Here is the link, go to the 8700 in the drop down menu.

Instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.2 SP2.
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8700c AT&T version)
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

Have some patience, this will take 30-60 minutes to complete. DO NOT unplug the device until it is finished!
    06-28-07 10:08 AM
    Thanks bro...
    06-29-07 09:40 AM
    Give a hand to someone completely new. does it matter if i'm on the 8700g? I'm terrified i'll turn my blackberry into a brick and being told "too bad" if and when i call T-Mobile for help.
    07-01-07 09:06 PM
    It works with the 'g', too. Just follow the steps one at a time - and take your time. You'll be fine...
    07-01-07 09:45 PM
    this is weird. i got my BB on Friday.. i updated my OS tonight to v4.1.0.346, and then did kasper's method of unlocking all the wallpapers (i don't think it's relevant, but i just wanted to backtrack for the more knowledgeable). i then downloaded the update in the link provided up top just as i did when i downloaded my first update, but nothing is happening when i open the Device Manager. I then clicked the Application Loader and it tells me that there is no action to be taken on anything. am i doing something wrong or is there no difference in this update compared to the one I got off T-Mobile's site?
    07-01-07 10:24 PM
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file?
    07-02-07 12:54 PM
    i'm at my work pc, but i'm pretty sure i didn't do that. the only vendor things i deleted were the vendorID's within the blackberry.alx file.
    07-02-07 01:24 PM
    nope... my vendor.xml file is still there. i'm going to download the update again and start fresh. hopefully it works.
    07-02-07 05:32 PM
    You shouldn't have to do that unless you already deleted it from your system. Just find and delete the vendor.xml file, and then DM will prompt you to upgrade.
    07-02-07 05:43 PM
    i'd be lost without you guys, but slight concern: after the update was done it made me run through a set up wizard, and my theme was on some black and white stick figure looking thing. I've since changed the theme again to what I had, but is that normal? sorry if i'm asking too many questions.. i'm just really apprehensive about ruining this thing. it's less than a week and it's already a major part of my life.
    Last edited by Amen; 07-02-07 at 06:24 PM.
    07-02-07 06:17 PM
    Black and white stick figure thing??? Haven't heard or seen that one. So it's working for you now?
    07-02-07 06:53 PM
    Loading a new OS, is like getting a new device. So, once you're done, just change your settings back. Unless of course you did a backup, and if yes, you should be able to do a restore...
    07-02-07 06:54 PM
    yep yep everything is in order. the new caller id photos are lovely. i just don't like that now i can't delete any of the default images that come with the blackberry. any chance you know what i'd need to delete in the .alx file to free up that space and get rid of it? i'll never use those tones or pics, so all they're doing is taking up space.
    07-03-07 07:05 PM
    i have loaded this version on my Rogers 8700r. Seems to work fine, anyone know how far you can push these updates that aren't meant for your carrier? And how much of a difference there is? Thanks for the tip though on removing vendor file, install and update went very cleanly
    07-08-07 05:06 PM
    This will work fine on the Rogers version of the 8700 also. You're not pushing anything. RIM writes all the software and it's up to each carrier to test and release it.
    07-08-07 09:35 PM
    just did this to my tmobile 8700g and it works great. thanks for posting this
    07-11-07 12:06 AM
    files.filefront.com//;8053779;;/]AppLoader.rar - FileFront.com

here is the apploader.rar and i have the vendor.xml removed alreddy let me know how it works out for you guys

edit: copy past the link to your browser should work cant post urls yet
    Last edited by tomdick; 07-14-07 at 03:42 PM. Reason: not enuff info
    07-14-07 03:40 PM
    may Iask as I am new to BB what the 4.2 software features are.
    07-14-07 11:13 PM
    Its difficult to say, but we could just say, it's the latest, and greatset; probably more Media Manager type changes. Oh, and probably full of 'fixes' for this and that...
    07-14-07 11:18 PM
    Does it have the my faves function?
    07-14-07 11:25 PM
    Myfaves is really NOT needed on a device, once you have it on your account, you'll be fine. Any editing of names / numbers can be done directly from T-mobiles website...

Albeit on the internet you can find an OS / .alx files that will allow you to have the MyFaves application on a 8700. But, what's the point of going through all that...

Ps: You can create speed dial keys that will allow quick dialling of said MyFaves numbers...
    07-14-07 11:30 PM
    SO this doesnt work for the 8703e. Is there an upgrade for this model yet??
    07-16-07 03:39 PM
    Haven't seen a 4.2 release for the 8703e yet. Sorry.
    07-16-07 11:24 PM
    thanks guys. update makes me feel like i have a new crackberry...awesome!!
    07-28-07 10:07 PM
    WARNING!!!!
    I have an 8700c and I updated the software to v4.2.1.96 both the berry and the desktop software AND I went ahead and hacked open the other "themes" and my berry has been aqcting quite under the weather. I'm sure that it is something I did which I wasn't supposed to do BUT I'm just puting it out there for anyone who may want to update... Dont be lazy, do your research unless you want to be like me and figure out how to exterminate the bugs.

Here is an example of what I can no longer do:
    All my google stuff no longer works. when I call up any of the google icons I get an error "Error starting com_google_ bla bla bla... When I go into the internet browser and call up any site with a search engine, when I click the track wheel upon placing the curser in any search field the menu does not pop up??? What else??? Oh... Youd think I was running some sort of windows on my berry because every thing I do seems to call up the hour glass... switching from Apps, texting oh and forget about playing brick breakar... as soon as I catch a "multiple" prize the whole thing takes a crap on me HAHAHA!!!

I'm not saying that updating is a bad idea, I dont know if my problems stem from me having a 8700c or if it is because I opened the vendor themes??? I did everything at once, like an *****, without thinking, so now it's going to take me longer to pinpoint the cause of the problems I'm having.

Sorry for the poor grammer and lousy explainations... I'm a tad pooped and I have a hard time remembering all the techy lingo
    08-02-07 08:20 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD