I have a Sprint 8703e blackberry which I recently got from my company. The phone is no longer activated so id like to try and re active it, but without a 2 year contract, or any contract for that matter. I called sprint and they said all plans require a contract. I then called verizon and they said they will do plans month to month, so id rather go down the verizon path. Is it possible to use my Sprint phone on the Verizon network ? I've searched around and found out it is.

- I have my MSL number from sprint, which i have not yet figured out how to change to 000000

- I downloaded 8703eEFSBP_PBr4.2.1_rel195_PL2.3.0.24_A4.2.1.110.e xe which i believe is Verizons OS for the 8703e. Yes, i installed this too. This is the only BB software i have installed on my PC. Along with the Blackberry manager 4.5

- I removed the vendor.xml file from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader"

- I downloaded Javaloader.exe and ran the -u wipe command which wiped my phone.

- I launch the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe" to install the verizon software. I select everything i want installed. This process takes about 20 minutes. Once the phone reboots it still looks just like Sprint ? Shouldnt it have Verizon info or layout on it ? Like the default red layout verizon uses on this version of the BB ?

What am i doing wrong ? Or did the software already load and thats it ?
    Thanks in advance !
    06-27-09 01:29 PM
    I honestly can not remember if verizon will activate a sprint phone on their network. As far as your OS version you installed goes....it doenst matter. You dont need a verizon OS on the device to use it on their network. The startup screen will not be changed by doing an OS install.
    06-27-09 05:37 PM
    If you want to download a Blackberry's OS without any complications at all, all that you should do is delete all previous OS on your computer, download a new OS, and update your BB via desktop manager. That is the most simple way to go about it. The reason it still looks like Sprint is because you still have a Sprint SIM card - You need to replace it with a Verizon SIM card I believe. It may be best to get a new phone entirely to avoid having to buy a SIM card, and pay several other fees.
    06-27-09 05:45 PM
    I honestly can not remember if verizon will activate a sprint phone on their network. As far as your OS version you installed goes....it doenst matter. You dont need a verizon OS on the device to use it on their network. The startup screen will not be changed by doing an OS install.
    I spoke to verizon and they said they will be able to activate the phone. I will need to pay a $35 activation fee then just pay the monthly fee.

im not talking about the Sprint logo startup. Im refering to the entire OS. It looks the same as Sprint. Like it never changed. But when you look at an actual 8703e verizon blackberry it has a red interface, looks different from the sprint one. I thought when you flash / update the software this is what the sprint one would look like.

If you want to download a Blackberry's OS without any complications at all, all that you should do is delete all previous OS on your computer, download a new OS, and update your BB via desktop manager. That is the most simple way to go about it. The reason it still looks like Sprint is because you still have a Sprint SIM card - You need to replace it with a Verizon SIM card I believe. It may be best to get a new phone entirely to avoid having to buy a SIM card, and pay several other fees.
    I didnt think CDMA Phones (Sprint, Verizon) had SIM cards ? ?
    How much are sim cards ?
    In the long run i feel this would be cheaper as this keeps me out of a 2 year contract.
    06-27-09 06:04 PM
    8703E do not have SIM cards.
    06-28-09 11:40 AM
    No cdma devices dont have sim cards. Crackberry storm meh may be confused because the storm does have a sim card slot. Thats so the device can be used on a gsm network like the world edition does.
    To the op....changing the startup screen is debranding....not gonna find many on here to show you how. But to run the vendor theme you want you may want to look at this http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/how...k+vendor+theme
    06-28-09 12:44 PM
    No cdma devices dont have sim cards. Crackberry storm meh may be confused because the storm does have a sim card slot. Thats so the device can be used on a gsm network like the world edition does.
    To the op....changing the startup screen is debranding....not gonna find many on here to show you how. But to run the vendor theme you want you may want to look at this (Link removed due to not enough posts)
    Perfect, That is exactly what i was looking for.

last question i have is regarding the MSL code. Does this need to be changed from the number sprint has it setup to to 000000 to be able to join the verizon network ? or can i leave the MSL code as is ? I have not been able to change that yet, but if need be i will look into it some more. Although if someone can point me in the right direction that would work great too.

Thanks again !
    Last edited by hektik1n; 06-29-09 at 11:37 PM.
    06-29-09 11:34 PM
    I am a noob here and to the 8703e. I am looking to flash my 8703e to boost mobile cdma. It can be done this I already know. I already have all the programs and the prl. Thanks for the os upgrade that I found here. My question is: is there a version of unicdma that works with windows 7 ultimate which is what I have loaded on my laptop. I have it compatible to xp but whenever I choose the port it sends me to a blue error page and my laptop restarts. I talked to a techie friend of mine and he said I should find out if there is a version that will work with windows 7 or if there is a patch or something that I can download. If there is anyone out there that can help with this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Or if there is not a version compatible with windows 7 if someone can shoot me the link for any version of cdma workshop 3.3.5 or newer since 2.7 doesnt work with the blackberry.
    10-05-09 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD