Okay guys, I am new to this site. I just recently got a hand-me-down blackberry 8700g. It nice, and it wasnt used harshly and I think to me it is a great start up blackberry. And by the way it was free. LOL

Now I was told to download and install the latest software and device OS software. I went to Blackberry . com and did the sign up and downloaded the 4.2 Desktop. I installed it and I was anxious to transfer mp3 ring tones to my BB right away. I came to find out that the DT 4.2 was not compatible with the 4.1.0351 OS that was already installed on the device.

I went back to the BB site, and looked to see where I can download the OS. But I realized that the BB I had was an OEM Unlocked version, so it was not connected to any particular vendor. On the OS part of the site, all I saw was different venders and their customized software.

My question is, is there anyplace I can download OS for OEM unlocked bb's or there isnt anything/ or it doesnt exist?

I read some of the threads on how to delete vendor "elms" and what not, but I am still kind of skeptical.
    10-31-07 01:50 PM
    The device being locked or unlocked makes no 'real' difference except for certain things not working correctly, like the browser. So, I suggest you just go to YOUR carriers website, and download said OS, and install...

1. download OS
    2. install OS on pc...
    3. Delete the vendor file (you have to change your Windows file / folder settings to show ALL files so you can see it / find it...
    4. Open Desktop Manager
    5. Connect said BlackBerry
    6. It will automatically see the device, and thus force an upgrade of the OS (this is why you must delete the vendor file)...
    11-01-07 03:18 AM
    The device being locked or unlocked makes no 'real' difference except for certain things not working correctly, like the browser. So, I suggest you just go to YOUR carriers website, and download said OS, and install...

1. download OS
    2. install OS on pc...
    3. Delete the vendor file (you have to change your Windows file / folder settings to show ALL files so you can see it / find it...
    4. Open Desktop Manager
    5. Connect said BlackBerry
    6. It will automatically see the device, and thus force an upgrade of the OS (this is why you must delete the vendor file)...
    my carrier doesn't offer the OS to download on their site. everything they sell is OEM unlocked. All the programming for the black berry is done through the sim and using the pin from the blackberry.

i guess it wouldn't matter. if i use the AT&T OS. they're much closer to us, than any other vendor.
    11-01-07 08:16 AM
    hello all, im kinda new to the bahamas but im good with all blackberry problems, if you still have the problem give me a link
    02-14-09 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD