Hi Group.
    I got an unlocked BB 8700. I have upgraded it to 4.5 OS.

Now when I am trying to activate the BB service from my service provider I am not able to get EDGE in capital letters. It always shows them in small letters.
    The CS person from the service provider says that the handset is locked, which is why EDGE service is not getting activated. However I am able to make calls using this phone and send and recieve texts.

just wanted to know if its possible that the handset might be locked for Data services and unlocked for Voice.

can any one tell me of any way to confirm this..if my handset is still locked..

Jawed
    India
    06-14-09 12:43 AM
    If you're able to make calls it's unlocked. Try a battery pull and see if it helps. It usually does for my Curve and Storm. At the very worst, your PIN might've been blocked which'll block any data that goes through BB/RIM's servers.
    06-14-09 12:52 AM
    Check your APN settings and make sure it's set for your provider and also see if you can have them resend your service books or if you can do it yourself. I have a Storm on T-Mobile and when I do an OS update I have to resend my service books. The APN is only important for WAP Browser but service books are required for Data.
    06-14-09 12:56 AM
    thanks for the quick replies.
    So I can safely assume that my BB is unlocked...thats a relief..but a bigger worry now is that my PIN may have been blocked ..

have been breaking my head with the CS reps for so many hours now..
    what they say is that from their side everything is ok and configured as it should be.
    If its not working then something's wrong with my handset...

Is there any way of confirming if my PIN is the one that's blocked on RIM's servers??

Jawed
    06-14-09 01:05 AM
    Have you had them resend you the service books? I have to do that to get EDGE on my Storm. If all else fails call up RIM and see if they can help.
    06-19-09 04:12 AM
    Hey Jawed

I recently bought an unlocked BB 8800 T-mobile which is giving me 'edge' problem.

My Vodafone people say BIS is active & nothing else they can do.

Guys - can anyone outthre help me...?
    07-07-09 01:44 AM
    Hi,
    My problem was solved by downgrading the handset OS. As I understand the latest OS which is advocated in this forum does not work in India. to make it work the best that you can go is upto 4.2

you can give that a try. in my case it(4.2) did work.

Jawed Ahmed
    07-07-09 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD