This has been out for a while. THIS OS IS ONLY FOR THE 8703e, DO NOT INSTALL IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN 8703e!

Download the OS here.

Grab the latest version of Desktop Manager if you don't have it even though you won't really need it for the loading procedure.

1. Install the OS file that you have downloaded.
    2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file. This allows you to install the OS for any 8703e.
    3. Connect your device. Now in the same folder that the vendor.xml file was located, run Loader.exe. This will load the OS onto your device. The procedure will take approximately 45 minutes to complete on a 4.5 or lower device.
    08-11-09 01:43 PM
    Before anyone asks YES you can load this up on a Verizon 8703e, just make sure to delete the vendor file as the OP suggests. Sprint users can leave, OR delete the vendor file. I have this software on my Verizon 8703 and it works fine (well a little slow) BUT verizon has not yet (and probably never will) released 4.5 for the 8703e.

I have sticked this at the OPs request and in an effort to make it easier to find. I had a dickens of a time finding 4.5 when I got my 8703 a few months ago.
    08-11-09 02:20 PM
    I installed this on my verizon 8703 as well. It works great. I haven't really noticed a speed difference but I have noticed my battery meter isn't very accurate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 06:54 PM
    Ok, I just got a 8700c from ebay. I downloaded the user manual from Blackberry, and was just starting to figure out how to use this phone. I downloaded the new software version 4.5 and the Desktop Manager version 4.7 for AT&T. I tried to install the update, and said there was a fatal error.
    09-15-09 03:42 AM
    Before anyone asks YES you can load this up on a Verizon 8703e, just make sure to delete the vendor file as the OP suggests. Sprint users can leave, OR delete the vendor file. I have this software on my Verizon 8703 and it works fine (well a little slow) BUT verizon has not yet (and probably never will) released 4.5 for the 8703e.

I have sticked this at the OPs request and in an effort to make it easier to find. I had a dickens of a time finding 4.5 when I got my 8703 a few months ago.
    I installed OS 4.5 on my 8703e with Verizon and everything seems to work except I have no browser. The icon is missing and 3 different support reps later still no browser. I really like the html email and would hate to go back to 4.2. Any solution?
    09-15-09 07:22 AM
    Is the battery meter problem fixed in this or is this the same?
    09-15-09 07:26 PM
    How would you go about restoring the original OS if this doesn't work?
    Last edited by sir.cartman; 09-29-09 at 04:04 AM.
    09-29-09 03:59 AM
    i have the battery problem i take it out and it fixes it self till the next recharge
    10-01-09 07:03 PM
    Has anyone figured out the Missing Browser Problem?
    10-27-09 12:48 AM
    I've upgraded to the latest software for the 8703e, And I have lost my browser. Now my BB won't even get past the Verizon Wireless Start Screen..
    Anyone know what I should do from here?? Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
    10-27-09 11:13 AM
    I upgraded to this OS a few weeks ago, and now I wish I hadn't. My main problem is with links on web pages. If I scroll too fast, the web browser seems to lose track of what is a link, and what isn't, so it quits highlighting the links. To recover from this I usually need to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page and start over while scrolling s-l-o-w-l-y, and by slowly I mean no more than a click of the wheel per second. Any one else notice this?
    George
    11-17-09 12:57 PM
    I upgraded to this OS a few weeks ago, and now I wish I hadn't. My main problem is with links on web pages. If I scroll too fast, the web browser seems to lose track of what is a link, and what isn't, so it quits highlighting the links. To recover from this I usually need to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page and start over while scrolling s-l-o-w-l-y, and by slowly I mean no more than a click of the wheel per second. Any one else notice this?
    George
    Yes, I'm having the same problem. I hate having to scroll all the way back up, especially on Long web pages. And another problem IS the battery meter. Other than that, I'm loving it. Has anyone posted a list of Applications that work on the Blackberry 8703e running 4.5? It would be very useful. I've installed numerous Applications and for some reason on some, my BB won't turn back on. I get stuck at the Verizon Wireless logo. Someone please reply. I can't get Slacker Radio to run niether. Thanks, B.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 11:21 AM
    I had one problem with the battery meter shortly after I did the "upgrade". I forgot to charge it up one night and the next morning it shut off the radio even though the meter said it was fully charged. also checked options/status which showed the battery at 100%. By the time I got back to the home screen, the meter was finally showing that the battery was almost drained. Haven't seen anything like that since. about the only extra app that I have is Google Mobile and so far no start up issues, though when I did the upgrade I lost all of my Google Maps favorites.
    11-19-09 02:19 PM
    i used 8703e for a few days (still own it as a back up) ... at first i thought it was a nightmare compared to my 8830 and tour. but after i upgraded to 4.5, i was a little less pissed about that infernal wheel! it's a solid unit and built ford tough. 4.5 is not so bad.
    11-20-09 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD