i posted in cingular/att section, but since this is 8700 series specifically please forgive me for the double post, but i might get an answer here as well..

i'm waiting for my used BB 8700c to come from ebay, figured i'd ask if anyone knows if it has AIM yahoo windows mssnger client built in..

i dont know if i want a BB data plan, i bought the phone for the keyboard and pda functions... i am goin to use opera mini for when i NEED to go online for something which is rare...

but want to know since my messenging package includes IM as text messages IF its client is built into the phone.. (as in, i dont go online through a browser and log into messenger using data to stay logged in)..

thanks!..

all the posts i have scanned through contain lots of info for data msgn apps, i guess im looking for the reverse....
    05-28-08 12:41 PM
    You need to get OZ messenger it runs IM messages as SMS messages so you don't need a data plan. You are going to have to get OZ messenger on your phone one way or another which means either going on the internet via your phone and downloading it. Or download the app to your computer and syncing it. You also have to purchase OZ messenger I am not sure of the cost but it is pretty cheap.
    05-28-08 02:10 PM
    i posted in cingular/att section, but since this is 8700 series specifically please forgive me for the double post, but i might get an answer here as well..

i'm waiting for my used BB 8700c to come from ebay, figured i'd ask if anyone knows if it has AIM yahoo windows mssnger client built in..

i dont know if i want a BB data plan, i bought the phone for the keyboard and pda functions... i am goin to use opera mini for when i NEED to go online for something which is rare...

but want to know since my messenging package includes IM as text messages IF its client is built into the phone.. (as in, i dont go online through a browser and log into messenger using data to stay logged in)..

thanks!..

all the posts i have scanned through contain lots of info for data msgn apps, i guess im looking for the reverse....
    Can't say for certain since the phone is second hand. But I hate to inform you that without a data plan, you won't be able to use Opera Mini.
    05-28-08 02:26 PM
    yes the phone is second hand, and i spent countless time reading through posts on here i think i hit every page for the 8700...

i made sure the pin is clear, and phone is wiped etc...

the seller said medianet is installed on the phone.

my txt plan with att is 1500msgs (any combo of sms, IM, MMS) and includes 5mb of medianet data which is more than i need for on the go use.. i usually have a computer available...

i have dloaded the DL manager with media manager and installed already so i am ready when the phone gets here. so i can install opera... i have read a bunch of threads for setting up opera with att wap settings etc so i should be ok.... i really like opera on my a737 so i would imagine it would be great on the much larger screen,,

now with OZ after some reading am i correct to assume it is similar to the built in IM clients,(i have a samsung a737 which has aim/yahoo/msn built in) wheras i KNOW it needs a data medianet connection to get buddy lists and status etc... but i am NOT CHARGED data for using it to be constantly connected to the messenger client yahoo/msn/aim etc. or does OZ eat constant data as well as use your txt. which seems not likely to use both, just wanted to get clarification, never saw that asked/answered on here..

this site is awesome, i know i have a few other questions when i get the phone.. mainly about upgrading to the newest OS and if i will lose medianet, and need service books to recover, if i need to even care/worry about service books since i dont/wont be using a BB data plan...
    Last edited by fltrekker1; 05-28-08 at 03:14 PM.
    05-28-08 03:06 PM
    Opera mini eats up alot of usage - would definately reccomend a data plan to cover it
    06-02-08 08:14 PM
    hmm... didn't think they did medianet with a blackberry. they might try to make you add a bb data plan (if they find out you're running the 8700), which i would highly recommend anyway...

and if (when) you do end up on the bb unlimited plan, i also can't recommend JiveTalk enough:

www-dot-beejive-dot-com (guess i better keep running my mouth on here till i can use REAL dots . . . . . )

definitey the best, most efficient multi-network bb chat program i've ever had the pleasure of using... well worth whatever they charge for it
    06-19-08 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD