with a long term contract (that includes free handset) and this equates to saying its time to chuck the 8xxx series. Some carriers are curently considering Pay As You Go data plans for pre-paid SIM cards.

2.I prefer TCP to RIM data plans because TCP is an open standard rather than proprietary. Furthermore, RIM are clearly preventing things from working so that customers remain tied to their service. RIM are doing an exccellent job of providing a very secure and functional data service. When you buy a BlackBerry you make a number of choices. One of these is to subscribe to RIM's view of how internet and email should be handled over the Internet either as a corporate user which is where RIM's main buisiness lies or as a personal user.

3.I do not want a long term contract, I just want to get the apps installed. I understand that but this is not how it works unfortunately. I pay for a data plan monthly but do not always use it. I keep the data plan in the same way I keep my car filled with gas. Just in case I need it. One way might be to borrow a friends SIM card who also has a BlackBerry, register your PIN number on their BIS account. Download your apps and then swap SIM cards again. A second way would be to download the apps to your PC and then install these via Desktop Manager to your BlackBerry.
    I hope that my two posts resolve some of your questions.
    01-03-09 04:09 PM
    There is no TCP downloader for the BlackBerry. All BlackBerry data goes via blackberry.net and is highly secure. Opera-Mini is outside this because BlackBerry refuse to allow OM inside their network.
    I tentatively suggest you are mistaken because a google search discloses that BlackBerry users have been using third party TCP apps since at least 2005.

Furthermore, the BlackBerry service takes longer to establish a connection and is consequently slower than TCP for certain tasks.
    01-03-09 04:11 PM
    I pay for a data plan monthly but do not always use it. I keep the data plan in the same way I keep my car filled with gas. Just in case I need it.
    If you keep filling up your car with gas each month when your not using it, where did the gas go?

One way might be to borrow a friends SIM card who also has a BlackBerry, register your PIN number on their BIS account. Download your apps and then swap SIM cards again.
    Thank you, that's a very good tip

A second way would be to download the apps to your PC and then install these via Desktop Manager to your BlackBerry.
    As pointed out, this is the problem and it used to work. However, since upgrading to OS4.2 the desktop manager has become my enemy and refuses to accept any files as being compatible with my device.
    Last edited by flop; 01-03-09 at 04:19 PM.
    01-03-09 04:16 PM
    First of all, your comment about the desktop manager becoming your enemy made me laugh.

Second, if this feature worked previous to upgrading, have you thought about downgrading?
    01-03-09 04:33 PM
    Yes. I have thought about it, but I don't know how to because Desktop Manager says nothing is compatible. This is when I got kinda of stuck because there's no wireless install and no desktop install.

Also, RIM did not allow Bluetooth file transfers on the 8707. That's why I wanted to try BlueFTP and see what it can do.

Edit: I made some progress. Don't know how, but I installed the Sun Microsystems and BlackBerry Java JDKs and I reset the devices many times and the Desktop Manager worked again. I don't understand and I'm sure the Desktop Manager is a woman. Also, my BlackBerry's calculator now fits on the screen - it didn't before!!

And... I now have Gmail working on the BlackBerry which I downloaded from a link on this site. Obviously a data plan is not necessary. Happier now!!
    Last edited by flop; 01-04-09 at 04:56 AM.
    01-03-09 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD