Hi everyone,

I just recently switched over to a Blackberry 8700 (on AT&T) from a Blackberry Curve 8310 because I damaged the screen before repair and did not have an upgrade so a cheap 8700 was the next best thing. I love the side-scroll a LOT more than the track ball but because it is an old phone, I'm having a few issues that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. I'm guessing that the software is old because this phone is from a while ago but is there anyway that I can update it so that it can run more 3rd party applications/be a more updated phone?

2. I know the SMS and Emails are NOT separate because the Zen theme is not unlocked on the phone but I was wondering, is there a way that I can download a zen theme onto the phone? I've seen hacks but I'm a bit wary to try that on my phone... I don't want to cause any damage. The combination of emails and SMS is driving me insane!

Thanks in advance!
    01-31-10 07:00 PM
    Yes, You can seperate emails and SMS.
    02-04-10 08:44 AM
    my friend pls try WINLOADER. IF you want i can send you the ZEN theme to your email box.
    09-13-10 04:14 AM
    I switched from the 8700 to a Curve and found it wasn’t as good a device. In retrospect those were the good old days….. @m3ach
    06-08-22 02:27 PM
    I switched from the 8700 to a Curve and found it wasn’t as good a device. In retrospect those were the good old days….. @m3ach
    I know there were many here that loved the size of the Curve.... I wasn't one of them. BOLD was perfect for that time...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-22 03:32 PM
    I know there were many here that loved the size of the Curve.... I wasn't one of them. BOLD was perfect for that time...
    For me the 8700 was in 2005ish to 2007ish but that was so long ago. I replaced the Curve with a Bold 9000 perhaps 2008 or 2009 but again there’s been a lot of hanging out with Captain Morgan and sponsoring RN scholarships in between now and then
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-22 04:37 PM
    Ah ha, you win Chuck! The forums wouldn’t direct me to this post on my phone so I had to find your post manually old school!! My first BlackBerry was a 9320, so a bit later to the game than you guys!

Always liked the 9320 especially Texas Holdem! ‘Toys not tools’, that was the saying wasn’t it?
    06-09-22 04:23 AM
    OS4.1 ! 20mm thick, if i recall. Great at single thumbing. Right hand. Loved the trackwheel. Maintenance headache tho. Later TrackBall proved even more troublesome. Imo. TrackPad later proved THE ultimate for versatility AND reliability. Imo

A person could see and feel RIM's evolving experience with each model, back then. Much that worked evolved into Bold/Curve..

RIM Rep (anyone remember them? Lol) caught much hell from my company. SOME of our "complaints" became "improvements" in later models. Always liked to think that RIM had responded to users. Go figure. Lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-22 05:30 AM
    Ah ha, you win Chuck! The forums wouldn’t direct me to this post on my phone so I had to find your post manually old school!! My first BlackBerry was a 9320, so a bit later to the game than you guys!

Always liked the 9320 especially Texas Holdem! ‘Toys not tools’, that was the saying wasn’t it?
    My first BlackBerry that I purchased was a 7200 series. Before that corporate America provided me the BlackBerry pager style….
    06-09-22 06:10 PM
    My first BlackBerry that I purchased was a 7200 series. Before that corporate America provided me the BlackBerry pager style….
    Wow Chuck that was the early days, mind you I misrepresented how old my first Blackberry was, I just checked and it was an 8520.

I must be older that I thought!
    06-10-22 04:28 AM
    Wow Chuck that was the early days, mind you I misrepresented how old my first Blackberry was, I just checked and it was an 8520.

I must be older that I thought!
    The BlackBerry pager was sometime in 98-00 I think, because I opted for AT&T Ericsson R280LX then an upgraded R289LX WAP internet enabled phones end of 2000 beginning of 2001 since that was even cooler tech.
    06-10-22 11:02 AM
    The BlackBerry pager was sometime in 98-00 I think, because I opted for AT&T Ericsson R280LX then an upgraded R289LX WAP internet enabled phones end of 2000 beginning of 2001 since that was even cooler tech.
    Cool, WAP, I haven’t heard that mentioned in years.

I had Panasonic and Motorola phones prior to my BlackBerry’s, the Motorola was a great phone, looks crazy small by comparison with todays phones!
    06-10-22 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD