I am wondering how hysterical it will be for the "sales people" when I go into a mobile phone shop and ask about the ancient 8700g that I got off ebay...
    OK OK now you can all stop laughing, but I missed out on a playbook bid and it was an impulse buy in the last 2 minutes, sold without a battery and just a pic of it showing the "no battery" screen, which I still cannot work out because it was not plugged into a charger.
    But anyway, I got a battery and 2 questions arise:
    1. When its got a valid SIM (correct network and working in other phones) why does the phone show OFF by the antenna (its got an unknown password which I haven't yet wiped, and I might not bother based on any answers to Q2 below)
    2 Does the fact that it doesn't show any "home" page, but shows a message "myConnect BlackBerry Support Team" and "x0445" mean I should send it back because it's locked/unusable?
    All help/advice gratefully received. Cheers.
    11-27-13 04:40 PM
    I cannot remember that particular error message off the the top of my head, but as for the network antenna off message, it could simply be that the mobile network was disabled in settings.

First things first, enter the devices password wrong 10 times, that should trigger a full security wipe and unlock the device, from that point you'll have acess, you cna make sure all network connections are turned on (they should be after the wipe anyway) and you can make sure the device is unlocked for use on your carrier.
    11-28-13 12:51 PM
    Try "Googling" for a manual. You may luck out!
    I've done it for several old, outdated devices and have always found a guide. Some charge a few bucks but it's worth it!
    11-30-13 06:15 AM
    Try "Googling" for a manual. You may luck out!
    I've done it for several old, outdated devices and have always found a guide. Some charge a few bucks but it's worth it!
    I had got a download of a manual, but its not much use: it tells you how to do stuff, but not what to do if those things don't happen, I suppose they can't cover all the "ifs" and "buts", it is already 257 pages as it is!!

I cannot remember that particular error message off the the top of my head, but as for the network antenna off message, it could simply be that the mobile network was disabled in settings.

First things first, enter the devices password wrong 10 times, that should trigger a full security wipe and unlock the device, from that point you'll have acess, you cna make sure all network connections are turned on (they should be after the wipe anyway) and you can make sure the device is unlocked for use on your carrier.
    I have discovered why that error message is unrecognised (well it might be to a chosen few...) and why there were no internet returns on the phone number displayed: I rang the number and got thro to the technology department of a VERY large national organisation! They weren't able to find any records of it from its IMEI or PIN to say whether it had been legitimately disposed of... but that doesn't mean to say it had been LOL.
    And O2 took one look at it and said it was blocked, but I don't blame her, the shop was full of people wanting to buy new stuff not sort out old relics, a phrase which could apply to me and the phone

So folks, thanks for your help, it will be in the post as a "return to sender" at my earliest convenience. I may be back, but I shall certainly be more cautious if i get anything off ebay, they dont cal it The Bay of Fools for nothing
    Last edited by NewUserOldPhone; 11-30-13 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
    11-30-13 12:53 PM
    So basically you ignored the steps we told you to try and are sending it back? Why bother to ask then?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:35 AM
    Had you been had... you would have had to have known... had you been had!

Any Questions?
    12-09-13 06:37 AM