Has anyone ever fixed/replaced their own screen?

I cracked the screen on my 8703e. An internet search found the BlackBerry Repair Shop (I'm not allowed to post urls yet) They sell a DIY screen replacement kit with tool for $50. Add shipping and it comes out to around $62.

I'm thinking of trying it. Any thoughts?
    01-09-08 09:58 AM
    Its easy to do mang, the screen is actually attached with an adhesive film it literally peels off!
    01-09-08 10:23 AM
    I assume you meant the outer screen (aka the "lens" or "bezel"), not the inner LCD panel itself. I've done it myself for a grand total of $9 ($4 for the lens/bezel from eBay and $5 S&H). See this thread for more info. Not very hard to do but it's always good to take your time and work carefully so you don't accidentally break something and make it worse.
    01-09-08 12:33 PM
    Here's a video on youtube on how to take apart your blackberry to replace the screen: . Be very careful!
    01-09-08 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the info. Less than 10 bucks versus $62 -- Damn!
    01-09-08 01:28 PM
    No problem - that's what we're all here for. The youtube video cindylov4 posted (thanks) is what I used for reference the first time as well. The trickiest part was getting the curved "carrier brand" panel off the bottom of the Curve. Just work your way around it and it'll eventually unsnap.
    01-09-08 10:14 PM
    Ha! you're very welcome! My pleasure to help someone out!
    01-10-08 12:39 AM
    I ordered the replacement screen cover? bezel? today from cnn. $2.50 plus $5 for shipping. It will be here next week.

Stay tuned - I'll let you know how I make out.
    01-11-08 02:14 PM
    New screen installed! It took less than 5 minutes! Painless, Easy. Looks good - even has the Verizon Logo so the purchasing agent will never know that I broke that expensive new-fangled toy! Thanks to you all for your support!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-08 08:25 PM
    Good to hear things went so easily.
    01-23-08 07:18 AM
    I just went through the same thing with my 8300 and thought I'd relate my experience. My "lens" had a pretty deep scratch, but was not cracked. I first tried using some scratch remover (ice creme) which made things worse, it just created what, at an angle, looked like a puddle in the middle of my screen (though it worked a trick on my mp3 player - so still a good product - just not for Blackberrys). I found a replacement lens on ebay for $4 plus shipping (a little more than above, but not bad). It came with with a couple of little pry tools but no adhesive. To remove the lens I first tried removing the whole front bezel, but realized that wasn't worth it and then just began prying the lens loose. I started from the bottom, that was a mistake. I damaged the ring around the track-ball. There are three tabs that hold the ring in place and I broke half of one of them. There is still enough of the tabs to hold it in place, but just barely. A better approach is to start prying it free from the recess around the speaker at the top. As long as your careful enough to not damage the screen below, you can be pretty forceful in removing the screen; you just have to overcome the adhesive bond, which takes a little effort. Try to do this in as clean an area as possible, if after you attach your new lens there are fingerprints or dust particles on the other side, well, you'll be in a constant state of arggghh. I ended up using double sided tape that I cut to fit with a razor blade to keep the lens attached. I'd be interested in anyone who has a better suggestion for keeping an adhesive.
    02-15-08 08:32 AM
    I cracked the screen in my bb 8900, rogers is the worst phone company and doesn't fix anything and i no that i wont be able to repair it myself so i am looking for a trustworthy repair company. Any ideas?
    09-26-09 10:26 PM
    can you mail ur phone away to get it fixed? how much is it to buy the ld screen and the repair kit... which one is the better deal?
    09-27-09 11:59 AM
    I have a question, how do I know if my lcd or just my plastic screen is cracked? I have what looks like a spiderweb on my screen and rather than spend 100 bucks to get a new one through insurance, I figured I'd try what I see in the posts above and fix it myself. Anyone have suggestions over what is broke and where I can get the parts to fix it?
    10-12-09 01:54 PM
    its saying I can't pm someone until I have enough posts, just trying to get there
    10-12-09 01:55 PM
    I got a freebie 8700c with a cracked housing, got a new housing from e bay for about $15. Good thing I saved the old housing in an 'old phone parts' box, because I got another 8700c freebie with a busted lens. So I popped the lens off the old case, and if you're really nice to it, the adhesive strip will stay on the phone, not the lens. (You can help it do that by gently pushing it back down). Mine came off intact, on the phone,
    and I had only to clean the good lens and press it in place by pressing evenly all the way around to assure a good seal. Total time to harvest the lens and install it, 20 minutes. (I was being careful).
    If you can't find a lens, get the housing from e bay and just use the lens. (It even comes with tools). It beats $60 for a lens. Hope this helps.

10-22-09 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the info, I have an old 8700 with a small crack that my mom wants to use. I'll have to give that a try.
    10-26-09 01:36 PM
    Damn... more scumbag spammers. Closed
    04-11-10 06:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD