Twig Error: Failed to write cache file "sites/crackberry.com/files/twig_cache/9b/9b093e6c755381eaf5b3a2a9d53a115325b340cb51b7a9ad830fdea13f06c9e8.php". (Line 80 in /web/drupal7-20211006151652/vendor/twig/twig/src/Cache/FilesystemCache.php)
08-29-08 01:12 AM
28 12
tools
    I got a used 8700g yesterday through a trade with someone on Craigslist. I'm still getting used to the phone, but so far I love it. Much better than my last phone. I have a few questions though.

1. It doesn't seem that my phone has a browser. There's a few games and a maps program on here so I would assume that there was a browser on it at some point to download these things, but if the browser is on here, I can't find it.

2. I can't figure out where the IM section is. I've looked through the phone, but I can't seem to find anything about instant messaging on it.

The phone can be a bit confusing with everything that I've read. It seems that there are many things you can do and add to the phone, and it's a bit overwhelming.

I also want to add my own ringtones to the phone, but I'm not exactly sure how. On my old phone I'd just download them to my phone, but I'm not sure what to do with this one since I can't seem to find a browser.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
    08-02-08 12:14 PM
    Hi & welcome to CB.

Do you have a data plan with T Mobile? You wont get the browser or be able to use BB mssenger with out this.
    08-02-08 12:26 PM
    I'm pretty sure I have the basic plan with T Mobile. I was able to browse the web on my previous phone.
    08-02-08 12:37 PM
    You actually need to have a Blackberry specific data plan.

I do beleive that T Mobile US actually has a 'features enabler' which can turn certain things on.

Other T Mobile US users will be able to help you out here.

Have you checked to see that the browser is not hidden, hit menu key from the desktop and select 'show all', if it is greyed out highlight it and then hit menu key again, select hide which will uncheck it and put it on the desktop. Like I said though, you will ether need the blackberry plan or features enabler.
    08-02-08 12:43 PM
    Yeah I checked and it's not hidden. There's only two hidden thing and neither are the browser.

Would I have to go to a T Mobile store to get a Blackberry specific plan or can you do it through the internet, or something like that?

When it comes to cell phones in general, I'm pretty much in the dark about everything.
    08-02-08 12:51 PM
    You should be able to do it over the telephone. The best one is I beleive a 20 dollar unlimited plan but check out all options.
    08-02-08 01:21 PM
    I looked and yes the 20 dollar plan is the best. On the TMobile site it says "Real-time Web browsing."

Would the browser come with the plan because I'm still not quite sure where to get the browser from.
    08-02-08 01:29 PM
    When you get the Blackberry plan (make sure its for Blackberry) you will receive upon activation a browser icon and and email settings icon
    08-02-08 01:32 PM
    Awesome, thanks for all the help.

Do you know if the phone has an IM feature?

Also, is there a way to take ringtones from my computer and add them to my phone?
    08-02-08 01:39 PM
    No problem.

You should have Blackberry mesenger and if there is if there is no yahoo messenger or other one on the device you can download one from mobile.blackberry.com.

Yes, you could use desktop manager to move ringtones or just use your device as a removable drive if you have an sd card.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-02-08 at 01:45 PM.
    08-02-08 01:43 PM
    As far as I know, I don't have any type of messenger on here other than sending text messages.

Where would I get the desktop manager? Is it something for free or do you pay for it?

Unfortunately, this phone doesn't have an sd card slot.
    08-02-08 01:54 PM
    I do not know which forum this belongs but I just wish to say thanks to CB for existing. I have learned so much from this site and it was all good. I learned how to revive a bricked berry, how to clean and color my track ball, how to create themes, I haven't shared because I am still learning that and they are very crude still, I learned how to use my berry as a modem saving myself twenty-nine dollars every month in lieu of paying for spotty high speed internet service via my satetelite company, how to wipe my berry and restore everything. This is my testmonial to the wonders of crackberry, yes I am a crack addict, no not that kind of crack. There is so much more but I do not want to bore the readers so I will stop here. As Ms. Fields once said, "you love me, you really love me!"
    08-02-08 02:07 PM
    As far as I know, I don't have any type of messenger on here other than sending text messages.

Where would I get the desktop manager? Is it something for free or do you pay for it?

Unfortunately, this phone doesn't have an sd card slot.

Its free, download it from Blackberry.com.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

If you do not have an sd card though depending on the size of your memory you will have to be carefull what you put onto it.

You should also be able to get BB Messenger from mobile.blackberry.com providing it is compatible with your device. BB messenger is only for BB to BB though.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-02-08 at 02:23 PM.
    08-02-08 02:20 PM
    Once again, thanks for all the help. I got the Desktop Manager installed. According to the Media Manager, the limit I can do is 2.83mb and since the phone doesn't have a lot for an sd card, I will like you said, have to be careful with what I add.

BB messenger wouldn't really help me because I don't know very many other people with Blackberrys.

Is there anyway to get AIM onto the Blackberry?
    08-02-08 02:38 PM
    08-02-08 02:44 PM
    Hi and welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-08 02:45 PM
    Looks like I can add AIM, but I have to do it through the browser which I don't have yet. You've answered all my questions and in a very timely manner. Thanks again, you and this site as a whole have been extremely helpful for this first timer.
    08-02-08 02:52 PM
    No problem skizmcniz ( like the username )

Good luck with getting everyhting set up.
    08-02-08 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the welcome yogi.

People always seem to like my username lol. Thanks again.
    08-02-08 03:17 PM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    08-02-08 03:30 PM
    I'm having problems with my 8700. It's starting to turn off and on by itself. I'll try to text someone or just go through the menus in my phone and it will stop making sounds when I press the keys then it just shuts off and the led starts flashing red. Then it restarts and turns back on. It's been doing it for the last half hour or so and won't stay on more than a few minutes.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
    08-14-08 11:59 PM
    The 8700g has a program called OZ Instant Message. It's suppose to connect to AIM, YAHOO, and ICQ. The newwer versions of AIM for blackberry do not work for the 8700g.

Double check because I don't remember if that program will send and receive the IM's as text messages. I had the 8700g but I never used that program.
    08-15-08 03:03 AM
    I'm having problems with my 8700. It's starting to turn off and on by itself. I'll try to text someone or just go through the menus in my phone and it will stop making sounds when I press the keys then it just shuts off and the led starts flashing red. Then it restarts and turns back on. It's been doing it for the last half hour or so and won't stay on more than a few minutes.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

What version of the OS do you have? It's probably an older one. Upgrading it to the newer version of the OS could resolve that. To find out what version you are using click on Options, Advanced Options, About and you'll see what version you are using.

Ok, I can't post links yet but go to the top of this forum and you'll see a thread that shows the latest version for your device.
    08-15-08 03:08 AM
    4.2.1.107 is the version I have I think. That's what it says under ABOUT in the options. I also hear what sounds like a clicking coming from the speaker as well. It seems to do it every time the phone restarts. When the phone is about to restart, the clicking stops and I can hear what sounds like a soft static sound until the phone shuts off.
    08-15-08 10:35 PM
    That clicking that I mentioned before seems to be happening constantly now. My phone is just sitting next to me and I can hear that clicking sound coming through the speaker nonstop.

Is my phone slowly breaking?
    08-18-08 06:01 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD