I recently purchased my new BlackBerry 8703e and I am overwhelmed with frustration. All I want to do is put ringtones, photos, applications, etc. on my phone! I've downloaded Desktop Manager but Media Manager doesn't detect my device.. Is my device too old? Please tell me there is another way that I can get ringtones on my BB..
    07-26-08 01:00 PM
    Look under the Newbies tab at the top of the screen, in the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series, at Lecture #18 specifically, but all of them will help you.
    07-27-08 07:52 PM
    The 8703 doesn't have a media card slot/media app per se. It is a fairly old device and pre the media swing that RIM is on. You may want to look at the 8830/8130/8330 as they are newer devices and do more with media.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 07:54 PM
    Aw well that sucks. I guess I'm stuck with the stupid aggrivating defaults.. I really appreciate the help though BEnriched! Because if you didn't tell me about this, I would've continued to try and try again. Thanks anyways!
    07-29-08 08:47 AM
    Aw well that sucks. I guess I'm stuck with the stupid aggrivating defaults.. I really appreciate the help though BEnriched! Because if you didn't tell me about this, I would've continued to try and try again. Thanks anyways!
    With a little patience and some reading you can do this. Since I went through this last week w/ my son's 8700c I can help out.

As a person who never touched a BB before last weekend this is what I did:
    - I dl'ed the newest Desktop Mgr w/ Roxio Media Mgr. Come to find out that this version of Media Mgr doesnt work w/ the 8700c.
    - I did some reseach and found that Desktop Mgr 4.2.1 works perfectly w/ the 8700.
    - I dl'd 4.2.1, the find out I need to update the firmware on the BB to 4.2 or higher.
    - I dl the newest firmware (4.5 i think) and installed it on the BB.

Now my son's 4.5 firmware BB and Desktop Mgr 4.2.1 works flawlessly together. It was a long road, took 3 hrs or so, but in the end hes happy w/ his BB w/ 5 Super Mario ring tones, 1 Chowder ringtone, a few others, and a bunch of wallpapers he can swap out.

I found all this out by reading this forum, some other BB forums, and some random googling. Then again I'm used to this sort of thing as I have modded all my cell phones so far.

All I need to do now is find some free BB games and figure out how to install those.
    Last edited by stcshindo; 07-29-08 at 02:11 PM.
    07-29-08 02:09 PM
    With a little patience and some reading you can do this. Since I went through this last week w/ my son's 8700c I can help out.

As a person who never touched a BB before last weekend this is what I did:
    - I dl'ed the newest Desktop Mgr w/ Roxio Media Mgr. Come to find out that this version of Media Mgr doesnt work w/ the 8700c.
    - I did some reseach and found that Desktop Mgr 4.2.1 works perfectly w/ the 8700.
    - I dl'd 4.2.1, the find out I need to update the firmware on the BB to 4.2 or higher.
    - I dl the newest firmware (4.5 i think) and installed it on the BB.

Now my son's 4.5 firmware BB and Desktop Mgr 4.2.1 works flawlessly together. It was a long road, took 3 hrs or so, but in the end hes happy w/ his BB w/ 5 Super Mario ring tones, 1 Chowder ringtone, a few others, and a bunch of wallpapers he can swap out.

I found all this out by reading this forum, some other BB forums, and some random googling. Then again I'm used to this sort of thing as I have modded all my cell phones so far.

All I need to do now is find some free BB games and figure out how to install those.
    Thanks, I have been trying to load an 8700 using 4.6. Now dling 4.2.1 and I will give it a try
    01-25-09 11:02 AM
    Mattskates, I might be mistaken but I dont think there is a 4.5 for your 8703e. As far as I know its still 4.2. 8700 OS will not work on your device to my knowledge.
    01-25-09 11:28 AM
    Whiff snort 4.6 DM should load 8700 4.5 OS on your device. You have to download the os to your computer and install it on your pc first. Then you have to delet the vendor.xml file before DM will notice there is an upgrade available. Link for proper upgrade/downgrade in my signature.
    01-25-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD