So after asking questions in this and other forums...seems like people love their 8703e. Compared to 8830 there is no background noise issue and the ringtones are plently loud...I actually like feel of 8703e better and wheel better than ball...BUT I just feel like I will make a mistake in getting outdated tech?....I really just need for phone, calendar, contacts...media not important...so am I wrong to go with the tried and true 8703e...and now that 4.2 is out...perhaps its not really that outdated...???

thoughts? Thanks
    11-03-07 10:30 PM
    I would get the 8703 before the 8830!! Just toooo many complaints about the 8830 to make me comfortable getting it!!!!
    11-03-07 10:44 PM
    Two things make our 8703e's outdated. The lack of a camera and the inability to play mp3 music...that's it! Personally, I like the wheel over the trackball, I also think our 8703's are more ergonomic than the 8800 series.

That said, I would only dump my 8703e for a Curve, that is, if Verizon ever releases it...
    11-03-07 10:45 PM
    Would you try to pearl before committing to 8703e? I guess the smaller size thing is attractive...what actually concerns me is that I really need for calendar and seems like small screen means not seeing alot a quick glance with a readable font size?
    11-03-07 10:59 PM
    I don't think it's "outdated" at all. My definition of "outdated" would be the lack of capacity and capabilities to keep up with modern times and necessities. It would be outdated if it could not function as a phone (for whatever reason), handle e-mail, and double as a personal organizer -- all of which it does perfectly fine. You'd first have to define your sense of "outdated." I had an 8703e with Verizon and I loved it; the only reason I didn't stay was because I didn't get any signal in my building and that is important to me. Otherwise, I would've been perfectly happy sticking with it.

For your usage, the 8703e is perfectly fine. You're right, it is tried and true and many people I know have had theirs for more than a year. They are all satisfied with the phone. If media is not important to you, the phone should be sufficient.
    11-04-07 12:25 AM
    Of course the 8703e is "outdated" and so is my 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 van that I purchased brand new in March 2006.

The question is will I go out and purchase a new 2008 model vehicle because I have "old" technology, will I go out and purchase the latest BB because my 8703e is "outdated"? At the present time NNNOOO! Why?? because my 8703e does what I want it to do.

Of course, I would love to be able to play music on my bb but I have a 30gig iPod for that!!
    11-04-07 07:50 AM
    I don't think that the 8703e is outdated at all. There are a couple of reasons that I don't like the 8830 and the major reason is the keyboard. I don't like that the keys are all pushed togther and it seems "mushy".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-07 08:51 AM
    I guess its just that if I had an 8703e I would not trade up...but the fact that I am about to buy a new device it "feels" wrong to get the old model...although, I have found that with tech products and other products its often best to get the last year of a good one...all bugs worked out..than the first year of a new product that has many bugs to work out.

Anyone with 8703e....is the size a problem...I really want to carry in pants pocket...Its actually thinner than the LG 8300 I now have but obviously wider, etc...is it portable enough to not use holster?

thanks
    11-04-07 09:13 AM
    It really all depends on the portability issue. If you don't mind having the bulk of the phone in your pockets, it should be fine.

You can't go wrong on the 8703e. It doesn't seem like too many people have had problems with it. The only other options on Verizon are the upcoming Pearl or the 8830. I can tell you this much: If you don't have the fingers of a 4-year-old, it takes some time getting used to typing on the 8800 series phones because the keys are tiny. I got rid of mine for an 8700 series phone and life just became easier - especially if you do a lot of e-mail.
    11-04-07 01:00 PM
    love my 8703e I think its the best one out there, it may not be the flashiest but it has a reputation of bing a rock solid machine

I researched for a month before I bought mine and the 8703e was recommended
    11-04-07 06:57 PM
    If you want the cool new features then the 8703 isnt the way to go. It seems the focus is on the 8800's and curves (8300's) now. I fear the 8700's will fall by the wayside shortly.
    11-06-07 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD