I have a 8700g with data service from TMobile. When I roamed in Germany, my data services stopped working (shows GSM in the top corner). If I try to activate the browser it tells me I am not in a data coverage area.

When I came back into the US, back onto TMobile I still have the same problem. Tmobile tells me I have a data service subscription, however nothing, I have totally restored the software, activated the data option resent the service book. Nothing.

TMobile says until the display shows GPRS or EDGE I will have no data.

Any ideas
    03-12-08 04:28 PM
    I assume you have tried a data pull? If your phone does not say EDGE, in uppercase, you will not have data. You have wipe your BB and reloaded the OS?
    03-12-08 04:40 PM
    rvrichardson, with the BB powered ON, remove the battery, hold for 30 seconds, replace and allow the BB to reboot.

Likely, if you have restored the software (you mean the BB Operating System?) you have had the BB reboot. But do it again as described.

Now, also, you might remove the SIM card and reseat it in the BB.
    03-12-08 05:02 PM
    Well, thanks for the help. I tried all of these measures then I found out the problem. It seems as though only half of the Tmobile Blackberry support knows how to do an "EDGE" reset on the service.
    The last person I spoke to corrected the problem in about 30 seconds.
    Moral of the story - If at first you don't succeed. Phone back and get a different support engineer.....
    03-12-08 06:01 PM
    Well... are you gonna share what they did?
    03-12-08 06:02 PM
    Well, thanks for the help. I tried all of these measures then I found out the problem. It seems as though only half of the Tmobile Blackberry support knows how to do an "EDGE" reset on the service.
    The last person I spoke to corrected the problem in about 30 seconds.
    Moral of the story - If at first you don't succeed. Phone back and get a different support engineer.....
    Or start here.
    03-12-08 06:03 PM
    Likely resent the Service Books.

Or one of them "Data Pulls".
    03-12-08 06:05 PM
    No, it was not the service books, these are only sent if you have a data service.

I am not sure what this "EDGE" reset is, I asked the service engineer and he said it was an option on their support screen. He said if this happens again, just ask for an "EDGE" reset and the Support person should know what to do... (or call back to speak to another person)

Once the EDGE re-appeared back on the screen, I then received 3 notifications from "Activation Server" - this is the Service Book information that was sent earlier. So sending the Service Book while there is no EDGE would not have helped.
    03-12-08 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD