Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I cant seem to view attachments on my outlook email account. Operating on os 4.1 - any suggestions?

Thanks!
    05-18-08 12:38 PM
    Are you on BES or BIS?

Check to see what size the file is that has the attachment in it. I'm pretty sure that BIS won't allow files with attachments over 500K in size to come through onto your BB. I fooled with this yesterday by emailing several files of different sizes and the ones over 500K never showed up on my BB.
    05-18-08 05:08 PM
    Call me a "newbie" - not sure what bes or bis are? The files I am trying to view are larger than 500k - thanks for the info.
    05-18-08 08:15 PM
    BES is "Blackberry Enterprise Server." It's what your employer uses to administer and control Blackberry accounts, and to grant access to a corporate intranet. If you have an employer-provided blackberry, you're almost certainly on BES.

BIS is "Blackberry Internet Service." It's what you sign up for if you buy your blackberry from a carrier.

There's a Blackberry 101 topic that gives more information. At the top of the screen, click on "Newbies" then "Blackberry 101 Lecture Series." BIS/BES is discussed in Lecture 2.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-18-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added more detail
    05-18-08 11:20 PM
    Thanks so much!
    05-19-08 09:06 PM
    Ok so I definitely have BIS - at&t carrier... is there any application that will allow me to view attachments?
    Thanks
    05-19-08 09:11 PM
    You can view word, excel, and PDFs with the built-in bb viewer, as long as you have it installed. In the Application Loader, make sure that "Blackberry Attachment Service" is checked. If it isn't, check it and click "Next" to allow the AL to load it.

I don't know about the size limit that mkinnen mentioned. I haven't run into that. The "max size attachments allowed" may be a BES administrator choice and if so could vary by installation.
    05-19-08 09:30 PM
    Jeff, can you think of any reason why my new Curve 8310 won't open either Excel or PowerPoint files at all? (I'm on BIS if that helps, and running 4.2.2.17 on my BB.) I can open Word files no problem, but can't view other Office files. (When I click on one of these two file types when they're email attachments, it just hangs and never opens the file.)
    05-19-08 10:08 PM
    I'm on BES, running 4.2.2.176 on my Verizon 8830. I can open a 5MB ppt file; it just takes maybe a minute. First you get a clock icon, then a check mark, then a big check mark in the center of the screen, then a file opening progress bar, then the file opens. If you're trying to open a Really Big ppt, it may be that you're just not waiting long enough, or you may be exceeding your memory capacity. I would think you would get an error message in that case. In both cases I'm opening these files as email attachments.

Try a really small excel or ppt. Make one slide and email it to yourself. Or email yourself a spreadsheet with just one number in it, to make sure you're not just exceeding your memory...
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-19-08 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more details
    05-19-08 10:23 PM
    I just sent myself a small PowerPoint file. When I open the email, it says "1 attachment." When I click on the attachment to open it, I get a menu that gives these options only:
    Copy
    Forward
    Reply to All
    Delete
    Full Menu

But there's no "Open" option at all...

any ideas???
    05-19-08 10:44 PM
    I just sent myself a small PowerPoint file. When I open the email, it says "1 attachment." When I click on the attachment to open it, I get a menu that gives these options only:
    Copy
    Forward
    Reply to All
    Delete
    Full Menu

But there's no "Open" option at all...

any ideas???
    I have "Open Attachment" between "Reply to All" and "Delete."

I assume you have the "Blackberry Attachment Service" checked in the Applications Loader. If so, you could try getting the Service Books re-sent. I think that's something you can do for yourself on BIS. Otherwise, I don't know.

Just found this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/open...b-curve-30760/
    I'm not sure I agree with it, since I can open ppt, but it does match your experience...
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-19-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added link to earlier thread
    05-19-08 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD