My 8703e, just purchased in March and otherwise trouble free, has frozen up on a white screen with this error message: JUM Error 517

Tried powering off and completely removing battery several times, and nothing helps. Called Verizon customer support, and they had no clue what was wrong. They want to ship me another--refurbished (!)--device, which is not what I want.

Sounds like I'll be going to the VZW store tomorrow to see about getting another new device, but if I want to upgrade to the 8830, I have to pay bigtime. (And I'd rather wait for VZW to get the Curve 8330 anyway.)

Anybody have any suggestions?
    07-04-07 07:18 PM
    Sorry, you have to reload the OS! Either use the one on the CD that you got with the device, or download a newer one from the carrier, IF it's available...
    07-05-07 05:54 AM
    ^^^Thanks for your response navilyn. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to reload the operating system. (I'm an editor with no IT background.)

I can't believe my BB just melted down like this after only four months of use. It's my first one. Why would this happen? I've treated it very carefully.
    07-05-07 10:55 AM
    Update: I've had it with Verizon. I spent two hours in their local store yesterday. They swapped out my broken BlackBerry for another one that also didn't work, and they were unable to get the replacement working on the spot. They were very unhelpful and unapologetic. Today I'm breaking my contract with them and going to AT&T to buy the Curve.
    07-06-07 09:40 AM
    Dear Cosmopolitan,

I am really surprised that Verizon was unhelpful. I've had major issues with my 8703e and when their tech support couldn't resolve the issue, they transferred me to RIM who 9 times out of 10 resolved the issue. I know you must go through your carrier before being transferred to RIM otherwise if you call RIm on your own, you are charged I believe $49 a question.

I guess I've been just lucky that anytime I've had a problem, Verizon was gracious, kind, extremely accommodating and very sorry and understanding. I did all my transactions over the phone and not at a local store.

I too have treated my 8703e like it was the Hope Diamond and had a crocodile case made for it etc. and still I had problems with the device where email folders would not come back etc.. RIM finally worked with me for a few hours and all seems to be working fine at the moment.

Hope you have better luck with your new carrier. So sorry to hear that they were unkind and not helpful towards you.

Gia
    Last edited by Giavanna; 07-06-07 at 09:52 AM.
    07-06-07 09:49 AM
    Brilliant! You should get a better result with them. The only question I have is, have you verified that you get AT&T service at home, and work?

Update: I've had it with Verizon. I spent two hours in their local store yesterday. They swapped out my broken BlackBerry for another one that also didn't work, and they were unable to get the replacement working on the spot. They were very unhelpful and unapologetic. Today I'm breaking my contract with them and going to AT&T to buy the Curve.
    07-06-07 09:59 AM
    One thing that I tell everyone, no matter who the carrier is, is to go to a corporate store, and not just a dealer. The dealers just suck, since the only thing that they see when you walk through the door are the commissions and spiffs that they can get by selling you something that you really don't want.

The corporate stores are there to take care of the customer, since those folks are generally salaried, and have been through the company's training classes. Since they're the direct face of the company, they are generally better than the dealer types overall.

The only time that I go into a dealer is if I need to pick up an accessory like a charger or case, and I don't really need the service.
    07-07-07 11:33 AM
    Hi Cosmo...

So sorry to hear you had that experience!!! The only good news from this is that you will get a Curve

Definitely a Corporate store would be the best choice.

07-07-07 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD