I just got my 8703e (eBay) in the mail today! I have not yet had the chance to go activate it on my plan at the Alltel store, however I noticed that when I turn it on it asks to start a setup wizard, and I can scroll the click wheel over the options, however none of the keys seem to really do anything. Then, after a while it asks me to confirm the date and time, and gives me two options "ok" and "edit," and again the click wheel works but none of the buttons seem to do anything. Did I get a broken one? Or is there something else I have to do?
    03-21-09 03:20 PM
    It shows that setup wizard and confirm time when it was wiped before you got it. Try opening memopad and typing something to see if the buttons work.
    03-21-09 04:29 PM
    Congrats, enjoy it
    03-21-09 04:31 PM
    It shows that setup wizard and confirm time when it was wiped before you got it. Try opening memopad and typing something to see if the buttons work.
    The problem is I cannot get into ANYTHING. The click wheel does not appear to work. Sometimes it will move, but clicking it does not seem to do anything. There are a couple of keys that will NOT push down, so I am thinking that I got a broken one.

Refurbished, my ***...
    03-21-09 04:43 PM
    Ut oh...thats not a good sign. Contact the seller and tell them you want an exchange. Thats what I would do.
    03-21-09 04:45 PM
    Ut oh...thats not a good sign. Contact the seller and tell them you want an exchange. Thats what I would do.
    Yep thats what I just did. Boy am I pissed about it! It was supposedly a refurbished phone and it doesn't even work!
    03-21-09 04:52 PM
    That sucks. You never know, maybe you just got a bum one. Hopefully the next one will be good. If you want I can dig around in my ebay accounts and find out who it was I got a couple blackberry's from. They dealt good stuff.
    03-21-09 04:56 PM
    Alright that would be cool. If it means anything to ya, I ordered mine from Misty Electronics' eBay store.
    03-21-09 04:58 PM
    Here you go. I got a couple from these guys before. really good to deal with.
    eBay Store - Cell phones PDAS MP3: PALM, SAMSUNG, LG
    They dont have any 87xx's right now but they have some 88xx world edition for cheap. Worth looking into.
    03-21-09 05:21 PM
    You know you have to push the trackwheel in to activate your selection right? If that is not the problem then as others have said get it replaced. The 8700 series is a great one!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 05:24 PM
    Okay so I've been playing around with it all night, and it seems very intermittent. Sometimes it runs slow as **** and the track wheel does not work, other times it runs just fine...
    03-21-09 07:48 PM
    return it!!!!!!
    03-22-09 12:23 AM
    I emailed the guy and he was cool about it, I'm gonna send it back and he's going to send me another one (its an eBay store). I will post updates when I get the new one.
    03-22-09 11:11 AM
    That's good to hear. Let us know how it pans out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 01:46 PM
    He sent the new one out. Should be here in few days :-)
    03-23-09 10:23 PM
    Somehow he accidentally sent it to my home address instead of my college address, which makes no sense because he sent the first one up here just fine...So I will have to wait until this weekend to go home and get it.........
    03-26-09 09:13 AM
    Wow, your just having all kinds of bad luck with this thing. Hopefully this device will be working good though.
    03-26-09 09:18 AM
    Hokay so. I got the Blackberry. It works absolutely perfectly except the button on the side under the track wheel is MISSING! Since this is a minor inconvenience, I have activated it with my service and changed my plan, all that fun stuff, but I am really unhappy with the eBay seller! When he says 'refurbished' then I don't expect to get a phone with missing/broken buttons. I think a negative feedback is in order...

Although I might find a way to take the button out of the other one (that I have not sent back yet) and put it into this one...

Other than that I'm loving the Blackberry!!
    03-29-09 04:09 PM
    Enjoy you can troubleshoot anything here.
    03-29-09 07:04 PM
    Glad you got your device. This is just me...it seems this person dealt you wrong already. I would take pictures of both devices showing the sticker under the battery. Email him the pic of the new one thats missing the button. He sold you a device under the premise of it being refurbed. Refurbed devices dont come missing buttons. Then I would take the devices and swap the parts to make myself the best I can. You need a couple torx screwdrivers to take it apart. Go to lowes and you can get a whole 8 bit kobalt set for under ten bucks.
    03-29-09 07:44 PM
    I was actually thinking of going to the Alltel store in town and seeing if they would be willing to do it. I know they like to sell you something new in their store (they get commission afterall) but they have been more than willing to help me when I have come in with questions before, and they were very helpful when I came in with my girlfriend and we set it up and switched our plan. It's worth a try, right?

Other than that the device is AMAZING! It's really nice having Facebook, Twitter, AIM, Gmail, text messages, and of course the phone (WHAT A CONCEPT!) in one small device! It makes communication SO much easier!
    03-30-09 10:00 PM
    Update: I took the device apart and replaced the missing button with the one that I took out of the broken one and it is working great! Still a little unsure about battery life, but other than that it is great!
    04-03-09 08:26 PM
    Seng ...glad your happy. Thats one tough device you have there . As you know always feel free to ask questions.
    04-03-09 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD