So jumped the bandwagon, and i loaded the new OS.....

--------------------------------------------------------

So after having taken the plunge to load the new OS 4.2.1 from BlackBerry, my 8700v came back to life…like gasping for air after deep sea dive…..

Having had a BlackBerry 8100 Pearl, I had a fair idea of the new OS 4.2 anyhow. Immediately you see why the Trackball works so well with this new OS. So using the Trackwheel initially was a little confusing but give yourself a few moments and you become proficient. The first option for me was to change immediately to the Zen Theme. You are limited to 3 Dimension (Today, Icon and Zen) Themes, plus I have a “v” model therefore Vodafone Today was also available.

I then worked my way through listing the Zen Home Screen Icons. A nice change, in Messages, you can select to have Email and SMS as separate folder or combined or if you want theme controlled. This is one thing I felt the original theme lacked. You can tell the difference by the icon within the Message folder
    Also when composing messages you have the option to compose an Instant Message (as well as all the others)and then the option to choose which ever programs you have installed like Google Talk, JT or Yahoo as well as the BB Messenger.

I then decided to hide all the Applications I don’t use, mainly because I know the short cuts anyway, but overload!

So my main menu now stands: Email / SMS / BB / Calendar / Tasks / Memos / Opera / Browser / Maps / Media / Profiles / Alarm / Voice Notes / Calculator / Password Keeper / Pico News / Options / Bluetooth / Wireless / Off

The next main change is the obvious Maps option. Now I need to check this out and someone may help me with this, but I guess I need to dig out my GPS Receiver to get this to work but seeing as this picks up USA, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, I am not sure of the successful outcome - however I like the option being there (but I doubt it would replace my car Sat Nav)

The original Pictures Application is now the Media Files. And that does host the MP3s and Pictures, and on first impressions, this resembles a Nokia /Sony Ericsson style layout, giving the option of having separate folders for Downloaded Items and Pre-Installed. You also have the Contacts Folder and Folder Icons pictures available just like previously on the Pearl. But being the OS4.2 – you would expect that.

The last obvious change is the Voice Notes option. So I think this is going to be a real change for me and a good tool. Not yet had the chance to test it so wouldn’t comment until I can have some constructive feedback.

As for my other Applications which I added, such as Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger and Jive Talk are yet to be tested, but I am assuming these may not work as there are made for the 8700 Series OS 4.1 and not the 4.2 – but feel free to correct me.

In Options -- > Network: The option to Turn Off Data Services is available.

The TCP Settings for Opera needed configuring but first tests work seamlessly so far – I need my RSS Feeds.

Security Settings also now all to have Message Background Colours so for a laugh I tested this with a nice Green…well I shouldn’t have! My eyes went funny, but the idea is good and I suppose for certain people this would go down well.

I am sure there will be some far more detailed reviews and also screen shots, which I need to do but this is so far a Thumbs Up from me, and as I write this more things become apparent. Being an Official Release by RIM, the feared bugs are ironed out. Go on give it a go…..Although not sure about 8703e
    04-12-07 10:38 AM
    Nice review; looking forward to doing mine this afternoon...
    todbanner likes this.
    04-12-07 10:46 AM
    Where can I download the 4.2 software for the 8703e ?
    04-12-07 10:58 AM
    You can get it Here
    04-12-07 02:23 PM
    Thanks to TMag and Kasperapd, I now have 4.2 on my 8700!
    04-12-07 02:38 PM
    Not sure it works....becareful!
    04-12-07 04:11 PM
    Has this 4.2 upgrade been confirmed to install and work properly on the Sprint 8703e?

I would like to do this without bricking my phone. Has anyone had success?

Thanks
    05-22-07 01:55 PM
    4.2.1 won't run on a 8703. This is just for 8700's ATM..
    05-23-07 05:01 PM
    DO NOT INSTALL ANY 4.2 VERSION FOR SPRINT 8703e EXCEPT FROM SPRINT, IT IS NOT OUT YET, ANY OTHER VERSION WONT INSTALL OR CAUSE YOUR BB TO KEEP RESETING. I tried it and had to jump back to 4.1. It is not fun.
    05-27-07 09:02 AM
    are you sure that upgrading the os will not make any damages to my bb 8100?
    01-06-09 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD